Speaking of race shirts (Read 685 times)

JimR

What would you rather do without in a race? The shirt? The medal? The post race food? Chip mat at the start? I don't care about the medal, I can't do anything with them anyway. Shirts I don't mind, although if they're going to supply a nice technical material shirt, keep it clean without some horrendous race logo sprayed on it and the back plastered with sponsor ads.

I would rather do without the entry fee. Wink But since that seems unlikely, I will take whatever they give and in whatever form they deem to give it. The perks of the race don't matter to me. All I care about is mile markers, and the occaisonal water stop. Those enable me to track the only things that matter to me in a race; time and place. Anything else just adds to the entry fee.
      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Medal. They were fun in HS, but no big deal now (depending on the race). I've only received one medal that really has any meaning to me. I got a coupon for a free massage as an AG award earlier this year. That beats hardware in my book. Also, chip mat at the start unless it's a huge race. I agree with you about the shirts. If it's a cotton shirt, I don't mind if it's garish, but I don't want crazy looking tech shirts since I'll actually wear those.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Definitely race shirts. Never can get the right size, cant bear to throw them out, just take up space in my closet. Maybe all the shirts I got so far being crappy cotton ones is the reason.
            I can do without the shirt and the medal.......Medal would be cool if I could ever WIN a race, but unless everyone in the running world that runs faster the 8:00 per mile decides to stop going to races, its pretty unlikely I'll be getting a medal for WINNING.. Shirt.......I always think they are cool when I get them and usually wear them once or twice and thats it....my drawers are full of old race shirt that I dont wear.... The food after a race is something I look forward to because I usually dont eat much before I go to a race so about 20 or 30 minutes after a race, I'm usually pretty hungry.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I can do without the shirt and the medal.......Medal would be cool if I could ever WIN a race, but unless everyone in the running world that runs faster the 8:00 per mile decides to stop going to races, its pretty unlikely I'll be getting a medal for WINNING.. Shirt.......I always think they are cool when I get them and usually wear them once or twice and thats it....my drawers are full of old race shirt that I dont wear.... The food after a race is something I look forward to because I usually dont eat much before I go to a race so about 20 or 30 minutes after a race, I'm usually pretty hungry.....
              like he said... if they would throw the cost of ugly race shirts (and yes, I am the self-appointed arbiter of cool vs. ugly) toward better food at the end, you would truly see my sunshiney disposition for all that it can be! Like all-you-can-eat cake and PIE! Just an idea.

Top 'O the World!

Hey! I'm still new enough, I LIKE the swag! Wink it is interesting to see the difference btwn prices & amenities... ie: Boulder Backroads Marathon - nice Brooks race shirt (tasteful small logo), nice (heavy/quality ribbon) medal, two prs tech socks, poster, tech hat, tech running jacket....banquet tables FULL of a variety of food & drinks, on site expo incl. massage & other stuff relevant to running...no beer same price as Denver Marathon: cotton shirt, decent medal, food courts if you were in by 4 1/2 hrs....beer tent till well after trailers finished
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                mikeymike

I've run a lot of races that had none of the above...in fact some of my favorite races are in that category.

Runners run

Shirts with all the sponsor ads. My shirts from 30 years ago are nice because they don't have all those ads. Well, except the one that only has an ad: "Coors Ultramarathons, Yakima WA". I liked the races where they gave out running shorts, not shirts. The best is the belt buckles. I wear my Pike's Peak buckle all the time, and my brother wears his Western States buckle fairly often.

Bugs

I like the metals. I could do without the race bag full of crap.

Bugs

I don't have many races under my belt, so my experience is limited. I wouldn't want to go without anything. Even the ugly race shirts! One of the ugliest ones is my favorite running shirt now. The cotton ones I let my kids wear as jammies. My one and only medal is my trophy!! I'm very proud of it and glad I have it. Yes, it's hanging in my closet, but it's still a symbol of what I accomplished. Seeing as how most races are fundraisers for non-profit organizations, the sponsors on the back of the tee's are pretty darn necessary. Those companies donated money to help put on the event and I would hope people actually patronize them. The post race food is usually a donation as well. My kids go to a very small private school and we do a ton of fundraisers throughout the year. I'm trying to talk them into putting on a fun run. Besides the obvious t-shirt, chip timing, and winner prizes, I think it would be great to have something special at the end. Like pancakes!