Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - it's 6, 7 minutes of misery at most in a 5k.  As opposed to at least half an hour in a marathon.  OK it's slightly more intense than marathon suffering but 5 minutes after the race you'll be feeling fine, maybe even thinking about how you could improve next time.

You grossly underestimate my ability to suffer. The first half hour of CIM wasn't bad....although the ending of Mt. Charleston brought the suck..HARD. I'm pretty sure the last time I ran this race (two years ago) trying to break 20 getting SMOKED in the last mile thinking "maybe I shouldn't have drank so much beer last night." It might have something to do with the suffering. I should have had them AFTER so I'd forget about the suffering.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - I often have people act like that when I'm running, especially if we're not that far apart pace-wise but I slowly pass them.  They desperately try to hang in, and sometimes come back for a second pass.  I understand it though, when I get passed on an easy run, I get the urge to show that I am faster than my current pace, and really have to tell myself to stick to the plan.

Here's a left field question (or leg side question for cricket fans).  Has anyone given blood in the middle of a training block?  I'm down to give blood next Tuesday.  It's a rest day, and Wednesday will be easy because it's a race week (not a goal race).  I've never felt much impact previously, but I've never been in the middle of a big training block.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I often have people act like that when I'm running, especially if we're not that far apart pace-wise but I slowly pass them.  They desperately try to hang in, and sometimes come back for a second pass.  I understand it though, when I get passed on an easy run, I get the urge to show that I am faster than my current pace, and really have to tell myself to stick to the plan.

Here's a left field question (or leg side question for cricket fans).  Has anyone given blood in the middle of a training block?  I'm down to give blood next Tuesday.  It's a rest day, and Wednesday will be easy because it's a race week (not a goal race).  I've never felt much impact previously, but I've never been in the middle of a big training block.

My funniest memory of this one was when I was doing some sprint intervals a couple of years ago.  I'd pass this one guy every time I sprinted, then he'd pass me back during my recovery jog.  This went on for like 6 repeats or something before I finished my workout.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I've had some hilarious impromptu races on training runs over the years.

Mark I was just about to settle into OKC vs the Jazz players were just about to tip off then they all left the arena and game postponed 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

I've had some hilarious impromptu races on training runs over the years.

Mark I was just about to settle into OKC vs the Jazz players were just about to tip off then they all left the arena and game postponed 

Gobert tested positive.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

watsonc123

I think there is a real possibility that Christchurch gets canned.  I suspect insurance is a big part of it.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Way too early to say that yet Watson.  Stopping public gatherings is one of the most draconian steps available - particularly in an election year - and considering we've had zero new cases in the last few days, things would have to get a lot worse before the possibility of that happening got on the radar.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have blood once. Double donation. My pace was slow and my heart rate was excessively high. I decided to never donate blood in the middle of a training cycle again. I will donate three times a year but not when I’m training. Besides, Rhys a great place to get infected by someone with something. Blood donations have to be tested and the ‘roll up your sleeves’ mentality can get you in contact with some germs that make a blood donation useless.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

zebano

Yeah, it was terrible. Paces felt way harder, HR jumped from zero to zone 3 instantly, easy runs were :30-minute slower per mile and it took about 5 days to feel normal. On the other hand I've donated plasma and run 4 hours latter and if I imbibe sufficient fluids, it's not a big deal.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I don't donate blood (can't, both because I'm too small and because I have ridiculously difficult veins).  For me personally, even getting routine bloodwork makes me feel lousy for a day or two.  I would have concerns that donating during a training cycle would dig me into a hole.

Also, as resident WADA/Anti-doping nerd, I should note that donating plasma is considered a doping violation.  I'm serious.  It's because they draw the blood out, remove the plasma, and then reintroduce your red blood cells.  It's that final step that is a doping violation.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

weatherboy80

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/12/nation/coronavirus-fears-may-push-boston-marathon-into-autumn/?fbclid=IwAR0oVVhsyU2VzvT6mhvWvE4MOMrkwv1qus82cY-b7nL-fOAFEUg5RSPwrVE

Yikes the Boston Marathon in September!!  That would be some fun heat training for sure.  I guess I could fun run it as a kickoff to CIM training 

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh god September? No point, not running that, unless the race start time is 5 am.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh god September? No point, not running that, unless the race start time is 5 am.

Sounds excellent to me. Guarenteed you won't be there just based on the starting time, and not because you'll have a baby to take care of at that point. Hope THAT is all going well.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Do it.  You will hear the words...Daddy, you were amazing!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Gobert tested positive.

My in-law's had floor seats to that game and decided against going due to the hysteria. Turned out in their favor.

Bad Idea coming tomorrow. Should be a fun and casual jaunt.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?