Vermont City Marathon this Sunday (Read 182 times)

delicate flower

Who's in?

Marathon #4 for me and my first since ACL reconstruction #2 last February.  Going a little mental here and completely unable to think about anything else.

<3

mikeymike

WAIT THAT'S THIS WEEKEND????

I'm in, or I should say "my friend" is. I know of several other RA regulars who will be there as well, several of those are also my greater lowell teammates. Lookin' forward to it! Or at least my friend is.

So far clicking this link every 5 minutes is not really calming my friend's nerves.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

You're on your own....race of 1.     The climb up Battery at 16 is over hyped, don't worry about it. Once you hit the High School on the north loop it's flat to slight downhill from there to the finish.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

delicate flower

WAIT THAT'S THIS WEEKEND????

You better get training.  15 miles today and 20 tomorrow should mentally prepare you for the rigors of the marathon.  I'd rest Saturday though and keep the calories low to prevent unwanted weight gain.

milktruck, thanks for that detailed analysis of the race you provided here.  It's been most helpful.  This is my first time running it so I appreciate that.

<3

mikeymike

I ran it last year. So it's still pretty fresh in my mind. I find the course mentally easy compared with something like Boston. It is basically four out and back loops of increasing length and each one takes you back through downtown.

By the way Bucci found THIS GEM somewhere and it's not only hilarious, but actually gives a fairly decent description of the course.

I agree with milktruck that Battery Hill is not a big deal. Last year when it was 40 degrees and raining sideways it was actually welcome and helped me get warm.

And here's my race report from last year ... from back when I used to write race reports.

Runners run

Village people

My DH will be there. I believe he is taking half of my children, so it will be like a vacation for me.

Good luck. I think the weather will be okay. I live outside Manchester and it is pouring atm.

xhristopher

My weekend plans got cancelled so I decided to run this with just three days notice and about 30 seconds of thought. Who decides to run a marathon on such short notice? Seems pretty stupid.

Village people

My weekend plans got cancelled so I decided to run this with just three days notice and about 30 seconds of thought. Who decides to run a marathon on such short notice? Seems pretty stupid.

Running is stupid, so you're in good company.

BeeRunB

I like this marathon (2x for me). Burlington is a nice town for a race.

The course is varied. A good challenge. I hope you have a

good experience! 

delicate flower

Good luck, guys.  Hitting the road in a bit.

<3

on my way to badass

Waiting to hear. Oldfatslow's co-workers are doing the 2 person relay. This is a marathon I may consider for myself someday.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

delicate flower

Was it just me or did that shit get warm today?  I was shooting for 3:23 and ran 3:38.  Still a 7 minute PR but a s-l-o-w final 10K.

<3

Village people

DH grabbed a man who was staggering and pulled him off the course. The man was incoherent. I hope he was okay.

delicate flower

Jan, I saw at least a few people off the course being tended to, including an older fella around mile 22 who was staggering all over the place.  Medics were certainly all over us runners as we finished, asking if we were ok.  One guy asked me three times.  I think I didn't look too good.

<3

Village people

Jan, I saw at least a few people off the course being tended to, including an older fella around mile 22 who was staggering all over the place.  Medics were certainly all over us runners as we finished, asking if we were ok.  One guy asked me three times.  I think I didn't look too good.

You did great, though! You are definitely back.