medium long run the day before long run? (Read 502 times)

stl_triathlete

Hi, first post here, so I'm doing the Advanced Marathoning 24 week 55 mile plan, is it a bad idea to move the medium long run (10 - 13 miles) to saturday if i'm gonna do my long run on sunday? the reason is that with my job i would have to do the medium long runs at night which i found i dont like doing, plus they would all have to be done on sidewalks, if i did medium run on saturday it could do it in parks/trails just like my long run
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I guess the short answer would be give it a shot and see if you can handle it.

Prince of Fatness

I guess the short answer would be give it a shot and see if you can handle it.
        Yeah, I guess there is only one way to find out. It's probably not the optimal way to organize the week, especially if you add some quality to the medium long run. If it were me I would bite the bullet and do it at night, or possibly get up a little earlier in the morning and do it then.

Not at it at all. 

Runner

do what you feel like doing. If it doesn't work change it. If you still don't know use logic to decide which would truly give you the most benefit. Running at night that you will not enjoy, or running on a day that "might" cause your plan to be a little less effective. Either way you have a problem, thus the fun in marathon training.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If your plan has long runs once every two weeks (as I've seen in some), you could alternate weekends -- on weekends with a long run on Sunday, just go short-to-medium on Saturday (I dunno 4-8mi?). On weekends without a long run on Sunday, go medium-long on Sat & Sun (6-13mi?) -- and if you feel like it you could throw in a fast finish at the end of the Sunday medium, or a tempo for the last half of it. Not that I'm any kind of expert, so just throwing out an idea (which might be good or might be bad).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mikeymike

A big weekend like that is not a bad thing, assuming you're recovering from it okay. But the value of having a mid-long that is not a jog in the middle of the week cannot be overstated.

Runners run