Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

Just bumping this thread up after some quiet time.
    JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I just missed a sub 19:00 yesterday. I ran a tough 10 mile race on Saturday and back it up with a 5K race the next day. I only had my daughter with me in the single stroller so it was much easier than the double. I had a REALLY fast start but I was feeling great. The person at the 1 mile mark said 5:22 but my Garmin read 5:36 so she must have been way off. I was going well up the hill. I was holding about 6:30 pace going up to the top at mile 2. And then something happened that had never happened in almost 100 races for me before. My shoe lace came untied! I always double knot my laces so I have no idea how that could have happened. I tried to run with it but I realized that it was my chip shoe. When I realized I had dropped my chip I had to turn around and go get it. The race I was running was part of a series of races. If you don’t have a chip “You didn’t run the race”. I decided that loosing 20 seconds was better than a DNF. I got the chip, threw it in the bottom of the stroller and got the stroller turned back around. I knew that my chance at a PR was done but I at least wanted to finish strong. I gave it everything I had. My second mile was a 6:50 with the pit stop and it was uphill the whole way. I hit the turn around and tried to drop the hammer. However, my shoe was still untied so I kept running out of my shoe. I finally decided that it was just not my day so I backed off and just tried to hold a steady pace to the finish. In the end I managed a 19:03 but I know I was capable of A LOT lower than that. My third mile was a 6:08 though and that was with my shoe falling off the whole time. I guess you win some and you loose some. It just wasn’t my lucky day.
        In the end I managed a 19:03 but I know I was capable of A LOT lower than that. My third mile was a 6:08 though and that was with my shoe falling off the whole time. I guess you win some and you loose some. It just wasn’t my lucky day.
        With the unfortunate incident and you still came in with 19:03, I think you are in much better shape than a 19min 5k shape. When is your next race?
        JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

With the unfortunate incident and you still came in with 19:03, I think you are in much better shape than a 19min 5k shape. When is your next race?
          Yea it wasn’t even a stop. I had to turn the stroller around and run the opposite direction for about 10 yards. I have a half marathon next week. However, I am not very good at the longer distances. I would be happy to just break 1:30 this weekend.
            I can just picture this guy in a double jogging stroller running with his shoe untied passing me. As I peer into his stroller I see his chip laying in the stroller bottom. Big grin
            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I can just picture this guy in a double jogging stroller running with his shoe untied passing me. As I peer into his stroller I see his chip laying in the stroller bottom. Big grin
              What is funny is how many people offered to lend me their chip!
                What is funny is how many people offered to lend me their chip!
                You can certainly have mine Wink Looks like I will have 1 to 2 5k's left in the rest of the year, besides my goal marathon race on 12/7. In my next 5k at the end of Nov, I would probably shoot for 19:35. It is a moderately difficult course (more difficult than my last one where I broke 20), so I would be a bit more conservative. However, I do feel I could improve a lot in the next 4 weeks so I would give it a try.

RHS Track Runner

Got it! Ran an 18:56 today at the Sushine Athletic Conference Championship race. It was an amazing race, our whole boys Varsity team finished under 19 minutes. Two went under 17 minutes, one under 18 minutes, and four under 19 minutes. Me and our # 7 runner (previously # 6) had the kick of our lives starting with 800 meters left. We caught 15 runners and found ourselves competing against each other for position on the team (I beat him by a head...I leaned forward before we crossed the finish).
                  PRs: 200M- 0:28 400M- 1:15 Mile- 5:46 2400M- 9:26 5K- 18:56 2009 Outdoor Track Goals: -2:05 800M -4:45 1600M -sub 10:00 3200M RIDGEWOOD HS Track & Field
                  JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Got it! Ran an 18:56 today at the Sushine Athletic Conference Championship race. It was an amazing race, our whole boys Varsity team finished under 19 minutes. Two went under 17 minutes, one under 18 minutes, and four under 19 minutes. Me and our # 7 runner (previously # 6) had the kick of our lives starting with 800 meters left. We caught 15 runners and found ourselves competing against each other for position on the team (I beat him by a head...I leaned forward before we crossed the finish).
                    Awesome job! It feels great doesn't it! It looks like your mile PR says 6:06. You must have had a mile under 6:06 today, right?
                    JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Check out my new profile picture! The shoe lace is clearly untied in the picture! Man, I can't believe I didn't lace it right!
                        Good job Rozz... Was that your last race of the year? JDF you are a character all right! I am thinking about starting a sub 22 club since I didn't run much of anything for 2 months and am starting back up again. I am keeping most of my stuff around 8 minute pace and trying to get the mileage up. I have run for 15 straight days (at least a mile) so I hope my stamina will get better. I think I can gain my speed much quicker because of all the miles I put in this Spring/Summer. I ran a time trial alone in 22:51 a couple days ago. I fear a 7:00 mile paced 5k would be pretty tough at least for a couple more weeks. I am thinking I will end my 10 hour days after Thanksgiving....going back to 8 hour days should help me rack up more miles on workdays in the snow.

RHS Track Runner

Good job Rozz... Was that your last race of the year?
                          That was the last race of the season for Junior Varsity but for Varsity we still have the post-season, next up is the District Championships and then most likely Regionals and, since this is my senior year, hopefully State Finals.
                          PRs: 200M- 0:28 400M- 1:15 Mile- 5:46 2400M- 9:26 5K- 18:56 2009 Outdoor Track Goals: -2:05 800M -4:45 1600M -sub 10:00 3200M RIDGEWOOD HS Track & Field
                            Good job Rozz... Was that your last race of the year? I think I can gain my speed much quicker because of all the miles I put in this Spring/Summer. I ran a time trial alone in 22:51 a couple days ago. I fear a 7:00 mile paced 5k would be pretty tough at least for a couple more weeks.
                            Hi Michigan, I think you will be back to good shape soon now that you have started running regularly. I am thinking that you may not need to worry about time trial and can just build your miles back up for several weeks.
                              Congratulations! That's an awesome time. I thought about going for 19:35 in my upcoming 5k. But it seems pretty difficult. It is a more challenging course. And it might be a bit long (though it said it was certified). So, if I want that time, I would have to set my Garmin VP for 3.16 miles (that's what it usually measured) @ 6:11/mile, that is quite a bit faster than my 5k PR @ 6:24 pace several weeks ago. I might go for 6:15 / mile and then see what happens.
                                This thread has been so quiet! Is it true that no one is going for sub 19 this year?