Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

C-R

Yup. They still own XC. Another state championship this year. That was #22 for the coach who retired this year. Development program starts in 3rd grade. One of mine wants to run in to so I guess I'll get to see it first hand. Running is serious business around here.

Thanks for the training ideas. I am planning on adding tempos and varried track works sounds good. What is a ladder?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Run happy

Thanks for the training ideas. I am planning on adding tempos and varried track works sounds good. What is a ladder?

ladder is an intervall work-out with increasing or decreasing distance (or both).

an increasing ladder may look like:

10x200 with 200 rec., 400 jog, 8x400 with 400 rec., 400 jog, 6x800 with 400 rec.

and of course pace should decrease with increasing distance.

I personally like those work-outs, they are kind of "not boring".

by the way, as michigan graduated me from sub20 club Wink , I go for a sub19.

So far increasing the mileage , for the last 3 weeks: 46-49-51 I'll try to peak to 60's... all personal highs.

Congratulations on graduating to this thread.

Your workout sounds quite challenging.  Do you do it regularly?  60mpw is really solid.

ladder is an intervall work-out with increasing or decreasing distance (or both).

an increasing ladder may look like:

10x200 with 200 rec., 400 jog, 8x400 with 400 rec., 400 jog, 6x800 with 400 rec.

and of course pace should decrease with increasing distance.

I personally like those work-outs, they are kind of "not boring".

by the way, as michigan graduated me from sub20 club Wink , I go for a sub19.

So far increasing the mileage , for the last 3 weeks: 46-49-51 I'll try to peak to 60's... all personal highs.

Run happy

Congratulations on graduating to this thread.

Your workout sounds quite challenging.  Do you do it regularly?  60mpw is really solid.

I realize that the example was a little too challenging, I just made up the numbers Wink

I try to do this kind of work once a month (most of the standart training program on the net   does not include such intervals). Last month I did a conservative one with:

200x6 @ 5:57 pace, with 200 rec.

400x4 @ 6:04 pace, with 200 rec.

800x2 @ 6:11 pace, with 400 rec.

60 mpw was unreachable for me 2 months before, but as the miles add up it is just the next step. I'll go up till the 3th week of august, then start tapering for berlin marathon.

Run happy

this week: 2 tempo run and 1 speed intervall

200 miles in july.

50 days for Berlin, bib no: 16236 Smile

this week: 2 tempo run and 1 speed intervall

200 miles in july.

50 days for Berlin, bib no: 16236 Smile

I'm doing Berlin as well noyau.  It looks like you are building up your miles nicely.

50 days!  That doesn't seem like much time does it!!

Run happy

50 days!  That doesn't seem like much time does it!!

not at all!

you'll go for a sub-3 I guess? and that should not be so difficult for you.

I'll try to go for a sub 3:15, and as much as possible close to 3 Wink

not at all!

you'll go for a sub-3 I guess? and that should not be so difficult for you.

I'll try to go for a sub 3:15, and as much as possible close to 3 Wink

Yes I'll go for sub-3, and yes I should be able to do it but I do have a big respect for the marathon - I know I need to train well in the next month to be ready.

With your training I would be confident that you would do sub 3:15 and potentially very close to 3 hours!  I bet you could run well under your half pb today.

Are you planning many races before Berlin?

I am sure it is exciting to run Berlin!  Good luck in your training.

I have run my monthly mileage PR of 381.7 miles in July.  Now, I just want to translate my hard work into some better times, hopefully.

Yes I'll go for sub-3, and yes I should be able to do it but I do have a big respect for the marathon - I know I need to train well in the next month to be ready.

With your training I would be confident that you would do sub 3:15 and potentially very close to 3 hours!  I bet you could run well under your half pb today.

Run happy

we'll see how well it will go Wink unfortunately I had one chance for a 10k race at the end of august, for the rest I'll try to do solo races (I am planning 4 race like run).

I would like to hear about your tapering plan. when you will cut down your mileage? and to which level?

gcklo, I'am feeling excited Smile

C-R

Wow. I feel out of place with all this fast stuff and high mileage but you need to jump in the deep end to learn how to swim.

Thanks for the ladder example. I'll have to really improve to do a workout like that but I will use McMillan numbers and build my own ladder track workout.

Good luck to you and gcklo Roth at Berlin. Sounds exciting.

MTA - got people mixed up on Marathons.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

I am not running Berlin this year but will definitely give it a try in the next several years. I am just excited for our fellow runners here

Wow. I feel out of place with all this fast stuff and high mileage but you need to jump in the deep end to learn how to swim.

Thanks for the ladder example. I'll have to really improve to do a workout like that but I will use McMillan numbers and build my own ladder track workout.

Good luck to you and gcklo at Berlin. Sounds exciting.

noyau, I'm probably going to do a fairly short taper.  I'll do my last really long run 3 weeks from Berlin but I'll probably only start tapering down my mileage 7-10 days before the marathon.  I'm hoping to peak around 60-65 miles also.  Bring on Berlin!

Thanks for the encouragement gcklo & Carmel.  381 miles in July, that's mighty impressove gcklo!  Wow!

And Carmel, Nice 5k pr at the weekend.  I did a good ladder style workout the other day oyu might like:

2k @ half marathon pace, with 400 rec.

3 x 1k @ 10k pace, with 200 rec.

6 x 400m @ 5k pace, with 400 rec.

Working from stamina to speedier reps, but those last reps had long recoveries to avoid the session turning too 5k focused.

C-R

Thanks Roth. I'll try those at the track this week. Had a 5k today and hit 19:32. Felt very solid on mile 1 and 3. Lost about 10 sec on 2 but I'll blame that on loss of focus. Starting to see sub 19 from where I am.

Felt very solid on mile 1 and 3. Lost about 10 sec on 2 but I'll blame that on loss of focus. Starting to see sub 19 from where I am.

Nice run. 

Current Goals: Run and stuff