Training Dilemma (Read 738 times)

KMB

11 a.m. in Rhode Island, steady rain will be here through evening... sunday weather looks good... 3 weeks out from BQ attempt, so it is a 20-22 miler weekend... have 4 DC under age 12 (Easter Bunny tonight), and hosting family at noon tomorrow. Options: a. outside today, shut up deal with the rain and do your 22 b. inside today (dreadmill), do your 22 c. super early tomorrow and try to be back before kids wake up d. get kids up in enough time to see the easter bunny droppings then run: be done before guests arrive at noon Confused Confused Confused

A Saucy Wench

I would choose in order: a never put off because you never know what tomorrow will bring. c huge gap here because it would take dire circumstances to get to the next 2. ....... b y.a.a.w.n. It's rain. What if it rains on the marathon? d really? you think thats gonna happen and you'll be all hostish? Or will you be leaving dw to stress and stew about the last minute hosting details and do you really really want that much resentment in your life?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

I have 4 under 12 (one is only under 12 for another week) so I can relate and I would choose (a.) by a pretty wide margin. I might opt to make it more like 19-20 with a fast finish instead of 22, primarily in the interest of getting it over with and getting out of the rain sooner. But that would be a game time decision based on how miserable the weather was and what my training had included up until that point.

Runners run

Beware, batbear...

As long as there's no lightning, it's not dangerously cold, and you're not a witch Wink, I would think you should do the rain. Oh, I guess the other one would be if wet weather affects your immune system. Everyone's different. If you think you'll be healthy when you're done, then go for it.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

KMB

b y.a.a.w.n.
            ?
            d really? you think thats gonna happen and you'll be all hostish? Or will you be leaving dw to stress and stew about the last minute hosting details and do you really really want that much resentment in your life?
            it's not that way here. I see your point but the missing the morning with the kids would be a much more significant source of contention for me, dw, and dc. it may rain on marathon day, true. I see the downside of picking up an injury running around in heavy shoes for 20 miles with drivers that have impaired vision a lot clearer than i see the value of the 20 in the rain. Just sayin. an additional alternative has arisen: e. head out for ten; reevaluate. if ok, continue; if treacherous, bail to option c.
              I'd vote for getting it done in the rain. I did two 20+ milers in heavy rain last Fall, and then -- surprise, surprise -- had steady rain on marathon day. The long wet training runs helped me ignore the conditions and just run on race day.
              I see the downside of picking up an injury running around in heavy shoes for 20 miles with drivers that have impaired vision a lot clearer than i see the value of the 20 in the rain. Just sayin.
              Fair points. Any chance you could do your 22 in two 11 mile loops? This would allow you to change shoes (and clothes if you want) in case you're getting overwhelmingly waterlogged.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

A Saucy Wench

?
                y.a.a.w.n. = treadmill -22 - there would have to be sheet ice and a plague of locusts to get me to choose dreadmill over lil ol rain. I think the most I ever managed on a dreadmill was 10.5 and that was due to 2 ft of unpacked snow Honestly, I live in a rainy state so I run in the rain a lot. A little extra bodyglide everywhere and contrasting clothing for visiblity and hooo-yah.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

KMB

a. it is 2 10.25 mile loops
                  CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good choice. Let us know how it goes! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

KMB

ok - glad its over. thanks to the folks who said to get out there... two 10+ loops in a steady rain and an increasing wind... the last mile was straight in my face and hellish but 3 months ago I probably would not have stepped out the door much less made it through in a decent time... on the second loop where I felt worse than the first lap, I kept repeating my favorite running quote from Juma Ikaanga: the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare. and it was preparing for sure. Positives: its done decent time no injuries no old or new pains its done negatives: not close to a negative split wanted a fast finish and couldnt get it done nourishment issues in second half (but makes sense based on the day's menu) but again, its done and I am thinking about tomorrows run.
                        Nice job under tough conditions. Hard workouts like this pay dividends on race day, both physically and mentally. If things get tough during your marathon, you can always remember that you're strong enough and fit enough that you didn't quit during that rough 20 miler in the rain and wind.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Way to go!! Now you're ready for race day if it's rainy and windy.
                          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                          KMB

I'm especially happy as I am 3 chocolate bars deep at 730 a.m. Big grin i was a tad surprised there wasn't one HTFU comment... everybody must have been at church Wink
                              HTFU!! there. happy? Big grin (I'm going to church in an hour...)
                              KMB

at long last! you win a chocolate bar after church oh - hey - MCAT Race Report??