Training for HM: Save the 13.1 for that day or train higher mileage? (Read 841 times)

I started the first of the year to train for my first HM at the beginning of June. I am currently using a training schedule by Art Liberman. It looks similar to Hal Higdon's novice training schedule. You never run the actual HM distance in training. Every 3 weeks you cut back your mileage for a "light week". So far this is going well. However, I have a friend (ex-runner) who thinks that to run a HM you should be running long runs of say, 15 miles so that you know you can do the 13.1. I'm a 48 yr old female, who has only been running since 2006. I have run two 10K races. My longest runs have been 6.5 miles. I have no dreams of winning any race, just want to finish strongly. So what do you more experienced runners have to say about this. I look forward to reading your advice.
    Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
    Peyton

No matter your competitive goals, I would recommend running at least two long runs over the half-marathon distance to best enjoy the race itself. This way you will arrive on the starting line confident in your abilities and excited, rather than nervous, about the task ahead. Include one fourteen miler approxiamately six weeks before your goal half, and a fifteen miler three weeks out. Your other long runs should be 9-12mls and perhaps include some light fartlek at the end to improve your muscular/aerobic endurance. Best of Luck!
        Marsha, Great job with your consistency. Keep that up! I truely believe that easy, consistent runs are the key to successful races. How long is your longest scheduled run? If you do a couple 10 milers, you'll be fine on race day.
        2009: BQ?
        Wingz

Professional Noob

I've only run two half-marathons, and on neither of them did I ever run longer than 13.1 in training. However, in each of the two races I ended up having trouble with my IT band DURING the race - a problem I never had during training. Silly me is planning for a third HM... this time I'm planning to include two 14.4 mile runs. Hopefully that'll help. Tongue So from my (LIMITED) experience, I'd say it's possibly a good thing to have. I suspect that what you NEED to have under your belt before race day varies from person to person. Psychologically, there's something to be said for having run the distance before. However, you'll also have a boost from just being in the race. And you'll probably be racing faster than you run your long runs at (hopefully!) so the time factor's different too. Good luck in your race, however you decide!

Roads were made for journeys...

there is no need to run over distance in training to run a HM strongly and finish well. when you are aiming to get faster and targeting new PRs etc then overdistance long runs are a very good idea. as is more mileage. but to finish and finish well then as trishie says - some 10milers will be just fine.
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

It depends on your goals. Certainly, if you're just loolking to cross the finish line, you won't need to go for more than 13 miles in your training. If you want to run your best race, you'll definately want to go longer than your targted distance. How far you go varies with where you are as a runner, how long you've been running, your goals and such. Generally 16-18 miles makes for a goo dlong run when you're prepping for the half marathon.
                I used Hal Higdon's training program for a half marathon, and it worked just fine. I agree with several of the other posts; you could run more than the 13.1 in training if you want to. It's not necesary, though, unless you are really planning to race. The excitement of the race, and going further than you've ever gone before (for me it was 10 miles), will carry you through it. My best advice would be to relax, don't go out too fast, leave some energy in the tank for that last 3 miles! And enjoy it!
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                  Thank you all for your replies. There are two 10 mile runs 6 and 5 weeks out, an 11 mile run three weeks out and finally a 12 mile run two weeks out. The final week has an 8 mile-rest day-6mile run-rest day-4mile run-rest day, then an optional 2mile run the day before HM. I can psychologically and even physically see the benefit of running the HM distance prior to the run, just so I know I can do it. My goal is to run the HM in under 2:30. I have done 10K in 1:05:14. I hadn't trained for it anywhere like I am training for this HM, but I also don't want to set an unreasonable goal and be disappointed.
                  Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

I started the first of the year to train for my first HM at the beginning of June. I am currently using a training schedule by Art Liberman. It looks similar to Hal Higdon's novice training schedule. You never run the actual HM distance in training. Every 3 weeks you cut back your mileage for a "light week". So far this is going well. However, I have a friend (ex-runner) who thinks that to run a HM you should be running long runs of say, 15 miles so that you know you can do the 13.1. I'm a 48 yr old female, who has only been running since 2006. I have run two 10K races. My longest runs have been 6.5 miles. I have no dreams of winning any race, just want to finish strongly. So what do you more experienced runners have to say about this. I look forward to reading your advice.
                    Marsha, you sound a lot like me! My first HM is in September. I am using a modified version of Higdon's novice plan. My longest run to date is 6 miles. Since I have so long to train, I'm just going up half a mile every two weeks. I am also planning on getting up to 14 miles, instead of just 10. I'm very slow, but I really would like to run the entire HM, so I want to try it ahead of time. Good luck with your training! Teresa
                      Thank you all for your replies. There are two 10 mile runs 6 and 5 weeks out, an 11 mile run three weeks out and finally a 12 mile run two weeks out. The final week has an 8 mile-rest day-6mile run-rest day-4mile run-rest day, then an optional 2mile run the day before HM. I can psychologically and even physically see the benefit of running the HM distance prior to the run, just so I know I can do it. My goal is to run the HM in under 2:30. I have done 10K in 1:05:14. I hadn't trained for it anywhere like I am training for this HM, but I also don't want to set an unreasonable goal and be disappointed.
                      Relax..... you'll be fine with this program! I am curious on the total weekly mileage in the last 4 weeks of the program. I've run many HMs throughout my 25 years of running... some with high mileage and others without. I feel the key is the weekly mileage as long as you're doing at least a few 10 milers. If you've started with a base of 20 mpw and you get your mileage up to 30 mpw for 3 or 4 weeks, you should be able to run a very comfortable HM. According to the McMillan calculator, with a 1:05 10K, you should be able to run a 2:25 HM. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm Best wishes in your half Smile Jim

Another Passion

I would think this plan's long runs are quite adequate for you in your race prep and to attain your goal. If you would want to do a longer than half long run for peace of mind instead of the twelve miler, nothing wrong with that, but it isn't necessary. Good luck! Big grin

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

JakeKnight

Try the search function - you'll find other whole threads on this. The short answer is that although some 'experts' will have you running 15-16 miles, there's no real need. On the other hand, it probably won't hurt. And some people like the psychological boost of knowing they've done it. My opinion - and its purely personal preference - is that when I'm reaching for a longer distance, I enjoy saving it for the race. I've never run 26.2 in training; thus when I reach that finish line, its something special. When I start running ultras, I don't want to run the full distance in training - just to keep it special. Some folks probably feel exactly the opposite way.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Marsha, it depends on your goals. You do not not need to run 13.1 miles in training to finish a half marathon, but if you want to improve your time then a couple longer runs maybe 2 and 4 weeks before the competition (15-16 miles) would be helpful. The key is to run them at a slower pace than you plan to run your half marathon (1 - 1:30 minutes a mile). They help make you body burn carbohydrates more efficiently and will improve your time in the half marathon. You should also have plenty of rest before and after the runs -- maybe taking the day before and after the runs off.
                              When did you run that 10K in 1:05. By your training paces you seem to have gotten faster than that. I see that you are able to run about a 10 min/miles, (unless you are racing all of your training runs which is not the best strategy). I too started running in fall of 2006 and am not remotely fast and am a back of the packer. My training runs are at 11 min/mile to 12 min/mile or slower, but my 5K race pace is about 9min/mile and my 10 mile pace is about 9:30 min/mile. Assuming a 10min/mile pace for your race you should be be able to finish your HM in 2:10 or faster, I'd bet you will be able to do it under 2:00 especially if you get in the over distances runs in.
                                Marsha, there is a half marathon user group, let me invite you to join us. Simon. (Running is all about deferred gratification.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.