2017 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 487 times)

xhristopher

Wait...are you saying they don't have porta-potties in the athlete's village?

Also...I feel certain I've tracked other runners at this thing before, but I can't find "runner tracking" on the BAA website.  Am I missing it?

Use the porta john in the village all you like. I'm talking about last minute needs in the starting corrals. You will want to wear the bag to keep warm after your stripping routine.

A minute or so after you start and are running down the hill take a look to your left. There will be a bunch of guys stopped for a brief break in the woods who wished they had known this one simple tip.

Tracking info is at the baa website on one of the pull downs. Yeah, their navigation sucks. They also posted it on Facebook a couple days ago.

Julia1971

Wait...are you saying they don't have porta-potties in the athlete's village?

Also...I feel certain I've tracked other runners at this thing before, but I can't find "runner tracking" on the BAA website.  Am I missing it?

In the past, I'm sure I've managed two visits to the port-a-potties in the Village (lines maybe 10-20 people deep as a Wave 2 runner) and a trip to the potties on the way to the corrals (lines maybe 3-5 people deep).  And, I don't think I've spent more than 5 or 10 minutes in the corral itself.

I feel like I asked the same question about runner tracking last year.  I think they wait closer to the race to set it up.

Where are the weather stalkers?!  I haven't checked but my gut is telling me it's going to be warm...

flauta

Just a quick shout out to everyone who will be running Boston on Monday.  Weather is cooperating for great conditions.  Have fun, soak up the experience and run smart (ie, don't trash your quads the first 5 miles by going out too fast).  Enjoy!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Read through the Participant booklet on the plane. Says the front page of the BAA site will change on race day (or maybe the weekend) so that the runner tracking would be clear.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

xhristopher

Read through the Participant booklet on the plane. Says the front page of the BAA site will change on race day (or maybe the weekend) so that the runner tracking would be clear.

It's on the website but navigation is tough. The BAA does everyone an additional disservice by using corporate branded terminology instead of plain descriptive English in their site navigation. That way finding it becomes an easter egg hunt because it is easter afterall!

On their site it's called "AT&T Athlete Alerts." What the hell does that even mean? Runners are not the ones to be alerted. We're too busy running! Isn't it really an alert for spectators? How about calling it by what people call it? Tracking.

I'm in a generous mood. Here's the link to runner tracking. You can set it up now.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/att-athlete-alerts.aspx

mikeymike

Athlete tracking is different from athlete alerts though. If you want to track runners on race day from your desk or using the mobile app, no worries, it will be easy and relatively intuitive (by BAA standards) to do so. All you need to know is their name--but of course that won't stop all of your friends from posting those updates on Facebook saying my bib number is 12345 in case you want to track me. Can't blame them for the humblebrag, they've earned it.

Athlete alerts via text, otoh, you have to sign up for, and per my wife, it is hit or miss and often gives the alerts too late to be useful. Go with athlete tracking.

Runners run

rmcj001

Weather is looking reasonable, high of 63-66F (2PM), humidity reasonable and, what I like the best, tailwind the whole way! I sure hope they're right...

Ray

xhristopher

It's gonna be sunny and temps look to be similar to last year. The big big difference this year will (hopefully) be the direction of the wind.

In 2011 the wind was similar to what is forecast but not the sun and temps. I recall the air felt stale at times.

This year we're likely to have conditions that can dry you out so hydration will be key. Remember, there is no shade on the course.

I predict the tailwind entice many runners to get carried away early so those tracking could be in for some drama and excitement as splits come in.

an amazing likeness

I was on a flight into BOS this morning...lots of skinny people in BAA jackets and high-tech sneakers on the plane and in the airport.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mikeymike

Yep. I was on the red line from Kendall back to my downtown office yesterday afternoon. Lots of skinny people wearing SWEET Adidas jackets and not knowing how to board a subway car.

Runners run

Julia1971

At the airport waiting for my flight to Boston.  Wore my jacket today even though it's 60 degrees here in D.C.  I look good in mine, so I wish I had more excuses to wear it.  Wink

Julia1971

Have a great race tomorrow, everyone!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Have a great race tomorrow, everyone!

Yep, I'm excited for y'all..have a great day!

jfa

Good luck to All tomorrow !!

MTA after glancing at accuweather

think west wind !