Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - I've heard that, but haven't looked into it much. This is "just" an extra 3 weeks and "only" until the end of May.
    For a tech company that likes to sell other companies on doing things in new!, innovative!, exciting!, and *Insert Industry Buzzword Here!* ways, my company's approach to handling things internally is markedly stuck in the 1950s.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark all I can say is that you sound just like me 2 weeks ago. I agree that Italy will be a worst case scenario mainly because their population is so old, but the only way a country can avoid the fate of the US is heavy surveillance, like HK/Singapore/SK are doing, which doesn't seem likely in your society.

Steve - I may not even get a choice, our mayor announced today they're considering a "shelter in place" protocol. Again, if you can exercise, that's fine, but it's not clear that will happen as seen with Flavio. I did do a bunch of research on certified courses in the area, but haven't found one to my liking. Either way, I'm going to taper down as if I'm running a time trial Sunday. Would probably run later in the afternoon to take advantage of lower winds. I hate the idea of it, but there's a very real probability that no race will be run in the USA before my wife gives birth so I won't have a choice.

I'm pretty down an out overall. I can deal with everything so far, but if we're asked to stay indoors, I will go crazy. The trees/flowers are JUST starting to bloom in NYC and running around the park and looking at them is the only real bright spot in my day. It gives me hope. If that gets taken away (not complaining about it, I know why they're doing it), I'm not sure how I will stay sane if this goes on for months. Don't have the luxury of buying a treadmill in my tiny apartment.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Mark all I can say is that you sound just like me 2 weeks ago. I agree that Italy will be a worst case scenario mainly because their population is so old, but the only way a country can avoid the fate of the US is heavy surveillance, like HK/Singapore/SK are doing, which doesn't seem likely in your society.

I'm not going to lose my optimism!  Our stance in NZ has been pretty proactive on a number of fronts, whereas the US has been somewhat reactive.  Don't get me wrong, we will get more cases here, but I would be surprised if we hit a 'shelter in place' type situation.  As I've mentioned there are a number of structural differences between NZ and other parts of the world (like the US and Italy).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - I'm not sure we can be too confident about our response.  And this sort of thing would make Italians cringe if they followed our small news sites...

How to cause an outbreak in NZ

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I'm not sure we can be too confident about our response.  And this sort of thing would make Italians cringe if they followed our small news sites...

How to cause an outbreak in NZ

Can't remember where I read it but one prominent epidemiologist actually said we'd done a very good job so far on almost every front, only criticism was potentially we should've moved quicker to close the border.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Can't remember where I read it but one prominent epidemiologist actually said we'd done a very good job so far on almost every front, only criticism was potentially we should've moved quicker to close the border.

Yeah that's what I'm referring to.  That's the most important action.  Now I guess the decision on reducing gatherings even more is the key - better to go too early than too late.

2024 Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Steve - I may not even get a choice, our mayor announced today they're considering a "shelter in place" protocol. 

It's got to be hard in NYC - your housing is so compact that being stuck at home would be extremely difficult.

OTOH, with your population density, it has to be very hard to maintain 6 feet spacing.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

This IS the government we're talking about. Not exactly known for efficiency. The boss' boss said she would expect people to keep the same hours. You know....because if I need something from my boss or she needs to get ahold of me (nothing I do is mission critical in my definition) it could be a problem if it occurs at 3:30 and I'm not nearby. I could take care of it 12 hours later. Something along the lines of "can you change this document to these corrections?"

Definitely a prime example of "tell me about a time where you had to make a difficult decision without all the information."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mark I got that Parkrun email this morning. No great surprise.

Watson you were right about the Wellington cases.

After reading Flavios post this morning I had an image of myself running laps around my house.....

I'm trying to stay upbeat but have that little bit of anxiety eating at me that I'm sure we all share.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

After reading Flavios post this morning I had an image of myself running laps around my house.....

My boyfriend suggested that I use this time to learn the "running man" dance.

Got prolotherapy injections in my sacrum and lower back today to tighten up everything there, which was confirmed to be quite loose (insert jokes about me being a "loose woman" here).  We also did the hamstring attachments in a "why the heck not" since I'm apparently an easy injection target.

Since we did so many injections, he told me to back off the running for a few days.  I really hope I don't miss out on my last few days of running before I get locked at home.

(but if I do, the injections were still the right choice.  I _already_ feel much more stable in my lower back - the swelling from the shots locks everything down immediately, even though the actual tightening from the shots takes longer to kick in.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well I'm getting closer to working from home...someone at work has been sent home after his flatmate tested positive.  No symptoms but I expect our organisation to be overly cautious.

2024 Races:

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Brilliant

My boyfriend suggested that I use this time to learn the "running man" dance.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Well I'm getting closer to working from home...someone at work has been sent home after his flatmate tested positive.  No symptoms but I expect our organisation to be overly cautious.

Was that one of the new cases announced today?

A lot of sports are getting shut down now too.  Hockey NZ has cancelled all club and school games until May 2nd, NZ Cricket canned their season early too.

Was out at a client this morning and tourism sector revenues are down 80-90%.  For that sector, at least, it's WAY worse than the GFC.

Just crossing my fingers that Southern Lakes HM doesn't also fall by the wayside...

Darkwave - well, at least that's another positive.  Also... 'easy injection target'... ???

In other news, Microsoft and Sony possibly have the best window of opportunity ever to release details about the forthcoming Xbox One X and PS5.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think it must be the Christchurch case that was announced today but who knows.

I think you'll be very lucky if Southern Lakes goes ahead.  With the potential for hundreds of new cases by the end of the week, gatherings could be down to 50 people.

2024 Races:

I agree Steve it's not looking great for any events this year.

I've got an idea to invent a device that you can run on inside with some sort of moving belt.. what do you guys think 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "