Hartford '08 (Read 910 times)

mikeymike

When I look at the elevation for Hartford it looks pretty flat. The biggest hills are 30-40 feet. This seems flat compared to a bunch of other marathons (Vermont, Boston, Philidelphia). Is the elevation chart old or is it a relative hill issue? I'm planning on racing it, but I keep hearing conflicting things about hills there. :-P
    You might be looking at the old elevation chart, but it is basically flat with a couple of moderate hills in the last few miles. The hill at mile 21 and the hill in the last mile each gain about 75 feet. It's not a bad course but it's not pancake flat either. These are not my tracks but I found this elevation profile on motionbased from the 2007 race:

Runners run

I'll have to admit that I was hoping to run a fairly flat marathon as my first AND run one this fall. I'm also interested in the answer to Busiman's question. Thanks, Mikey. Do you think the 75 foot-hills make it a not-so-good choice for a first marathon?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

I'll have to admit that I was hoping to run a fairly flat marathon as my first AND run one this fall. I'm also interested in the answer to Busiman's question. Thanks, Mikey. Do you think the 75 foot-hills make it a not-so-good choice for a first marathon?
        I'm not Mikey, but... it's just a hill. You can run this hill. But if you have your heart set on "fairly flat", Bay State is flatter. Though still not pancake flat. Anyway, Hartford is not Pikes Peak. The hills in the new course (I dunno about the old course) are not scary. Pancake flat is overrated anyway.

mikeymike

NaderAlfie, I agree with srlopez. Hartford is fine for a first marathon, it's really not bad. Just be aware there are a couple hills, nothing major. Nothing scary. And I would call Bay State pancake flat. It's definitely the flattest marathon and one of the flattest races of any kind that I've ever run. THe only hills are the bridges and those are barely noticeable. But that doesn't make it a better first marathon.

Runners run

xor

Nope, I agree. It doesn't make it a better marathon! (actually, I liked both races about the same: which is to say, they were great. In fact, I ran them both in the same weekend last year.) I actually do know of a few courses that I'd consider flatter than Bay State - Mardi Gras in New Orleans and Erie in PA. Andy Payne in OKC. But up your direction, Bay State is F L A T. Side note: We should have a thread for "flat marathons" and another for "hilly mofos".

Thank you all very, very much. For what it's worth, your insights made all the difference in my decision and I'll probably register for Hartford. P.S.: Mikey, I was watching your boy Ortiz while on the mill last night. Sweet swing. Sweet. Sometimes, I wonder, did Tony Gwynn grown some facial hair and sneak back in?

I am late to the party, but a big fan of the Hartford marathon. I ran the full last year (3:29) and in 2000 (3:37). I have also run the half twice. It's very well run and the food is great. The YMCA is newly renovated and right in the Civic Center and available to runners as well. It was practically empty last year. Check it out if you need a place to hang at the start and/or the finish. I love hills, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would not call the hill in the later miles at Hartford significant. It hurts more because it's the end of the marathon, but it's not as lengthy as the hill in the late miles of the old course. It's not flat, but it's a fast, enjoyable and well run marathon. I'll be running Baystate actually this year since my work schedule is wild and October 19 (Baystate) is the only good weekend for me and a marathon. Just a plug for Hartford and if you do register, I hope you do well and enjoy it. Busiman, I see you over on the Master's thread as well. I am guessing you'll scorch the course. It's a good one for a fast time. CNYrunner
                busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Thanks for the perspective. Its funny how some things like a simple hill can sound bigger than it really is. We all train for marathons and (for most in New England) can't avoid hills. Even if you dropped your pace by a minute for that mile it wouldn't have that much of an impact. I haven't registered yet, but I'm committed to racing it. Training is going well and my legs are responding. Is it 10 weeks to go now?
                  -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                  also on Twitter
                    11.5 weeks. I can't decide on another half or my 1st full. I need to make the decision by the 10 week out mark.
                    ctjim

All this talk about a significant hill 20 miles in makes me nervous. Anyone use the beginner plan and run the Hartford marathon? or another marathon ..... what was it like to run the last 6 miles when you'd never run that far before?
                      Looking at the course map, the "significant hill" 20 miles in is crossing crossing the Founder's Bridge from East Hartford back into Hartford. Nothing major compared to the old route which ran up the hill on Asylum by the train station at mile 20. Plenty of people, me included, have run the Hartford Marathon as our first using Higdon's plan. You'll do great.
                        11.5 weeks. I can't decide on another half or my 1st full. I need to make the decision by the 10 week out mark.
                        Have you decided? I was all set on running my first full this fall, but thinking I'm not quite marathon-ready. Our mileage is about the same and I've got a half under my belt.

I'm really at 50/50 right now. My last 2 long runs (14,15) were tough but not impossible. I think I will make a decision after my 16 miler in 10 days or so. I've always wanted to break 1:39 in the half which I think I can do. The flip side is at 35 mpw, I don't feel like a running being that I never tackled the big one.
                            I'm really at 50/50 right now. My last 2 long runs (14,15) were tough but not impossible. I think I will make a decision after my 16 miler in 10 days or so. I've always wanted to break 1:39 in the half which I think I can do. The flip side is at 35 mpw, I don't feel like a running being that I never tackled the big one.
                            I am in a similar boat, except my half was a lowly 2:14. I plugged in my fastest recent 5-miler into http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm to get an idea of where I am. I might throw in another half. I think it would be fun.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Hell no, I'll stick around if there's beer involved. See you there!
                              I'm also registered - though training has been waylaid by salmonella and amoebic dysentery. I'd be happy to meet both of you for a beer afterward, if you can wait around long enough, and if you'll have me.

Giant Flaming Dork

If there are people that won't be ready for a marathon, what about a Team Relay? I know I've been sidelined due to injury and won't be ready to run even the half, but it might be fun to have an RA relay... Any takers?

http://xkcd.com/621/