Garmin 205 ? (Read 1423 times)

I recently saw where Walmart and Amazon both have the Garmin Forerunner 205 at $112.  Is this a good GPS trainer?  What are some cons, pros?  Good price?  This is my first venture into a GPS for running/training and want to make sure I get it right without spending a whole lot.  Thanks for any help.

Mrcrumpton

I have the 205 and enjoy being able to run where I want and know how far that I have been. It provides great data by glancing at your wrist on pace, distance, time and a variety of other options that are customizable. It has a built in trainer so that you can run your courses with a virtual trainer although I have not used that function. The software that comes with it is not that great but it easily imports into Running Ahead so that it can all be referenced later if you are into that. It took a few weeks to get used to knowing how fast (or slow) my pace was but now that I am into more of a training mode, it really help keep on target with my pace runs. The biggest con that I see is the size and not being water proof. It is easy to get use to the size and I do appreciate the size if the display so I can live with it. I have ran in the rain with no problems but I have heard of a few problems with that. $112 is a good price although you could catch it on sale for about $15 less at Amazon but who knows when that will be. The 305 has the heart rate monitor and sometimes I wish that I had gotten that one but as long as you are not too concerned with that aspect, there are almost the same. The battery lasts long enough for all of my weekly runs and have only forgotten to turn it off 2 times which resulted in a dead watch the next day for that run.

2013 Goals

• 5K-20:00
      • 10K-44:00
      • 1/2 Marathon-1:38
      • Marathon-3:30
      • Complete 50 Miler

Thanks for the info man.  I really don't think I'll use the heart rate monitor so I think I'm going to go with the 205.

runningman74,

I had the 205 for 3 years (3-5 runs per week) before it died (did a post mortem - some corrosion got to the battery connection).  Like Matthew said, it did everything I wanted it to do.  After your runs, I would try to dry it off if you are a heavy sweater, ran in the rain, or just in a humid place.  Just to be on the safe side.   There really isn't much sealant holding the watch together, in my opinion - so don't swim with it!

Garmin is making small watches now, but they cost more, and in some cases have less features than the 205.  I'm almost 40 and the last thing I want is a smaller screen!

I did replace it with a 305, however, just because the price difference was so small.  Looking at the heart rate data is kind of fun (I'm a geek) - though not a huge benefit to my running.  Garmin is still the best in running GPS as far as price/performance ratio goes.

Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Thanks Steve,

I see you have/had both the 205 and 305.  Is the heart rate monitor really the only difference?  If so I think I'll probably go with the 205

Ditto what the others said.   

Santa brought me a 205 for Christmas a year ago and overall I like it.    Its a little bit too big and sometimes seems a little clumsey but you do get used to it.    I noted that when I pulled it up tight, it pinched my wrist and when I loosend it up it was clunky and moved around too much.....I solved that problem by wearing it over a sweatband when i run...its doesnt pinch my wrist and isnt so clunky feeling....

the 305 does come with a few extra bells and whistles but I didnt care about a heart rate monitor to begin with....

I think i got my from Amazon for $105 as a pre-christmas sale ---- but your price of 115 is right in the ball park.....

I never thought I would care about having one but now that I do they seem almost required for running..........

I think you'll like it....

Champions are made when no one is watching

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have the 305. I have run for almost 3 years(20+years running) without  an injury. I only do walks without my HR monitor. 2-50k's in Oct--2 marathons in Jan--marathon Feb 26 -- 50 k in April. 2 halfs throw in for good measure. I give all the credit to LHR training. 40-50-62.14(100k)-100 coming soon.Santa delivered 405.Big grin

Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor by Garmin

Buy new$299.99 $128.53

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

girlruns

I just got the 205 from Wal-Mart.  It was a great price.  I used to map my runs before I did them and it was annoying to say the least.  Now, I enjoy just being able to go without worrying about mapping, then remembering the route.  I've used the virtual trainer for my last 5K and set a PR by a minute because of it.  I like being able to see my pace and average pace at a glance instead of waiting until I get home.  I haven't tried tempo or speed work with it yet (tomorrow) but I think it'll work for that as well.  It looks big when you first see it but I don't notice it.  When I first took it out of the box, it was intimidating but I just took it a piece at a time and got it figured out.

We Need a Garmin Category

Goals For 2011:

sub 2:30 800m

Sub 6:00 Mile (PR 5:34)

Sub 20:00 5k

250 Mile Club

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thanks Steve,

I see you have/had both the 205 and 305.  Is the heart rate monitor really the only difference?  If so I think I'll probably go with the 205

205 and 305 are the exact same GPS receiver, but the 305 also has wireless built-in to connect to heart rate strap, footpod (for use running indoors out-of-GPS range and/or to record step cadence), and bike RPM monitor.  You can't buy a hear-rate strap later to sue with a 205 as it doesn't have the capability.

Like you said, if you don't care about the HRM, get the 205.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

You can't buy a hear-rate strap later to sue with a 205 as it doesn't have the capability.

America is such a litigious society.

an amazing likeness

I hear there was once a boy named Sue....so sue me.

Oh, and a dog named Blue.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I've posted this link before, but it's worth repeating:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Absolutely the most complete resource I've seen on the internets for comparing and using Garmin fitness products (and he has a few other brands too).  A must-have bookmark for running/cycling geeks.Big grin

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!