Request for input on types of speedwork (Read 405 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I think I just ran my last race of the year, a 5k in which I PRd (24:08). For the balance of the year I'm going to be rebuilding my base and working on some speed and am looking for input as to where I might get the best bang for my buck. Right now I'm running 4x per week and will be transitioning to 5x per week as the year draws to a close. I plan on running a spring marathon. Basically my question is should I put more emphasis on LT training since that's more of a determinant for marathon racing than VO2max? A mix of the two? Basically what I amd considering is something like this, alternating these two weeks: week 1 1 LT workout, either standard tempo run or cruise intervals 2-3 easy runs 45-60 minutes 1 longer run 90min-2 hours week 2 1 interval/track workout for VO2max 2-3 easy runs 45-60 minutes 1 longer run with some cruise intervals (ex 20 min easy, 5 x (5 min LT + 1 min rest), 1 hour easy ) I think that would be a good balance between types of speedwork and the LT session tacked in to a medium/longer run would get me ready for marathon training come mid Jan.
      Hello Mr Inertia – Here is my opinion/thoughts after scanning your log: 1) You are running a lot of easy paced miles. I think it is good that you are not racing your weekly runs. 2) In the beginning of the year you ran a weekly 10 to 14 mile run, and see you plan to add that back to your schedule. I think this will be your most important weekly run. 3) I did not see many (any?) LT/tempo paced runs, so I think adding those will be almost as beneficial as your long run. 4) The cruise intervals (ex 20 min easy, 5 x (5 min LT + 1 min rest), 1 hour easy). I like that workout. I would build up to it. Start with 3 or 4 reps and take 60 to 90 second recoveries, and increase the workload until you get to 5 x (5 min LT + 1 min rest). 5) The interval / track work, I don’t know. The risk of injury/burn-out may almost outweigh their benefits. I would consider these “icing on the cake.” If you find yourself skipping long runs or tempo runs, it will probably be because the intervals are taking too much out of you. Overall, I think your plan is reasonable. You may want to add 4 to 5 X 100 meter striders once or twice a week. Good luck!
      mikeymike

At your level (and mine for that matter so don't take this as an insult) neither LT nor VO2max is most important for marathon improvement. It's simple mileage. What's more, the best way to improve both is to just run more. I'd focus on running a 90 minute mid-week run and a 2+ hour weekend run and as many 45-60 minute easy runs as you can fit in the rest of the days. Some of these 90 and 120+ minute runs can be progression runs, fast funish runs, or include cruise intervals and/or some pickups, or just run over hilly courses. A couple of the easy 45-60 minute runs should include some strides, like 8 x 20 seconds on grass or a flat stretch of road or 8-10 x 100m on the track or a football field, etc. That's about it. This is simple, but not easy.

Runners run