March '08...how was your month? (Read 954 times)

jeffdonahue

This month represents the most mileage in a month for me, ever. A PR 5 mile (okay, the ONLY 5 mile race I have ever run) and the fastest mile run since high school.
    Hey, a PR is a PR. Congratulations!
      Best month yet! First 100+ month, new weekly high, 5k PR (ok, maybe it was only my second 5k ever, but still), and I'm injury free. Knock on wood. Thanks to those of you who suggested running 5-6 days a week. It's really made a difference. Plus we still have great ski conditions! Can't wait for some warm weather, though...
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

March was a mixed bag for me. The Good: My first race in 7 years, a 5k in 19:42. Nowhere near the old days, but a decent place to start and not a bad time at all for me considering my mileage level. The Bad: still not running very many miles. I do most of my runs at lunchtime at work, and work's been kicking my butt lately, so a lot of runs were missed. I'm also in kind of a vicious cycle of staying up really late, because it's the only time I can get anything done around the house (while the kids are asleep), and that has killed morning running. The Ugly: Last Friday had a tempo run written all over it -- cool, overcast, light drizzle. As I gently accelerated, I had a small twinge/cramp in my left hamstring right down near the knee. And I was like, are you f*****g kidding me? For months, I've been concerned about my chronically bad right hamstring. I run a race -- no problem. A few days later, I kick the last 0.1mi of my run in a blistering 24.8sec to remind myself what fast was -- no problem. Then this happens. I guess these old legs ("I'm 37, I'm not old") need more than 1 mile warm-up before doing anything but easy running. Hopefully, April will be better. Another race in 3 weeks if injuries aren't a problem. But I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow. Which is a good thing, but could potentially wipe out a week of training. Garmie is coming with me, so hopefully, it'll be a big week rather than a little one.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Just checked my log. I was feeling kinda down because everyone was posting such great numbers, but then I realized...with today's run, I will be at 93 miles for March. That is twice what I ran in October and the highest mileage I have EVER run in one month. Also, two 8 mile runs (longest distance ever). I'm kicking tail!! If you had told me 5 yrs ago that I would be a runner I would've laughed so loud.... I think we're all a bunch of running aces. If you ran more miles than in February then GOOD for YOU! and if you didn't... then put one foot in front of the other and before you know it, April's miles will be better. Happy, healthy running to all!
          Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
            better than last month. I did manage my first 60+ mile week, so that was fun. Should have hit 70 last week but I'm glad I cut back because of some pains I was having...I feel better today. That'll be it for me for a while. I begin my taper today so my April miles will be much lower.

Jennifer mm#1231

My month was pretty good. I would have had my highest month but a lost a few running days due to being sick. I did however just about double from what I did last March. I managed to get a new HM PR this month which makes me happy.

Michelle

Giant Flaming Dork

Hey, a PR is a PR. Congratulations!
                Thanks! Nice work on your two PRs. Good luck on breaking 20!

http://xkcd.com/621/

I fell short of my goal for March. I'm trying to get back to 100 miles/month. I had problems yesterday on what would have been my long run for the week. Mostly shoe related problems I couldn't resolve that have been causuing shin splint issues. Anyway, tonight's run in a previously retired pair will hopefully allow me to hit 90 miles for the month. After payday on Friday I'm off to Fleet Feet for some new shoes.

Supa Dupa Fly

Had a great month. Just under 60 miles...which is about thrice my january and february numbers. Almost reached my goal of a sub 20:00 5K for the first time since high school (I'm 31 now). And I feel almost ready for my first triathlon in T-minus 27 days. If i can just get a lil more cycling in April... Won't get much training in this week as i'll be learning to snowboard in breckenridge, but hey that'll count for something right? Cool Oh, and adding a few extra days of training here and there helped me drop a couple pounds...bonus!
                    ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
                      I set a new PR at the 50 mile distance... that was the good news. The bad was that I wound up w/ a couple nagging injuries that kept my mileage fairly low... only about 150 miles for the month. Was hoping for a 200+ mile month. Oh well...there's always April Smile
                        March was a good month - I had my highest mileage total ever and managed not to injure myself. Hopefully I can keep it up in April and maybe I'll even be able to run outside when it's over 50 degrees!!
                        Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"

Runner

Had a great March. Started off w/ a 1:30:30 half marathon in Chattanooga. March 16th BQ'ed with time of 3:10:45(the 3:10:57 is gun time). Now as April is coming in I've started to do some trail running(want to do a 20 mile trail run in the comink weeks of a trail at the univerity of the South in sewanee TN. Did 11 miles of this Saturday and it felt good until after(my knee is sore for first time ever so I may be taking some time off). I think I started back after marathon a little too hard.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

My challenge for April is to learn how to run in the high heat and high humidity of Singapore......Suggestions, anyone? Confused Peace, Phil
                            Singapore? .....Singapore, ok you win, that just has to be the toughest running around. One large steambath, not to mention the air pollution. A few years ago I was watching CNN, they had a story about the fire dept shooting water up into the air around the hospitals to try and filter the oil residue out of the air.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Lots of good stuff here! I had a PR in the HM and at the 30k distance. Spent quite a bit of the month sick, but it seems we're finally coming out the other side of that...
                                Terrible month...I had a family vacation, work travel, wisdom teeth pulling, and more work travel. Last week was my first 0 mileage week in a while. I got back out there today though. I'm only 12 miles behind the 1000 mile bunny. I will pass him again soon.