Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Ha, one beer per mile and I'd be 3 sheets to the wind in no time.  The good thing about running, it makes me a very cheap date.

It's crazy how much lower my tolerance for alcohol is now I'm a serious runner.  I know that aerobic fitness means you metabolise alcohol faster, but the reduction in body fat also has a big impact.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ha, one beer per mile and I'd be 3 sheets to the wind in no time.  The good thing about running, it makes me a very cheap date.

Don't worry. You'll get there eventually. Through a rigorous training plan you'll probably be able to pull off a 12 miler within the year.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The thing with runners is that we have addictive personalities, which is scary in a time like this. I do worry if it gets to the point where people can't run. I know that my alcohol consumption is directly correlated to MPW. You can't really drink the night before a big run the next day, and I also find that when I get home from my nightly runs, I just want to eat and go to sleep.

When my training dies down, that's when it's easier to have a few glasses. The stress of life living in an epicenter for the virus certainly does not help.

Everyone, please stay safe, whether it's from the virus itself, or the impact it can have on your mental health. I am doing my best to find other outlets: really starting to enjoy my Nintendo Switch! It's a fun way to end the day.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

2 beers I'm good 3 I'm a little silly 

My mileage will likely go up 2 runs per day if I get stir crazy

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Agreed, when I'm having a forced break for whatever reason, it's really easy to think why not to having a drink when I feel like I have no reason not to.  Of course, there are plenty of reasons not to apart from running the next day but it's an easy mindset to slip into.

I'm discovering that the difficulty in doing a time trial may not be the trial itself, but training for it.  I know it's early days but this week I've found it really hard to force myself through the pain.  Even today on an easy run it actually crossed my mind to shorten it or not bother.  I've got a few little niggles which I would probably ignore when things are normal but I'm going to ease it back for this week at least just in case.  Getting injured now would not be good.  I'm seeing far more people out walking and cycling than usual but I guess that shouldn't be a surprise since that's pretty much all you're allowed to leave the house for.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

So, Hawkes Bay Marathon just announced they've rescheduled for 19 September.

Tauranga Marathon has booked for 20 September since last year, and Rotorua rescheduled to 26 September at least a week ago.  For those unfamiliar with NZ geography, those 3 races are also reasonably close to each other geographically (possibly the 3 closest marathons in the country?!).

Now, I know Hawkes Bay Marathon is much more of a lifestyle event but this just struck me as a totally arrogant move.  Plenty of other places they could put it on the calendar between August and November.  At a time when there is likely to be a lot of built-up demand for races organisers should actually try and co-ordinate things.  This is utterly dumb.  I wasn't a fan of the Queenstown and Hawkes Bay races anyway but I will now make sure to go out of my way to actively criticise them.

/rant

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Quality rant.  I'm actually looking at Queenstown this year - it's not my favourite race, although I do love the finish through town.  My partners parents have a house up on the hill with 2 rooms they rent out on Air BnB so I've reserved one of those.  Helps having nice accommodation and someone to drive me out to the start.

So I might get the Cherry Blossom in September as well.  South Island half on August 2 is probably very dicey now.

2024 Races:

watsonc123

Once I have recovered from injury, I will be happy with any local race that's on.  NZ COULD be at Covid-19 level 2 or higher for quite a while

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Quality rant.  I'm actually looking at Queenstown this year - it's not my favourite race, although I do love the finish through town.  My partners parents have a house up on the hill with 2 rooms they rent out on Air BnB so I've reserved one of those.  Helps having nice accommodation and someone to drive me out to the start.

So I might get the Cherry Blossom in September as well.  South Island half on August 2 is probably very dicey now.

Going out of my way here to actively criticise Queenstown Marathon hahaha.  YOU SUCK QUEENSTOWN MARATHON!!!!  It's a nice course but not the quickest.  But if you have free accommodation then that's a big plus.

For stuff to start happening in July / August, it will be dependent on:

1. The lockdown not extending beyond 4 weeks
                    2. Mass gathering rules being progressively relaxed beyond the lockdown

If the lockdown actually squashes it, my view is that the government will try and get things back to normal as quickly as we safely can.  If we are confident there are no cases in the country, we just need to aggressively control the risk of imported cases via air and sea and there is no reason that we couldn't have a domestic economy functioning completely normally.

Keep an eye on Wellington Marathon (early July) and Taupo Marathon (early August).  They will be the next two that may pull the pin.  I suspect they won't do it until there's a clearer picture of what the above 2 factors might look like.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think our numbers are just going to get worse for some time.  My mate who arrived on Monday said this is exactly what he experienced:

Lax NZ border control

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Yep - most models suggest they'll get worse for at least 11-12 days once the lockdown has started - this will be existing cases that arose before the lockdown took effect.  If people are behaving themselves during the lockdown, they should start to improve after that.

Also, still looking forward to JMac's race report!!!!  Not sure why it's taking so long... it doesn't take that long to go to the supermarket.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yep - most models suggest they'll get worse for at least 11-12 days once the lockdown has started - this will be existing cases that arose before the lockdown took effect.  If people are behaving themselves during the lockdown, they should start to improve after that.

Also, still looking forward to JMac's race report!!!!  Not sure why it's taking so long... it doesn't take that long to go to the supermarket.

It does if there's a one in one out requirement and the counter needs to be sterilised after each customer!  I'm not even joking, a supermarket down here is doing that

2024 Races:

I wouldn't plan too much this year yet. Mark do Rotorua much as I hate to dis my hometown marathon 

I tried to buy 2 boxes of beer from the supermarket today and they said no. So just one but that's ok for tonight 

All non essential travel banned from tomorrow. Runs from home ok but rules seem to change daily. How far from hope do you Kiwi guys think is ok ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I wouldn't plan too much this year yet. Mark do Rotorua much as I hate to dis my hometown marathon 

I tried to buy 2 boxes of beer from the supermarket today and they said no. So just one but that's ok for tonight 

All non essential travel banned from tomorrow. Runs from home ok but rules seem to change daily. How far from hope do you Kiwi guys think is ok ?

Runs from home are definitely OK.  Driving somewhere to run from there, not really clear.  I don't see the issue if you drive somewhere by yourself, run by yourself, and come home, but some statements seem to suggest that might not be OK.

I'm probably still looking to go up to ~30km for long runs which would be a max of 15km from home (also the places that I might drive to to run, like the track or the Hobsonville Pt. coastal walkway, are both <10km away haha).  I'll likely still drive to the track on Sat morning but I'll only run if no-one else is up there.

Just to be on the safe side I might not run past the military airbase down the road at Whenuapai though haha.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark and Piwi - stocking up the non perishables, I see 

Well the UK is explicitly allowing people to run and do exercise outside.

Italy's numbers are going down, so hopefully the super strict measures will be relaxed a bit. I'm mostly concerned with the ban on outside activities as that's the current target for online harassment.

Never mind the dozens of industry employees who had to work without any safety measures and are now inflating the number of infected. sigh....

Anyway, a local newspaper was floating an idea of freeing up anyone with the antibodies for COVID.

Also under 55ers.

I think I heard Andrew Cuomo stating something similar yesterday.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly