RWOL Refugees -- (Read 3876 times)

dallison

registered pw

For those of us clearly ignorant of RWOL, what happened to cause the exodus?  For me back a few years ago I left Coolrunning because Active bought them and they were going to start charging money and I thought it was a total debacle.  Besides, when I got over here I liked it a LOT better anyway.  Did something like this happen at RW?

Way too much spam and rodale wasn't taking care of it or helping the admins.

The site is always so slow and when you post something in a thread or your running log, you have to pray it gets posted or recorded. I thought someone said that they were going to charge for the running log as the classic still works.

I may donate here but i'll wait to do so.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

xor

Yes, over the next month, RWOL is migrating everyone off the classic log and onto a free version of training peaks.  Which is confusing and doesn't do some basic stuff... but which will encourage you to buy the fancy version (either 80 something or 100 something bucks a year, depending) to do better stuff.

This was listed in the RWOL upgrade FAQ for a few days. Along with all the "cool" stuff that the upgrade did for the forums.  Which as we know, was a bunch of bullshit.

Docket_Rocket

Click on either link in my response above.

I saw.  Still not THAT many.  But getting bigger, I see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

xor

I saw.  Still not THAT many.  But getting bigger, I see.

Give it time, sis.  And smile.

Docket_Rocket

And I need a picture here.  Been in RA for months and never thought about that.  Oops.

If only I could find how....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

StepbyStep-SH

The posting delays over there are still awful and the spam is popping up left and right.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

The massive amounts of SPAM and the less user-friendly log are what sent me this way.

dallison

registered pw

exactly, that is why i am making this my new home.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Robert31320

Team TJ

Looks like I found a few folks here. Big grin

Running for TJ because he can't.

tracilynn

This place is nice.  Likey.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Tiefsa

I tried to keep my log at Runner's World for a while, just because I wanted to see what it was like there.

Actually, I've used a lot of different ones including Map My Run, Runner's World, Garmin Connect, Daily Mile, and Running AHEAD so I could write about it on my website.  

I keep my running log here.  It's the best.  Runner's World is similar because it's an earlier design that Eric made. 

xor

Tief, RWOL is in the process of shutting that log down entirely, in favor of a "free" version of training peaks.  Where free means it is bizarrely organized and missing some basic features... but it will try to upsell you on the premium version that, you know, works better.

runfoolery

Personally, I use SportTracks as my main log. I'll probably update my log here from my ST log for reference when asking training questions.

I like having my log on my laptop and not in the ether where it can just disappear on someone's whim - not that i expect that to happen here, but just generally speaking, and old habits are hard to break. I have my log copied on two external HDs and two laptops, so I'm reasonably certain the only thing that'll wipe it out is a fire or some such event at my home, and then I'll have bigger problems to deal with... and I suppose I could use Google Drive to take care of that contingency, though I hate supporting major corporations' bids for world domination.

MTA: SportTracks has the added benefit of plugins to support some pretty crazy analysis. Old Man Biking has quite a few, though I have yet to pay for any permanently - not sure I need them yet, the basic ST functionality is pretty cool.

Tiefsa

Tief, RWOL is in the process of shutting that log down entirely, in favor of a "free" version of training peaks.  Where free means it is bizarrely organized and missing some basic features... but it will try to upsell you on the premium version that, you know, works better.

Are they that hard up for money?  That seems like a bad business strategy, although I don't really know how much it costs to run an online log.  I bet they figure they have a captive audience, but runners are very good at sharing what else is out there.  I bet it backfires.  

Personally, I use SportTracks as my main log. I'll probably update my log here from my ST log for reference when asking training questions.

I like having my log on my laptop and not in the ether where it can just disappear on someone's whim - not that i expect that to happen here, but just generally speaking, and old habits are hard to break. I have my log copied on two external HDs and two laptops, so I'm reasonably certain the only thing that'll wipe it out is a fire or some such event at my home, and then I'll have bigger problems to deal with... and I suppose I could use Google Drive to take care of that contingency, though I hate supporting major corporations' bids for world domination.

MTA: SportTracks has the added benefit of plugins to support some pretty crazy analysis. Old Man Biking has quite a few, though I have yet to pay for any permanently - not sure I need them yet, the basic ST functionality is pretty cool.

In case you're interested, you can download your RA data under 'Tools' if you want your own backup.  You've got the option of the full shebang as an XML, or the probably-all-you'll-need shebang as a tab-delimited file.  

If you're into crazy analysis, you can open up the file in Excel/SPSS/SAS and go to town.  Or for even crazier analysis, open it up in R and leave town entirely.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac