Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

Run happy

Goodness! Noyau, I remember just a few months ago when you were trying to break 20 in the 5k. What an improvement. Great job.

Thank you guys.

When I started following these threads in runningahead I decided to do a time trial on the mill. The result was a 19:50 (21st of April). Then, it was fair to set a sub-20 goal in a real race. May be I just didn't push hard enough.

Beforehand I had no idea about what a 5k race really is. I didn't had any 5k race. Just becasue there are very few of them around here. I did run 1200k in the last 4 months (after that time trial)  and 1900k in this year and I try to train clever. 

I just had one race in the beginning of june a 5800m with 22:02. that was promising. and here is my second race: a 5k with sub18, that's a huge step. I played a lot of soccer till 18. May be I have a better base then I'am thinking.

I'm running -regularly- for the last two years and I will keep moving Smile. I have now Berlin Marathon, then train for a 10k in 31th of December. For march 2010 I'll go for a HM.

And I found great part of my motivation in these threads, thank you again.

C-R

Wow. Totally skipping the 18s all together. Well done indeed!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MoBramExam

I played a lot of soccer till 18. May be I have a better base then I'am thinking.

Both my son's club and high school soccer coaches told the kids a soccer player will run hard for three miles during an average game.  Maybe you've been training for this race all your life and didn't know it?    Again, great job!  Good luck in Berlin.

I raced a 5k this morning (09:30 GT+2). Around 50 people were there, my rank should somewhere in the middle (don't know yet).

perfectly flat course by the sea, a gentle breeze from behind. I'am familiar with the course cause I'am using it course once a week or so.

started fast (again) but very fast this time. When I passed over the 2k mark I check my watch and read 07:00!?

I was suffering, but I kept running. I did think about giving up, that was after 3rd km. I slowed down, but then keep running anyway. A bunch of -negative split- guy passed me, couldn't react. My heart rate was around 180's. Didn't check my watch again till the finish line. But think about giving up two more times.

Finish line and read 17:38. Check agian, still 17:38. I did check te course from google earth, 5k.

This is how marathon training is paying back?

Fantastic performance noyau!  It looks like you are ready for Berlin after this.

Hi Jim,

BTW, you saw someone wearing some sock like shoes during warmup.  Do they look like http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ ?

Yes George; very nice run. You really poured it on that last lap--at least from my vantage point it looked that way. I had an 8 sec negative split for 2nd half of race but you were still pulling away. You should have stuck around for the breakfast.

Another push for you to run Buffalo Stampede. The weather forecast looks good for this time of year in Sac--60 degrees for 8:00 a.m. start and partly cloudy.

Hope to see you there.

That's super fast!  17 min range, wow!  Congratulations!

I raced a 5k this morning (09:30 GT+2). Around 50 people were there, my rank should somewhere in the middle (don't know yet).

perfectly flat course by the sea, a gentle breeze from behind. I'am familiar with the course cause I'am using it course once a week or so.

started fast (again) but very fast this time. When I passed over the 2k mark I check my watch and read 07:00!?

I was suffering, but I kept running. I did think about giving up, that was after 3rd km. I slowed down, but then keep running anyway. A bunch of -negative split- guy passed me, couldn't react. My heart rate was around 180's. Didn't check my watch again till the finish line. But think about giving up two more times.

Finish line and read 17:38. Check agian, still 17:38. I did check te course from google earth, 5k.

This is how marathon training is paying back?

kcam

17:38!  Count me as very, very impressed.  Can't wait to see what you can do at Berlin and that 10K.  Congratulations.

Run happy

17:38!  Count me as very, very impressed.  Can't wait to see what you can do at Berlin and that 10K.  Congratulations.

It's a little scary to make such improvement. The effort of the race was so enormous that it seems unreal to me right now. I'll get the confidence of a sub-18 if only I can duplicate it. But one thing for sure, I like racing and get great motivation in it. 

For Berlin, I'll be conservative, as Roth mentioned before one should have respect for a marathon (especially if it is only the second one) Wink The result will be a very good indicator -if not hit the wall-.

thank you all.   

With a time like that you'll have to wait for me at the finish noyau!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you do!

TMorin

Jumping into a local 5K this weekend. Hoping to get under 19. Been a pretty seady increase since my first race a year ago.Got 19:14 in a hot 5K that didn't feel great. Now that its cooled down I'm pretty sure I'll do it.
                      TMorin

Jumping into a local 5K this weekend. Hoping to get under 19. Been a pretty seady increase since my first race a year ago.Got 19:14 in a hot 5K that didn't feel great. Now that its cooled down I'm pretty sure I'll do it.

18:52. Wasn't as cool as I was hoping for. Third overall though, best finish by far. On to the 18:36 thread.