How much is enought for sub 18:30? (Read 2516 times)

I'm currently a highschooler training for the upcoming XC season, I want to know how much volume I should have by mid to end summer per week, I just finished my first 35mile week and feel great, if my body cooperates I plan to up next week to 40miles. My goal for this season is to get to sub 18:30 5k, my most recent 1600m time is 5:15 and I dont have a recent 5k time but my PR is 19:44.

Lane

There's no answer to this question.  I ran 17:40 in high school off of a base of 35 miles per week.  I know some people who did better and lots who didn't.  Can you do it?  I have no idea.  If I were you, I would focus on increasing my mileage in an intelligent manner in order to work as hard as possible instead of trying to get by with the minimum amount of work possible.

Sounds good, I will maintain my current course of action then!

thanks

Spencer Davis

Sophmore year 20:07

Summer between: 391 Miles

Junior year-  18:51

Summer between: 374 Miles (in 2 less weeks)

Senior year 16:56

You can do it.  I was upper 40's at most for mileage and usually lower than that.  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think people may vary somewhat, and therefore the same training which caused a certain result for one person, may not give the same result for another.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I think people may vary somewhat, and therefore the same training which caused a certain result for one person, may not give the same result for another.

+1.

Some people are going to run 15:30 off 25 miles a week and some in season speedwork. Others will work hard doing 60+ mpw and barely break 19:00.

On the plus side your mile is already a stronger performance than 18:30 so I think as long as you build up your endurance/strength you will have a good shot at going sub 18:30.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

+1.

Some people are going to run 15:30 off 25 miles a week and some in season speedwork. Others will work hard doing 60+ mpw and barely break 19:00.

On the plus side your mile is already a stronger performance than 18:30 so I think as long as you build up your endurance/strength you will have a good shot at going sub 18:30.

I agree peoples' bodies react differently to training. However, if you run 60 miles a week and can only break 19, well then you aren't training properly.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I agree peoples' bodies react differently to training. However, if you run 60 miles a week and can only break 19, well then you aren't training properly.

So unless you're misinformed, you simply know more than most other runners. I occasionally see people who claim to be better informed than almost everyone else. I'm not sure they always actually are.

xor

How old are you?

Going to have to disagree here. Yes I think 19 is a reachable goal for most healthy men, however there are certainly some whom that is near the limits of their ability. This becomes especially true if you started running later in life, sub 19 is a much different barrier for someone who was been sedentary most of their life and now at 45 wants to run sub 19 than for someone who is an up and coming high school freshman from an active, athletic background. 

There truly are people out there though for which 19 is at or near their physiological limit. As a 16 year old mid 17's runner its easy to forget that you have some measure of talent , and it can cloud perspective a bit. It's easy to think I got to 17 in a few years with maybe 30 or 40 or less mpw, anyone must be able to get to something as slow as 19 with some effort. My friend is a pretty good example of this, he has been putting in decent mileage (40 mpw or so average) for about a year and a half now, and I would certainly say he isn't training to bad. Periodization, relaxed easy runs, tempos, hills, intervals on season, etc, etc. He only recently broke 21. He doesn't come from an athletic background, has a goofy stride, and a massive lack of speed, especially from someone in their low 20's agewise (16.5 100m, 74 400m).

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

L Train

However, if you run 60 miles a week and can only  can't even break 19, well then you aren't training properly.

Harumph. 

I agree peoples' bodies react differently to training. However, if you run 60 miles a week and can only break 19, well then you are rolling aimlessly
                          L Train

Gah.

I've got two chances in the next few weeks.  But yeah, I need something to work towards that inspires me a bit more.

So says the 16 year old...  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

World Masters start lists for the competition going on now, in Sacramento.

The eldest men's category is:

Saturday, Jul 9, 0715
                                Event 614, M80-99 5000M run
                                The seed times listed range from 24s up to 40