Runners Who Smoke or, Smokers Who Run (Read 3112 times)

Feeling the growl again

A couple cigars here and there doesn't bother me at all.

A couple cigars and I'd be puking my guts out and trying to figure out why my mouth tastes like I ate out of a litterbox.

Ah, bachelor parties.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

A couple cigars and I'd be puking my guts out and trying to figure out why my mouth tastes like I ate out of a litterbox.

Ah, bachelor parties.

You just need some Talisker to cover up the taste.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

joescott

Amen to that one.  Blech!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Every time I play hockey there are a few guys outside the rink finishing their smokes before going into to dress for the game. And they are usually some of the better skaters on the ice.  Not sure where I'm going with that. Sometimes it's best to not try to make sense of these things. 

Scout7

I am reminded from the helo scene in "Predator".

"This stuff will make you into a sexual tyrannosaur.  Just like me!"

Ostrich runner

Or a governor.

Feeling the growl again

Every time I play hockey there are a few guys outside the rink finishing their smokes before going into to dress for the game. And they are usually some of the better skaters on the ice.  Not sure where I'm going with that. Sometimes it's best to not try to make sense of these things. 

I've seen doctors in nurses endure sub-freezing temps in their lab coats to get off the property of a major US cancer center in order to get in their smokes.

I've seen people who work on lung cancer drug programs smoking outside the office.

All of these people are very aware that ~80% of smokers will eventually suffer a major illness because of this habit and 50% will die from a smoking-related illness.

What sense do I make of these things?

-Addiction sucks

-Don't be so quick to judge people by it, you don't know how they got there

-People (even doctors -- gasp) are human and subject to human weakness to a powerful force

-Despite the wonders of the human brain it has a hard time ignoring a quick chemical fix for a rational long-term benefit

-I'm glad all I ever tried were cigars that made me want to vomit and stay away

-Don't TRY and make sense of it, it's probably not there

I've known a few decent runners who smoked but not heavily.  I've known a lot of heavy smokers who can't manage a flight of stairs.  That's all I've got.  That and that cigars make your mouth taste like cat pee.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Scout7

... cigars make your mouth taste like cat pee.

This statement begs the question of how you know what cat pee tastes like....

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

i wasn't going to ask but i sure did want to know that very thingSmile

steph  

Ostrich runner

See, I always thought the neighbor's cat was taking a dump in my mouth in the middle of the night. Here, again, we have a serious difference in opinion. To me, there is a definite cat shit taste, but no cat piss taste.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Cheesing

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

No judging. I'm a recovered smoker myself and know how much that addiction sucks. I was more marveling at the fact these guys could smoke and play hockey at a high level. I never could.

I've seen doctors in nurses endure sub-freezing temps in their lab coats to get off the property of a major US cancer center in order to get in their smokes.

I've seen people who work on lung cancer drug programs smoking outside the office.

All of these people are very aware that ~80% of smokers will eventually suffer a major illness because of this habit and 50% will die from a smoking-related illness.

What sense do I make of these things?

-Addiction sucks

-Don't be so quick to judge people by it, you don't know how they got there

-People (even doctors -- gasp) are human and subject to human weakness to a powerful force

-Despite the wonders of the human brain it has a hard time ignoring a quick chemical fix for a rational long-term benefit

-I'm glad all I ever tried were cigars that made me want to vomit and stay away

-Don't TRY and make sense of it, it's probably not there

I've known a few decent runners who smoked but not heavily.  I've known a lot of heavy smokers who can't manage a flight of stairs.  That's all I've got.  That and that cigars make your mouth taste like cat pee.

Feeling the growl again

I have a vivid imagination.  That, and it smells terrible and since the senses of taste and smell are connected....

Cheesing...heh...things I wish I could watch on the treadmill but my kids are around too much...

Turbolegs

I have seen a couple of guys light up right after finishing a 50km ultra and yet another, right after finishing a marathon. But the absolute worst is seeing a runner somewhere around the 31-32km mark in a marathon light up .. i was just too shocked for words. Of course, he didnt look like he was going to seriously threaten the remaining 10 kms.

I used to smoke until about 3 years ago .. my then-gf-now-wife told me that the aforementioned epithet can only become reality if i kicked the cancer stick. Since i was anyway searching for an excuse to quit, this was as good as any. Smile Cold turkey. And it worked. Smile

I started running around the same time but i can quite clearly recollect that the first few runs i did would leave me breathless and stopping to rein in the labored breathing about 10minutes into the run. And as your lungs start cleaning themselves, you will tend to cough up a lot of phlegm and thats quite a bother too.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

I ran in college and had a cig every now and then while drinking. That never seemed to affect me. After college, I met my wife and became a regular smoker with her. My running went to crap and I eventually stopped altogether. A combination of finding out my wife was pregnant and gaining 70 pounds post-college, prompted me quit cold turkey. Best decision I made. Since starting running again, I have lost 50 of the 70 pounds, have a great running streak, and a 1 and 1/2 year old I can keep up with.