Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

My in-law's had floor seats to that game and decided against going due to the hysteria. Turned out in their favor.

Bad Idea coming tomorrow. Should be a fun and casual jaunt.

Ask if anyone has any toilet paper at aid stations.

"do you have to go to the bathroom?"

"No my wife told me to bring some home. I told her I went out to find some because of the corona virus thing going around. If I don't come back with at least four rolls she's going to know something is up."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

kcam

Yeah, it was terrible. Paces felt way harder, HR jumped from zero to zone 3 instantly, easy runs were :30-minute slower per mile and it took about 5 days to feel normal. On the other hand I've donated plasma and run 4 hours latter and if I imbibe sufficient fluids, it's not a big deal.

Interesting.  I used to donate blood quite regularly a bunch of years ago when I lived in Austin TX.  I would donate once every six weeks and I never noticed any effect at all on my running.  I would still do my normal training run that day and never adjusted my plan for it.  I was in my early 30's then.  Once I moved I just got out of the habit of donating blood and haven't done so for 25 years now.  Not sure how it would affect me now.

A little ashamed to say that when I was 18 and a poor college student I used to sell my plasma twice a week.  For about a year.  That never affected me in the least, except even now 40 years later I still have faint scars on the vein they used on both arms.  Yech.

I'll give an update on my progress towards sub 1:30 (since I haven't posed on the thread in a very long time).  I've been training and had a very good run of training until I went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras.  Was there 8 days and it was tough to run with everything going on there.  Now I'm back to training but it's been in fits and starts, really need to stabilize and get back into every day running.

• Ran 1:17:30 for a 10miler at the end of Jan.  Was a super hilly course and I ran it more like a fast tempo.  Kept HR at 145 the entire race.
      • Trained for another 6 weeks, did only tempo runs (HR of 150) and easy runs (HR of 125) - nothing fast.
      • Ran another 10mile race last Saturday in 1:14:43 so VERY good improvement on just the easies and tempos.  Race course was hilly and I kept HR at 150 for this race.
      • I have a 5K scheduled for Mar 29th and then another 10mile race the next week.  I am not confident that either one of these races will actually go off due to the Wuhan virus thing.  Already two local races have been canceled.  Sadly, the 10miler is on a flat, fast course and I had intended to go all out on that one. No limiting by HR on this race, just RACE. I hope hey hold the race.

Keep on training!

PS - Neither of these races indicate anything remotely close to 1:30 but my HM races won't be till the Fall so I've got time to condinue just trying to increase my fitness.

Kcam now that plasma selling is quite a way to make money !

I thought plasma is what is seen re entering the earth's orbit 

A little ironic that Gobert was purposely touching every reporter's microphones after an interview recently. That came back to bite him !

I guess now is just a good time to base build and have fun with running. Forget racing till this flu epidemic passes.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Jmac - hopefully you can run that other half.

me - I'm already accepting the fact that I'll be running some time trials. Honestly it's just a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

NY just banned all gatherings of 500+, so there goes that half. I think this season is over and my retirement is imminent.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Sad  I don't think even my local 5K HM will happen at this point going forward.  Going to suck if my lifetime HM PR was set in a race where I got directed of course.  I guess I can live with myself knowing I turned it back on and didn't quit!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark and watson - I think Christchurch will be in danger for sure.  In a month (or probably less) we'll be caught up with the USA.  To be honest, I think the City 2 Surf next weekend is in danger - while being a fun run, it's a big event.  It's beyond belief to me that the mosque shooting anniversary commemorations are even being considered.  I know it takes a lot for our PM to turn down a photo shoot but it's madness.

Blood donation: Seems like the general consensus is it's a bad idea.  I have a feeling it will be cancelled anyway (it's at my work).  We had a meeting yesterday to discuss our readiness for the whole business to work from home.  I don't think we're far away given it's local govt and they will panic.  The positive is that at least I'll be getting paid during this whole thing, which may not have been the case this time last year when I was at a small start up.  Also glad my USA trip was last year too.

me: Race cancellations and blood donations may not be relevant given the pain that's sprung up in my glute, in the exact same spot that took me out for 3 months last year.  It's not as bad but it feels like something.  I couldn't feel much yesterday and not a thing on my easy run last night but I've woken up sore.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Mark and watson - I think Christchurch will be in danger for sure.  In a month (or probably less) we'll be caught up with the USA.  To be honest, I think the City 2 Surf next weekend is in danger - while being a fun run, it's a big event.  It's beyond belief to me that the mosque shooting anniversary commemorations are even being considered.  I know it takes a lot for our PM to turn down a photo shoot but it's madness.

I actually don't have an issue with it (and I am no fan of our PM).  We've had no new cases in a few days, I don't think any of them were in the South Island to begin with anyway, so at this stage the risk is negligible.  Shutting down public events is a pretty drastic step and I don't think at this stage there's any evidence to justify that it's required.

It's also important to remember that most of the outbreaks in the US are in the areas with higher population density like NY and California.  Plenty of states have reported single-digit cases - or none at all.

Don't get me wrong, we're bound to import a few more cases and things will probably get worse, but NZ has two natural defences - you can only get here by air or sea, and our population density is relatively low.

The hysteria is actually getting a bit ridiculous.  We are dealing with something here that is only slightly more dangerous than the regular flu.

Steve - bummer on the niggle, hope it's nothing serious.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think the issue is it is 3 times more contagious than regular flu and the death rate about 30 times the regular flu.  Given our fitness and relative youth, I don't think it will be that bad for us, but it seems elderly suffer the most.  So there won't be enough hospital beds if everyone gets hit at once, so I definitely see the value in taking measures to delay the peak or spread out the cases.  There will come a time when there's no point trying to contain it anymore so mass events will come back.  Plus people who have had it are immune so transmission will start to drop.  To be honest, if I'm going to get it I'd rather get it now so I can get treatment, in the unlikely event that it hits me especially hard.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - those numbers are categorically wrong.  Most estimates of transmission of Covid-19 have it that each person infected spreads it to 2-3 others, versus ~1.5 for the regular flu.  The mortality rate is certainly worse than the regular flu (0.1%) but not by a factor of 30 - it was 2.9% in Hubei but 0.4% in other provinces of China - and it's almost completely concentrated in the elderly.

Basically if we shipped all the old people off to the Chathams we would have nothing to worry about.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The infectious disease expert (Michael Osterholm) I listened to on the Joe Rogan podcast (yes, I listen to Joe sometimes), gave those figures and said he believed they were conservative.  I agree, there's no need to panic but some measures need to be taken so the health system doesn't collapse.  Although if too many people listen to that podcast we may see some panic, it was rather sobering.  Joe, of course, managed a 20 minute segue about deer hunting.

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - I had a very similar attitude as you, but as I've learned more about it, it's exactly what Steve said: the problem is the hospitalization rates. You're completely right that the numbers right now are all of because of testing. But the scary fact of 20% of people needing hospitalization is what's so bad about this. That's why Italy is a disaster right now: they don't have enough hospital beds and doctors are choosing who to save. That's why they need to slow the rate down.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

KCam, I did the same with plasma but mostly right out of college when I was trying to have a little bit of spending money. The rows and rows of poor people hooked up to machines selling their bodily fluids combined with the utter ineptitude of some of the staff at drawing blood quickly convinced me it just wasn't worth it.  That's some nice progress on your 10 mile tempos!

DW - thanks for the doping heads up.

flavio - Solo time trials are the worst, maybe even worse than corona virus. I'm super excited that I both know a lot of fast people and miles are easy to time trial, so when my race gets cancelled I'll just let people know I'm bringing a 12 pack to the track and I'll be sure to have a couple of pacers to help me PR.

Steve - I hope your glutes are alright. Did you get a diagnosis last time? Hopefully you're catching it early enough that it won't take 3 months this time. Have you tried things like massage, ART and dry needling (I'm not a doctor, those are just things that have helped with soft tissue injuries for me).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

One other thing to consider about COVID 19...I've read in multiple places that a mild case can still have longlasting, possibly permanent consequences for one's lung function.  Not severe enough to interfere with normal life, but even a mild reduction in lung function isn't great for an endurance athlete.

Another reason for all of us specifically to be quite respectful and wary.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I mean....if people in the highest population densities would just stay  the fuck inside, wash their hands, and think of how much they're spreading a virus we'd possibly have this thing under control.

There is a video game named Plague on smart phones. I played it about 10 years ago. The goal is to infect the world with a virus, or other things, and kill everyone. Literally everything going on right now mirrors that game. If you get into a country where the Olympics are you can spread it to other countries. Countries close airports and seaports, so you need it to travel by land (animals, birds, livestock, water) and Iceland is pretty hard to infect since they only have boats. Eventualyl they added a part where people turned into zombies and attacked others. Just stay the fuck home unless you MUST go out for stuff like groceries. This isn't a time to go check out the newest music show or try that restaurant you've been waiting to check out.

IT's bad when cheerios (honey nut and regular) are being sold out at Costco. Shop towels (the blue ones that are like 4 times the price of the cheap ones people always buy) are sold out. Even the leather wipes that Costco says they have for A YEAR are sold out. I guess the best time to panic buy things is where there is a virus spreading around because people don't stay clean. The panic is feeding itself and I just legit need to buy toilet paper because I'm out. I buy it in bulk so I don't run out mid week mid poop. Same reason I buy two packs of coffee beans. Running out of coffee Wednesday Morning SUCKS...unless I have a second bag of coffee in the freezer I can open and resupply this weekend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22