Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - I hope your glutes are alright. Did you get a diagnosis last time? Hopefully you're catching it early enough that it won't take 3 months this time. Have you tried things like massage, ART and dry needling (I'm not a doctor, those are just things that have helped with soft tissue injuries for me).

I don't think I got to the bottom of it last time, and it doesn't feel as bad this time.  It may come right and I've had the odd niggle there since, it's certainly low on the pain scale.  I've been getting regular massage since, last one 2 weeks ago and next one tomorrow, and been focusing on that area.  I really hope it's nothing major given my current fitness.  It's a bit tricky about deciding when to run and when to rest - when I test it running, I can't feel it but a few hours later it is quite sore.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

IT's bad when cheerios (honey nut and regular) are being sold out at Costco. 

I read that as cheetos at first and my heart skipped a beat.  That would be time to panic.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I read that as cheetos at first and my heart skipped a beat.  That would be time to panic.

I'm not sure they sell Cheetos. Maybe that massive barrel of cheese balls that are like Cheetos just not as good.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

There is a video game named Plague on smart phones. I played it about 10 years ago. The goal is to infect the world with a virus, or other things, and kill everyone. Literally everything going on right now mirrors that game. If you get into a country where the Olympics are you can spread it to other countries. Countries close airports and seaports, so you need it to travel by land (animals, birds, livestock, water) and Iceland is pretty hard to infect since they only have boats. Eventualyl they added a part where people turned into zombies and attacked others. Just stay the fuck home unless you MUST go out for stuff like groceries. This isn't a time to go check out the newest music show or try that restaurant you've been waiting to check out.

I've got that on my phone.  Iceland and New Zealand were always the two hardest countries to get it into.  If you didn't get them early on it was quite hard to get a clean sweep. They actually added a 'fake news' variant a few months ago although I haven't played it in a while.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Crisis averted!  The cricket is still on tonight.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've got that on my phone.  Iceland and New Zealand were always the two hardest countries to get it into.  If you didn't get them early on it was quite hard to get a clean sweep. They actually added a 'fake news' variant a few months ago although I haven't played it in a while.

Excellent. Start in the Philippines. Try to get to the Olympics, then hope everyone spreads your virus by sneezing. Hopefully they shut down all Costco stores in the Americas.

oh and my goal half marathon has been postponed. The City and County have pulled the permits. All outdoor socially enjoyable events have been banned until the end of April. So my 5k and half marathon PRs are safe.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

NY just banned all gatherings of 500+, so there goes that half. I think this season is over and my retirement is imminent.

Damn there goes the usual saturday night party at Jmacs apartment 

Steve/Jmac I think I was watching that podcast yesterday. Up until then I had been quietly ok with this virus 

Steve I just fitted an alarm for the CEO of NZ cricket this morning. His partner was filling me in on the no audience at the cricket news. Apparently the ladies had 80 000 for their final !

They have that map now where you it lists all cases of Corona in numerical order. Kinda like the Olympic medal tally but you want to be on the bottom.....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

It's also important to remember that most of the outbreaks in the US are in the areas with higher population density like NY and California.  Plenty of states have reported single-digit cases - or none at all.

I'm afraid that lots of those states haven't reported many cases because they haven't tested many people yet or received the test results back.  Nationwide, the number of cases has about tripled in less than a week (~500-~1,500), and I think a lot of the increase is the result of starting to process more tests.

I'm hoping to run a rustbuster 5K Saturday but won't sign up until then.  Called this morning to see whether it was still on so I would know whether to do a long run (if cancelled) or a few 200s (if on), and was told it's still on.  We'll see.  It's the last race in a local winter series, and 300+ are already signed up.  With that many people, I'll be surprised if the organizers go ahead since nearly all sports leagues/events in the U.S. have been suspended or postponed or cancelled in the last 24 hours.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JamesD

JamesD

P.S.  As a board (not phone) gamer, I recommend Pandemic for when we're all stuck at home.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Damn there goes the usual saturday night party at Jmacs apartment 

Steve/Jmac I think I was watching that podcast yesterday. Up until then I had been quietly ok with this virus 

Steve I just fitted an alarm for the CEO of NZ cricket this morning. His partner was filling me in on the no audience at the cricket news. Apparently the ladies had 80 000 for their final !

They have that map now where you it lists all cases of Corona in numerical order. Kinda like the Olympic medal tally but you want to be on the bottom.....

If he can keep it to 499, imagine how hard he'll go if he follows through with his retirement!

I tried watching some of that women's final, I really did.  The standard just doesn't match other women's sports like running, tennis etc

No crowd tonight will surely cost Australian cricket some cash - I expected a big turn out to see NZ, the moral world champions.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

I'm afraid that lots of those states haven't reported many cases because they haven't tested many people yet or received the test results back.  Nationwide, the number of cases has about tripled in less than a week (~500-~1,500), and I think a lot of the increase is the result of starting to process more tests.

Makes sense.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Full disclosure: I've figured out my alternative option in the event Christchurch Marathon gets cancelled.  I still think it's early days here but I like having a plan.  Most likely it would be Tauranga Marathon in September, which conveniently is the weekend after National Road Race Champs.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Quite a good article from someone historically skeptical about doomsday predictions:

https://reaction.life/coronavirus-is-the-wolf-on-the-loose-this-time-the-warnings-are-not-overdone/

My backup is the South Island half in August...if this really does cancel the ChCh marathon then it may cancel that too though.  After that I guess I just wait and see.  For now all we can do is stick to our plans (unless you have a certain cancellation).  Assuming the pain in my butt turns out to be nothing, I'm in a very good training cycle so would be hugely frustrated if it went to waste, but obviously there's a bigger picture.  Really feeling for the likes of JMac who has already been impacted and looks to be in incredible shape.

2024 Races:

JamesD

JamesD

My niece is coming home on Saturday two months early from her now-cancelled college semester in Paris.  France has more confirmed cases and deaths than the U.S., at least so far.  She had spring break last month (well, they call it spring break) and got to travel around Europe before there were many cases.  She'll be in quarantine at home for 14 days, which we think means my sister & her husband will be quarantined too.  I'm planning to do a couple of grocery runs for them, though I'm sure my sister will go tomorrow before the quarantine starts.

Mark Tauranga runs past my house so I will cheer you on. 2.35 to 2.40 usually wins it so you will have a good shot. I believe the Mount base track is fixed now so no more steps.

The NZ Piha surf event is cancelled too.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "