Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

When the media/newspapers make a big deal out of not panic buying and then publish pics of panic buying, it actually becomes an even bigger problem. I tried to buy 1 packet of paracetamol today because my wife isn’t feeling well. I went to 4 different stores and they were all sold out.

Imagine if snowflake kids today had to self isolate without internet/phone or PlayStation...wow, I pity the parents!

they do. the parents who created the generation where everyone has to be nice to each other is watching those same people buying everything they can because "screw them. I need this more." 24 rolls of paper towels later we are okay. Just don't spill any soda on the table and if you do use cloth to clean it up. These paper towels aren't for wiping down the table when you make a mess.

paracetamol …. so like Tylenol? I mean...I can probably mail you a giant 500 capsule bottle if you want.

Marky_Mark Oh the infamous "never let a crisis go to waste" line. I love it. Especially when someone stockpiles a bunch of cleaning supplies and toilet paper, then gets BANNED from selling it because "its not fair" for HIM to jack up prices and profit. It's only for those rich business owners to do such things as increase prices. You know....like Uber drivers with their "surge" pricing during sporting events. Hopefully those drivers can survive off that money now that no one is going out or taking social shared driving trips anywhere.

This was pretty awesome.

Oh and this too. Apparently it's acceptable to tell people "we don't want your kind here" when it doesn't have to do with their outward apperances.

Apparently there was a woman selling toilet paper in Utah who was fined over $1,000 for trying to sell toilet paper. People reported her as she had a driveway full of toilet paper charging $100.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Well in what used to be a race week, I smashed a 70 minute with 5km tempo last night and felt fantastic (5km in 20:46 after 8km easy).  I'm going to keep targeting Christchurch on May 31 but I know it is unlikely.  So here's an interesting topic.  If I reach what I consider race fitness at close to PR level, then all races are off and assuming I don't want to do a time trial, what next?  Back to base building or try to stay at the fitness peak and, if so, how?

I'm going to keep working towards Christchurch until I know it's off.  This is a fast-moving situation... things are already getting back under control in China but who knows how long the rest of the world will take?

If it's off, I'll refocus my training and build towards August/September races instead.  You're not going to lose fitness by not racing... I think the bigger question is how to keep the training productive and how to keep building on that platform you've already got - and also keeping motivated when there's uncertainty over whether races will go ahead.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Crazy times !

My wife said the supermarket was busier than xmas today with lots of empty shelves.

Flavio that's crazy. They have actually stated here that home quarantine still allows walks, runs, and biking outside here.

They have cancelled our Pay what you want Tauranga Half which was in april. They have introduced the pay what you want idea a couple of years ago and it seems a success.

Rune hope you get on top of it and find some shoes that work.

Zebano you are the resident triathlete on here 

Triathlon is very popular here.

My work is quiet this week although people tend to get more security conscious in times of worry. I install alarm systems. I feel bad for tourism and businesses linked to that.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

My work is quiet this week although people tend to get more security conscious in times of worry. I install alarm systems. I feel bad for tourism and businesses linked to that.

It is going to be an absolute bloodbath for our tourism sector.  Service sector (restaurants etc.) will be not far behind either.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I think I just entered a race...facebook group covid 19 estuary handicap race 8.5kms round our local estuary.

They want a 5k time to base individual starts from. I put down 35 mins but they have bartered me down to 19.15. It's on April 4th.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Well...About to do a bunch of reading to get caught up on the thread.

Still been running despite the out look that there will be no races for a long long time.  Things are only getting crazier at work.  Commutable diseases and the homeless, those food insecure, etc. is eating up my time the last two weeks. (I work for a county gov't).  I also have a few shifts coming up in a shelter (church basement with 44 men sharing one bathroom and 2 bedrooms.  So with a pregnant wife and 2.5 y.o. little boy, my anxiety is pretty high. 82 and 81miles and change each week

M 2-Mar 9 1:03:17 Still a little sluggish
                  4.5 0:31:18 Easy w/ 6x 100m strides, ball and socket on right hip sore on impact, need to start left leg strengthening again
              Tu 3-Mar 9 0:59:30 6 x 0.5mi @ 5:50/mi w/ 0.25mi recovery (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) the rest at @7 min/mile (accidentally did 6 instead of 8)
              W 4-Mar 9 1:02:05 7 Easy, 2x.5 @ 5:50, then cool down
                4-Mar 6.78 0:54:08 C'ville last minute run. Wife didn't go to her class, so I decided to run. Super slow pace.
              Th 5-Mar 10 1:05:52 12 x 0.25mi @ 5:40/mi w/ 0.25mi recovery (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) the rest at @7:03 min/mile. This felt really good. Didn't really feel it until the last 2 repeats. Felt good to get the legs moving. I think doing the really slow recovery last night to clean out the legs, led them to feeling really good this morning. When I get back outside for all my runs, I may need to slow down my easy doubles to really clean the legs and joints out.
              F 6-Mar 9 1:03:27 Nearing the end of Tread Season!!!!!!!!!!
              Sa 7-Mar 15.28 1:45:39 Tried to push the second half, but wind just was killer. Legs turnover not great. Don't feel particularly tired, but just couldn't get the pace rolling.
              Su 8-Mar 10 1:13:28 10 mile out and back on the river. Ran slow to try to make sure is was recovery. so many people I was weaving the whole time.
              M 9-Mar 9.01 1:08:13 River loop. Kept it really easy. Checked the box.
                  4.6 32:31:00 Easy w/ 6x 100m strides
              Tu 10-Mar 10 1:04:37 4 x 1mi @ 5:50-5:55/mi w/ 0.5mi recovery (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) the rest at @7 min/mile Felt good, had to make a quick bathroom break after 2nd rep
              W 11-Mar 9 1:07:36 Easy 9 @ 7:30 Progressed from 8 down to 7:17 as I got warmed up
              Th 12-Mar 9.05 1:06:30 9 Easy, Ran up and down Selby Ave as a O'Gara 8k Preview. Hillier than I thought.
              F 13-Mar 8.31 58:14:00 Kind of a bummer of a run. O'Gara's 8k the first of many races to be canceled
              Sa 14-Mar 19.01 2:18:52 Hilly loop around the lake in Cumberland. Good to get out of the city. The hills on this were brutal.
              Su 15-Mar 12.16 1:30:27 Just never felt warmed up. Just got it done with Hazel jogging with me.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well, it looks NYC (if not all of the US) is going the way of Italy. I just hope we can show the same sort of national pride we’re seeing from across the pond and not divisiveness.

Everyone stay safe. Kiwis, I think you have some geographical advantage that maybe you can stem the tide.

I’m currently searching for USATF certified courses, but if not, will do the 13.15. The problem is that most of them are on the road or in Central Park, both of which are not good. Central Park is too hilly (yeah yeah Mark I know, but when you’re running a half marathon, 250 meters of gain in half sucks), and obviously can’t run a road race. I’m trying to find something on a pedestrian path or trail, as that will be easier to run the tangents.

Regarding immunity: James thank you for posting that question because it’s been on my mind, especially with my wife. I actually did some research on this, and the latest is that the idea that you are susceptible to disease after a hard effort is not true. Obviously, medical/sports research changes all the time, but this made me more comfortable. I’ll also say that my chances of getting corona are almost 0. I am working from home now, NYC has shut down all non-essential businesses, so the only way I catch it is walking the dog or getting groceries.

For all of you wondering the same thing during this pandemic, I encourage you to read through this. There are some media-based summaries of it, but the study itself is very interesting, even if you just read the summary

Debunking the Myth of Exercise-Induced Immune Suppression

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Last week update:

M - 9 on treadmill

Tu - 12 on treadmill (2 mile, 4 miles @ 6:19 w/incline, 5:00 jog, 3 miles @ 6:25, cooldown)

W - 10 miles easy, finally outside

Th - 6 mile recovery

Fr - 8 w/ strides

Sa - 5 miles

Su - 10 easy

Total 60.1

Had a youth retreat on Friday/Saturday that is my biggest spring event for the year. Was planning to do long run on Friday morning, but in light of all of the crazy events and questions, I didn't want to dedicate too much time away from my phone as I was already at the hotel that was hosting it. Didn't sleep well all weekend just trying to stay on top of things.

Sunday, long day again with some meetings after church that took a lot of time, so didn't have a ton of time to get in the miles and didn't want to do a full long run and mess up training this week.

And now...10 miles today and planning on getting in some major miles in the next few weeks since we just get to be home. Assuming the Indy Mini will be canceled since it is May 2. But the following week (at the end of the 8 week CDC suggestion) is another half in Kansas that is the same distance away. Just putting that in my mind to continue training hard and intentional.

At worst, I'm in really good shape for the vacation that looks like my wife and I will take in May instead of next week, so always silver linings, right?

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I’m currently searching for USATF certified courses, but if not, will do the 13.15. The problem is that most of them are on the road or in Central Park, both of which are not good. Central Park is too hilly (yeah yeah Mark I know, but when you’re running a half marathon, 250 meters of gain in half sucks), and obviously can’t run a road race. I’m trying to find something on a pedestrian path or trail, as that will be easier to run the tangents.

JMac - How about a weekend away in Vermont?  I did a long run on the Burlington Bike Path a few years ago, it's perfect.  There's a race there called Half Marathon Unplugged I think so you should be able to replicate the course.

mrakers - Races or not, it's definitely better to be in great shape!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Wait a second, with all this coronavirus talk I think we might've missed the fact that PIWI HAS ENTERED A RACE!!!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Wait a second, with all this coronavirus talk I think we might've missed the fact that PIWI HAS ENTERED A RACE!!!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Mrakers if it's a summer vacation then yes get that body out and show off those lean muscles 

I last did a race in June 2018 Mark so it's not like a new thing...... no entry fee no prize and running alone, now that's what I call a race.

watsonc123

Good luck Piwi.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mark Sorry to hear about your Brother and his wife's loss.  My sister and her husband lost their child at birth several years ago it was very difficult for them.  Watson glad to hear the hamstring is getting better.

Piwi thanks for the good advise .

Steve unfortunately no...I'm not getting paid to do both... but hopefully my official start day will be declared from 3/15 on, and then my raise will go into effect.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Aright guys, this was fun while it lasted.

Not only I woke up with a back out of place today, I've also learned that the local athletics federation is asking runners to stay home and stop all training.

The rationale is that I could injure myself and require a hospital bed or or medical care, and we need those to focus on the COVID-19 patients.

I agree with that so effectively today me and DW are stopping all my running outside. Everyone is doing such a great sacrifice, it stands to reason that I also do my part.

Since a dreadmill is both dreadful and 400 euros, I won't be running inside either.

I'll try to keep the strength training inside with calisthenics. No pulling exercises though.

Stay safe

Link for the curious (In italian) Link

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly