Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

This thread has been so quiet! Is it true that no one is going for sub 19 this year?
    I think quite a few people have either achieved the sub 19:00 or they might have changed their goals to the sub 3 hour marathon. A lot of the old short distance hopefuls have moved on to long distance. I was able to hit a sub 19:00 in my last race. However, my real goal is sub 18:00. I will get that right after I BQ at Myrtle in February.
      I'm looking to go sub 19 this year. It would be a big jump on my PR but my 3:01 marathon from yesterday converts to sub 19. However the next 5k I might run is in June/July
      JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I'm looking to go sub 19 this year. It would be a big jump on my PR but my 3:01 marathon from yesterday converts to sub 19. However the next 5k I might run is in June/July
        DCV, Like I said before, your marathon times are just sick! Honestly, you should be in the low 18’s for 5ks though. I run with a couple of girls that typically run in the 20:00 to 21:00 range for 5ks but run 3:10 to 3:15 marathons. How in the world can you hold your 5k pace for 26.2? Great job on your Marathon though! That was a terrific effort!
        kcam

DCV, Like I said before, your marathon times are just sick! Honestly, you should be in the low 18’s for 5ks though. I run with a couple of girls that typically run in the 20:00 to 21:00 range for 5ks but run 3:10 to 3:15 marathons. How in the world can you hold your 5k pace for 26.2? Great job on your Marathon though! That was a terrific effort!
          I find this question to be highly interesting! I think, like dcv, my shorter distance PR's just don't add up to what I can do in the 26.2 distance. I SHOULD be faster, but I'm not. Why? I think because I've always trained like a mid-pack marathoner - lots of slow-paced mileage with very little real interval or speedwork. I don't like 5K or 10K speedwork because it's really hard to do. My body is telling me the whole time to STOP! NOW! Whereas my body doesn't mind, no enjoys, mosying along at 8min/mile pace all day long with some occasional 6:45 work in there. 6:45 is still pretty dang comfortable but drop that to 6:10 or 6:20 and my body starts to rebel. Maybe I'm just not cut out to run at faster than maybe 6:00/mile?? I'm gonna try and find out by spending some time doing 10K work. Fingers crossed that I get faster and I don't get hurt. JDF, you seem to be able to tolerate the hi-intensity work (maybe you even like it!) more than you tolerate, or like, the long slow distance. Seems like you would be a monster at 26.2 if you could get in the mileage you need. You are like the anti-kencamet or dcv -- very, very fast mile times yet relatively slow distance times. Sorry if this doesn't belong in this thread.
            If the cards play right and I somehow manage to get into NY. That will give me sometime after Boston to 1. rest from marathon training and 2. try to do some faster stuff for shorter races over the summer. I guess me and ken are allergic to lactic acid I guess. You don't really experience (at least you're not supposed to) in a half-marathon or marathon. In a 5k/10k you're supposed to feel like you are dying at the end. The end of a 5k feels much worse than a marathon I think. Except its over a hell of a lot quicker than a marathon Smile
            kcam

dcv - I don't know how old you are but if you run a 2:55 marathon you get automatic entry into NYC in the OPEN class. If ou're a little older they give you a few more minutes. It's much tougher than qualifying for Boston but I could run NYC this year without entering the lottery based on my CIM (and SiValley) time.
              lap

I'm in on the goal for 2009. Right now, though, I'm targeting a half followed by a 10k, so if I get it along the way it would be a bonus. I prefer the speed work for the shorter races, but I'm trying to shave several minutes off my half time before working on 5ks in the fall.
                JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

JDF, you seem to be able to tolerate the hi-intensity work (maybe you even like it!) more than you tolerate, or like, the long slow distance. Seems like you would be a monster at 26.2 if you could get in the mileage you need. You are like the anti-kencamet or dcv -- very, very fast mile times yet relatively slow distance times. Sorry if this doesn't belong in this thread.
                  Yea I enjoy running fast on the downhills. I just can't shorten my stride enough to do well on the uphills though. I actually have been running a lot more miles lately. I did 37 in the last 3 days and I have done 4 half marathons in a single week before. The problem is that I did not have the correct nutrition before. I have corrected that and I think I am finally ready to post a monster marathon time. I won't do it at Myrtle though. I will hit the 3:10 BQ time and not much less. If I get to run Boston I might go for it there. In my past marathons I have just gone out too fast and I have cramped terribly around 20 miles. If I can avoid the cramps I hope to be able to run a very nice last 10k. I didn't cramp on my 20 mile tread mill run on Saturday. That is a great sign. The flat Myrtle beach course should help me as well. I ran an 18:42 a few weeks ago and it literally felt like a jog. Increasing my distance training has had a huge impact on my short distance speed.
                  JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I don't like 5K or 10K speedwork because it's really hard to do. My body is telling me the whole time to STOP! NOW!
                    The only time my body tells me to STOP! NOW! is when my legs cramp solid at mile 20 of 26.2. There is just no way to run through those cramps.
                      I'm 36 going on 37 so I need a 255 or 123 by may first. Jdf. Something I tried for Houston that I think helped was using a product called ultra fuel about 2.5 hours before the race. 800 calories and 200 g of carbs.
                        I have been lazy as the snow and zero degree weather pummels Michigan. I think I am giving up on my goal of winning my age group as racing starts around April 20th and I have been running about a mile a day so far this year. Without a treadmill this year so my miles are low. I think I will just train more and race less....that way I can lower my times without the races getting in the way so much. I still want to go sub 19....maybe a half marathon in September.
                        kcam

<rationalizations> ... I think I will just train more and race less...</rationalizations>
                          Focus on that and you'll get faster.
                          JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I have been lazy as the snow and zero degree weather pummels Michigan. I think I am giving up on my goal of winning my age group as racing starts around April 20th and I have been running about a mile a day so far this year. Without a treadmill this year so my miles are low. I think I will just train more and race less....that way I can lower my times without the races getting in the way so much. I still want to go sub 19....maybe a half marathon in September.
                            You could always get a treadmill?
                              I think quite a few people have either achieved the sub 19:00 or they might have changed their goals to the sub 3 hour marathon. A lot of the old short distance hopefuls have moved on to long distance. I was able to hit a sub 19:00 in my last race. However, my real goal is sub 18:00. I will get that right after I BQ at Myrtle in February.
                              I'm still here, I'm just lurking. Smile Finally getting back up to my daily 6 mile runs and finally starting to feel good running again. Felt like I had some pop today. Last week I put in 3 six milers (among other runs) and this week I'll put in 4. Next race is Gasparilla 5K in a month but since I'm still slowly ramping my mileage back up, I don't expect to PR. I may be fooling myself and actually run a sub 20, but I'm really just running slow/easy stuff right now until I get back up to 30 and 40 miles per week since my 5 month injury timeout. I think I'll have a better shot at the Buccaneer's Draft Day Dash in April as I always seem to run that course faster. (Asthma doesn't do well in the Feb cold and there always seems to be about 15 or 20mph winds coming off the bay) Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and say hi and bump the thread. Smile Good luck in the training and races all.
                              Run like you stole something.
                                Yep, this is one of my big goals for this year, my best so far is 21:12, but I have a mile time of 5:42 so I'm fairly confident with good pre-race training and a well run race I could go sub 20. Assuming thats true I shoukd have a fairly realisitic shot as sub 19 because I am upping my milage from about 30 mpw to 70mpw, and, have about 15-20 pounds of weight left to go.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."