Anyone running Marine Corps this weekend? (Read 734 times)

BostonRnr

Who else is running MCM on Sunday? This will be my first marathon Shocked It would be nice to know that there are other RAers in the crowd.
      Big grinI'll be running. I've done it before and happy they put Haines pt earlier in the race. Look for shirts with Moore's Marines on it-my running group. We train through the Annapolis striders. Have a good trip and race. Kathy
      BostonRnr

Kathy...I guess it's just the two of us from RA. I'll look for your t-shirt. I'll probably wear a white tech shirt and write my name on it (Go Susan!) like the novice marathoner that I am. I don't know the area or the significance of Haines point. Other than studying the elevation chart, I think the less I know the better. Ignorance is bliss Shy The weather is looking good: 49 to 65 and partly cloudy.
        xor

Here are my two big tips for MCM: 1. Carry a small bottle for a drink early in the race. This will allow you to bypass the first 2-3 water stops which will be crazy crowded. Ditch the bottle after the first couple stops. 2. If you took the metro to the race, under no circumstances try to go back to the Arlington Cemetery station after the race. Getting away from the Iwo Jima monument will be the biggest people traffic jam you've ever seen, and many folks are trying to get down to that station. Instead, sneak the other way to the Rosslyn station. This will be crowded too, but mo bettah. Enjoy the sights in that race. And note well that Capitol Hill is, in fact, a hill. For some reason, this surprised me when I ran it the first time Smile.

I'm doing the 10k! Not the marathon I know..but it will be fun anyways. Good luck with the marathon!!
            ajha

I did it last year. I am jealous and would love to be doing it again. Last weekend I ran Mohawk Hudson Marathon in Albany, New York. A small but very scenic, flat marathon. Good luck and enjoy the sights!
                I don't think the Corps will allow you to fail Susan, you picked a good race for your first. Get up that hill NOW runner! Sir, yes sir! Best of luck, can't wait for your report.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Good luck to all who are running, can't wait to get a race report with all the gory details!
                  Kimmie

I'm running. There are a few others here as well. I ran it before in 04 when the course was slightly different. I heard that there will be room on your bib to put your name, just so you know.

Dave

I'm in as well. 2nd timer. Good news for everyone that we don't actually run up capitol hill on the routing this year and Haines Point is earlier as mentioned. Should be a good day.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Here are my two big tips for MCM: 1. Carry a small bottle for a drink early in the race. This will allow you to bypass the first 2-3 water stops which will be crazy crowded. Ditch the bottle after the first couple stops. 2. If you took the metro to the race, under no circumstances try to go back to the Arlington Cemetery station after the race. Instead, sneak the other way to the Rosslyn station. This will be crowded too, but mo bettah. .
                        I second both these points, and would like to add that I found stopping for several drinks at a local bar also helped clear the subway stations out. Also, if you're taking the train, go early. The platforms get so packed they have to be held in the station to unload. My husband (and a ton of other people) ended up having to hop the station fence to make it in time, and to loosen up the congestion on the platform. I loved this race when I did it two years ago. I hope you enjoy it also!
                          3d time. looks like they eliminated last year's joke of an ending -- where you had to run past the finish and loop back around about a half mile down the road. finishing on a hill is enough of a challenge, teasing us with a view of the finish at mile 25 was just cruel. Tips. take it easy on the hills in the first few miles. The course flattens out after about 8. Hain's point isn't a treat, but be happy it's not mile 17-19 anymore. The bridge back is awful. People will be littered across it. The highway that is mile 24/25 is also kind of ugly. I love running in DC. Not to start a fight but if you wear headphones i urge you to skip them. It's really a nice course with lots to amuse w/o the music and you won't run the risk of getting popped by a wheelchair coming down the hills. Oh, and for my money, the shirts are the best. Good cotton, warm, nice neck. Not a running shirt, but something you can actually wear. MASN's broadcasting it live.
                          BostonRnr

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! Much appreciated. Ed: Can't promise my race report will be as amusing as yours but I'll try to do the GT5k crowd proud Cool
                              Cheevers- Tongue disagree on the shirt. I have 4 of them and they are cut for a MAN. They are narrow where they need to have a bit more room. Good news-the MCM shirts you can buy are really nice. I agree about carrying water and taking the train early. Also, any spectators have to get off before the starting area-just something to think about. My husband will carry all my stuff and I will wear a throw away shirt and gloves for the wait at the start. Good luck. Kathy

The shirtless wonder

I'll be running on Sunday too. I'll be wearing sunglasses (similar to the ones in my avatar but not the same ones). I'll be hanging around with two other guys (both running the race). I'll be wearing black shorts and red (ish) sneakers. I expect to ditch my shirt a few miles into the race. At the very least I will finish the race shirtless. I've never finished a race wearing a shirt -- including a race in Buffalo NY in February! This will be my third marathon and I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. I'm excited but nervous. I'm not looking forward to the 6-7 hour drive on Saturday. Thanks for all the tips in this thread. The weather report still looks very good. Sunny with a daytime high of 66 which means most of the race should be in the 50s. That is ideal for me. They are currently predicting 12 mph winds from WSW but that shouldn't be too considering all the turns in this race. Sometimes it will be in our face but it'll be at our back too. Good luck to everyone on Sunday. Greg