Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wait Piwi I want to hear about this moving countries thing!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac from England to NZ in 1975 when I was 7.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Wait Piwi I want to hear about this moving countries thing!

He's a Kiwi.  Don't try anything.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My lord he’s English. He’s a fraud with that handle! A FRAUD. Although he could actually be a Lord and not know it. Lord Piwi. That would be the day given he acts more like the court jester 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Steve - congrats on the first house.

Flavio - thanks for the Strava intructions, I hadn't noticed it!

Re injuries - I have a lot of niggles these days which I just manage, being left achilles, right achilles, left knee, left quad and left hip.  They pretty much never stop me running, but almost always I notice at lest one of them.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson sounds like my body ache count too.

Jmac my mother is German but we all come from Africa if you want to keep going back 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I wish had more of those African genes, maybe I would run faster.

Count me in on the niggle train. I was able to complete my first quality day in about 4 weeks, which is encouraging. However, my PTT definitely is still achy, and it actually started to act up in a run earlier this week. It also is very tight/sore when stretching around the area. It was fine during the Q day yesterday (I sometimes find harder runs are easier on injuries, maybe because form?) and feels good today, so that's a good sign. But I also have some ligaments that are super sore around my ankle, probably from overcompensating.

When you're completely healthy, you feel like you're invincible and you'll never get injured again. When you're injured, you wonder if you'll ever be healthy again.

brentnet

Jmac - Coming back from the injury bug is tricky. I've only had one real injury in my running career and it wasn't really major (one month of no running), but I came back from it really well. I had an injury in December. January, I just started really, really slow. Like WAY slower than I thought. Took a full month to get back to running normalish runs. By early May, I ran a 18-minute marathon PR. So it's certainly possible to bounce back, but I'd recommend to take it slow (which is sounds like you have been).

watson - I'm with you that I rarely feel great, but I don't think a lot of them are injuries. Just a lot of soreness and times when the legs just aren't there.

Steve - Congrats on the home. I'm on my third house. First house was a bit of a starter. Bought it and a month later met my wife. Wasn't going to be a good house for a family, so a year later, I sold the house and luckily made 10%. We lived in our second house for almost 10 years and now we've been in our third house for about 2-1/2.

Solid week for me so far. After my lunch run today, I should be sitting around 42 miles with a short run planned for Saturday and a long run planned for Sunday. Monday is a holiday for me, so looking forward to a nice extended weekend as well!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

PiwiLimey - 400% is huge!! And I thought I made out like a bandit selling my first house...

JMac - First off, 10M after the time off you had is pretty awesome! Hopefully that PTT doesn't stick around much longer.

Brent - I'm in the same boat as you, having never had much in the way of injuries keeping me from running. My largest break is the one I'm getting back from, which was just a series of illnesses. Hearing your story of how long it took to get back to normal runs, then a PR just a few months later gives me hope, since right now the thought of improving on any of my PRs this spring seems far fetched.

Since lots of us seem to like numbers and data, have I brought up Runalyze here? It's basically an analytics platform that takes into account pace, vertical gain, HR, power (if you use it), etc. to track fitness, workload, progress, potential, and tons of other things.

My easy runs are feeling more and more like they should, though my HR is still a bit too high given the effort level/pace/weather. That should come down before too long, though.
                    I do still have a tiny niggle in the form of a bit of discomfort in the area where my hamstrings & glute meet - perhaps just a touch higher. It doesn't hurt, it's just a bit annoying in that I can feel it (running and walking). I don't think it's high hamstring tendinopathy based on a couple tests I found. These tests are essentially just hamstring stretches, which cause exactly zero discomfort or pain.
                    As an aside, what does it say about me when several stretches that are supposed to be for hamstrings only seem to stretch my calfs?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen I like Piwilimey...not really Haha. I get to go back to mother England this year my first trip back in 30 years and 30 years since I saw my oldest brother.

You must have flexible hammies then I guess ? I got a dodgy spot too where glute meets hammy. Started to cramp today.

Jmac that was a great workout you did even if achy.

Speaking of achy I did a 26km run this morning and had achy hips and ankles the whole way which with the heat made it a slow miserable run. I've been surfing everyday the last 2 weeks sometimes twice a day and its beating me up a bit. Quite alot of foot pressure when surfing leaves me with sore toes.

Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Steve who must be hungover 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Gahh looking at the Strava times you finished not that long before I started so I could have at least run to Papamoa with you on your return leg. That will teach me for not checking in.

drove out to Papamoa for a look round this afternoon, it’s a great spot, as is the Mount. Not sure about Tauranga though

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve sorry about the confusion but I replied to your PM on this site. I took my phone just incase you messaged me mid run. It is nice here with the beach. I go surfing and kayak fishing alot. Tauranga is hillier and has the harbour. I haven't been to the South Island yet...I know shocking !

My week done 80kms 50 miles. My paces are pretty pathetic but recovering between runs and building my base is a struggle. The 26kms seemed a bit hardcore but I'm hoping it will start to feel easier soon.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm done as well at 40 miles. Got lazy this weekend and didn't feel like running on the mill. Did have a good 10 @ MP workout so we'll see how the injury responds, it's sort of stuck in this stagnant low level pain. Going to start upping the mileage now but will be careful

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi, JMac - nice weeks.

Piwi, Steve - doh you guys!! Still not as bad as the time I actually ran past Watson and didn't realise it though.

Another solid week at 89km.  The last 4 weeks have been 91km, 83km, 87km, 89km which is the biggest stretch I've done since marathon training in 2017.  Had 3 workouts too so I thought my coach might've been a bit optimistic and I might crash and burn on today's long run but actually managed it fine despite lots of hills and very humid weather. Maybe a slightly lighter week this week just to give the legs a bit of recovery, but overall it feels like I'm building up well.  On my long run I ran a lap of the Albany Lakes (10km) course prior to the race start, brought some good memories back from 2017's series, but I'm glad I wasn't racing it today - the humidity and wind would've made it pretty tough.

M: weights

T: 14.5km easy

W: 16km incl. intervals

Th: 13km incl. hill sprints

F: weights

S: 18.4km incl. sprints

S: 27.5km long run

Total: 89.4km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Mark, Piwi and JMac - good weeks.

JMac - that 22.5 km workout was really good, especially coming back from injury.

My week is done.  Really happy with the week, Tuesday intervals were quicker and easier than previous weeks, Thursday's longer intervals (this is slowly migrating to a tempo) was also quicker and easier than previous weeks (and the intervals were 100m longer).  Today's "long" run was relatively easy too.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Mon 4.4 8:05 Evening Run strava
                                Tue 7.5 7:39 Evening Run - 6 * (800m moderate intervals & 200m easy) strava
                                Wed 4.4 8:23 Evening Run strava
                                Thu 7.8 7:55 Evening Run - incl 5 * (1200m moderate and 300m easy) strava
                                Fri 4.9 9:05 Afternoon Run strava
                                Sat 4.4 7:51 Afternoon Run - Incl. Striders strava
                                Sun 9.3 7:44 Evening Run strava
                                  42.7 8:01

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25