2017 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 487 times)

I thought my post had destroyed the thread.

no that is my talent, killer of threads.

Does anyone even run Boston anymore? I thought ultramarathons were all the rage nowadays.

Get off my porch

xhristopher

Bump.

Julia1971

Thanks Julia!  I hope I get to meet you this time.

I'm still a little paranoid about posting my where-abouts online but I should be out drinking on Boylston not long after the race.  Smile  PM me if you'd like to meet up.  I plan the meet up for my running club and Boston friends, too.  It all seems to work out in the end.

Julia1971

I work in Boston so , depending on my mood, I may be willing to answer any logistical questions about getting around town with the T, road closures, etc...

Any advice on getting to Back Bay/Boylston area from the airport?  I've taken cabs and they are SO expensive.  I've also tried taking public transportation (not Boston Marathon weekend but when I was there for a conference) and it was a disaster.  Should I just eat the cab fare?

bhearn

I'd take the T (Silver Line). Or maybe Uber. Haven't tried that yet in Boston.

Julia1971

I'd take the T (Silver Line). Or maybe Uber. Haven't tried that yet in Boston.

Is the Silver Line a train that actually runs through that areas or do you have to catch a bus to get to it?  For some reason, I think the Silver Line doesn't actually run near Boston Common and I ended up waiting for a bus that would take me to it that never came.

bhearn

It's a bus. It goes to South Station. Yes, it's slow. But from there you can hop on the Red Line.

Julia1971

It's a bus. It goes to South Station. Yes, it's slow. But from there you can hop on the Red Line.

Thanks!  (I could probably just walk to South Station.)

mikeymike

You can't walk to south station from the airport. You could swim I suppose.

Your options are silver line, blue line to orange line, or Uber. (Or cab, I guess, but I'd rather have root canal.)

Runners run

Julia1971

You can't walk to south station from the airport. You could swim I suppose.

Your options are silver line, blue line to orange line, or Uber. (Or cab, I guess, but I'd rather have root canal.)

Okay...  I was thinking of the trip back to the airport, so that's good to know - the Silver Line isn't an option from the airport.  Damn, getting around Boston is ridiculously hard!

Confession: I've never used Uber on my own.  Only with a co-worker.  I know its irrational but I still don't trust it for some reason.  I told myself I should get over it after I spent $50+ dollars taking a cab from O'Hare to downtown Chicago this summer.

montag

Super Pro Lurker

Unfortunately you can only get cars with livery plates to pick you up at logan airport, so you have to take uber black. It was about $58 from the airport to the porter square area at around 10pm when I took it, so not really a savings over a taxi (but it is nicer!). Uber/Uberpool going TO the airport is pretty cheap and quick though.

bhearn

the Silver Line isn't an option from the airport.  Damn, getting around Boston is ridiculously hard!

Why not? That's what I always do.

Julia1971

Why not? That's what I always do.

Sorry.  I meant the walking to South Station part.

mikeymike

Unfortunately you can only get cars with livery plates to pick you up at logan airport, so you have to take uber black. It was about $58 from the airport to the porter square area at around 10pm when I took it, so not really a savings over a taxi (but it is nicer!). Uber/Uberpool going TO the airport is pretty cheap and quick though.

I take uber x all the time from Logan.

Runners run

jfa

Brings back memories. Any other CoolRunning old-timers here? 

Oh yeah. That was a while ago. I was a new runner then. My dream was to run Boston. It took me 8 years , ~17,000 miles , and 15 marathons to get there. It was well worth it.