I Got Dissed By a Bicyclist (Read 2804 times)

True, but try saying it backwards...."without rednecks there would be no NASCAR"....now you've got something you can work with.
    So maybe we should just let all the rednecks and road cyclists duke it out, see who wins?
    C-R

So maybe we should just let all the rednecks and road cyclists duke it out, see who wins?
      My money is on the rednecks. You ever sit in the infield at a big race like Talledega. Mad Max world seems more humane.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The voice of mile 18

They are equally evil. But without the bike, the cyclist cannot be. Thus, it is wholly appropriate to label the bike as the First of the Great Evils.
        I blame the bike. it is easy to be seduced by their sleek lines and promises of easy speed only to be crushed by it on a nut-numbing quad killing ride

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

JimR

What a good question!
          I thought so, but apparently not nearly as much fun to answer! Wink
            I thought so, but apparently not nearly as much fun to answer! Wink
            I know, if she had said "thank you" it would have changed the direction of this thread entirely! Big grin

Michelle

jfa

Here in NJ, I would have given them the ol "you're number one" sign. I run trails around here and these people make me laugh. Most of them could not run around a strawberry short cake, but they act like they're athletes.Give me a break.

Here in NJ, I would have given them the ol "you're number one" sign. I run trails around here and these people make me laugh. Most of them could not run around a strawberry short cake, but they act like they're athletes.Give me a break.
                As a runner and mountain biker I have to take offense to this. Mountain biking is a far more intense aerobic activity than running. Maybe you should try something before you bash it.
                HOSS1961

Just out of curiousity, are you sure she didn't mutter a "thank you" and it just sounded like eff you?
                  Oh yeah and it was confirmed by the 2 other people I was with...She looked to be a hardcore rider and in good shape. She was clipping along pretty good as well. As far as runners go, we can hog the road at times but this was not one of them. Cars didn't have a problem so why should she??
                  HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured

jfa

As a runner and mountain biker I have to take offense to this. Mountain biking is a far more intense aerobic activity than running. Maybe you should try something before you bash it.
                    Point taken, and I apologize for offending you. However, I only go by what I see. What I see is a bunch of overweight , spandex wearing people on over priced bikes. I see them walking up the hills that I run up. I also have been nearly run off the trails because they don't know what they are doing. Perhaps where you ride,it's different. In my younger days, I did ALOT of road biking around San Francisco and was in awesome shape because of it. I also took great pains to ensure that I did it safely and was considerate of others. That seems to be missing around here.

HOSS1961

The funny thing about our team is that we have a good number of people training for tri and bi-athalons. The guy I was with (the other person was a lady) is training for the Louisville Ironman. My thoughts are that it is the few that seem to give the rest a bad name. Personally when I am out running (not racing) I try to say "Good morning", or "How's it going?" to about everybody I come in contact with. One of my running friends from NJ asked if I spoke to everyone. Why not...it was the way I was raised and some people need the lift.
                      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                        Point taken, and I apologize for offending you.
                        no sweat!
                        Lane

How do you determine that mountain biking is "a farm ore intense aerobic activity than running?". I don't have any basis to compare, since the last time I went "mountain" biking I fell going downhill at about 3 miles/hour after 30 seconds on the trail. But that's a pretty strong statement, and I'm surprised that you haven't taken some heat for it, especially on a running website.
                            How do you determine that mountain biking is "a farm ore intense aerobic activity than running?". I don't have any basis to compare, since the last time I went "mountain" biking I fell going downhill at about 3 miles/hour after 30 seconds on the trail. But that's a pretty strong statement, and I'm surprised that you haven't taken some heat for it, especially on a running website.
                            Perhaps I haven't taken any "heat" for my statement because this is generally a friendly and open-minded group of people on this site. Ok, I should have made the disclaimer that this statement is based directly on my own experience. For me, mountain biking 2-3 days a week has made me a much stronger runner. I think it's great cross training. If you would like basis to compare, go find a trail that has 1000ft of climbing over 4-5 miles, first run that trail, then go mountain bike the exact same trail. I would wager that even a pro mountain biker would hurt more after the ride than the run.
                            jpnairn

straw man

If you would like basis to compare, go find a trail that has 1000ft of climbing over 4-5 miles, first run that trail, then go mountain bike the exact same trail.
                              It's easier to run up steep hills. Going downhill is easier with wheels. Mountain biking isn't "harder" or "more intense." It's different. Doing different forms of exercise, cross-training, will make you stronger.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

mountain biking is HARD road biking is EZ With running it took me 3 years of solid training to get to the point where I'm at. In triathlons, it took zero training to get me to the same competitive level on the bike, after buying a cheap entry level road bike (based on the # of people I'm beating in each portion of the tri). Sure, I know I'm basing my conclusion on n=1, but it works for me. Swimming is HARD...but that's another story; let's not go there. Swimmers can diss me all they want.