Two Races (Read 177 times)

robertaajr

Have you ever ran 2 races of any kind in one day? I have three this weekend and two 5K's on Saturday. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has done this before.

Yes, but I was in HS track.  (800, 1600, 3200) But not very often.

Now days, I could possibly "participate" in more than 1 race on any given day, but I certainly couldn't and wouldn't attempt to "RACE" two races on the same day. The second race would at best be a difficult and much slower training run.

HermosaBoy

Would you count a Ragnar relay as multiple races?  I have run at least 3 legs within 24 hours at those several times.

Ran a 10k/5k double once and was happy to have the same pace for both races...

Other than that, I have run a race in the evening and then another the next morning.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, but I was in HS track.  (800, 1600, 3200) But not very often.

Now days, I could possibly "participate" in more than 1 race on any given day, but I certainly couldn't and wouldn't attempt to "RACE" two races on the same day. The second race would at best be a difficult and much slower training run.

I wonder.  If you had, say, two 5Ks in a day, it might be hard to be motivated for #2, but the morning "warmup" might result in a really fast afternoon race.  I haven't tried that, but whenever I do double run days, the second run is a good deal faster.

DigDug2

There was a local Memorial Day race this year that has a 10K at 8:00 and a 5K at 9:30, and you can race both (at a discount from two full fees) and compete against others running both for aggregate time.  I thought it was fun - made me pace the 10K more conservatively and hold something back, and I felt like I didn't have a lot of "zip" for the 5K, but it wasn't hard to give a good race effort in the 5K after recovering between the races.

There's something of a tradition around here of racing 2 or 3 or 4 local Halloween 5Ks, which are all on the same weekend day but with different start times, making it theoretically possible (with strategic planning) to make it to all of them.

There's something of a tradition around here of racing 2 or 3 or 4 local Halloween 5Ks, which are all on the same weekend day but with different start times, making it theoretically possible (with strategic planning) to make it to all of them.

Brookfield Halloween (10am), Kent Pumpkin Run (noon), New Canaan Pumpkin Chase (3pm)? I have heard of such foolishness, but never been tempted to try it.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Savannah River Bridge Run - Double Pump.

5K over the bridge then fifteen minutes later 10K twice over the bridge.

A big bridge 

steph  

DigDug2

Brookfield Halloween (10am), Kent Pumpkin Run (noon), New Canaan Pumpkin Chase (3pm)? I have heard of such foolishness, but never been tempted to try it.

Ha!  Yes, those are the ones ...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There was a local Memorial Day race this year that has a 10K at 8:00 and a 5K at 9:30, and you can race both (at a discount from two full fees) and compete against others running both for aggregate time.  I thought it was fun - made me pace the 10K more conservatively and hold something back, and I felt like I didn't have a lot of "zip" for the 5K, but it wasn't hard to give a good race effort in the 5K after recovering between the races.

I did the Double Half Mary once. It's a half marathon on Saturday and another on Sunday.  Not quite on topic, but I found pacing to be tricky, especially the first day.  Basically, I think I was too conservative the first day.  But maybe not.

Ya.  I've done 5K followed by 10K before.  5K was all out and 10K was about survival.  Fun stuff.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Aside from middle distance track races (800m, 1500m, mile, 3000m), I've run two road races in the same day only once, a 5M at 9:00 am where I paced a friend, followed by a 10K at 1:00 pm where I raced hard. While the 10K wasn't my best one that year, it wasn't my worst either.

I've had slightly better results racing two days in a row, usually both 5Ks, but I did race a 5K and 10K one weekend winning my AG in both. The 10K win was a surprise as I had intended to run it as a training run and started conservatively. when I realized I wasn't that far behind my AG competition at the 5K split, I turned up the effort.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

NHLA

Blue Ridge Relay  ultra division   6 legs in 29 hours

A friend tried to get me to run a second 5k sat  but it was 6 pm and I didn't want to drive to Asheville

kilkee

runktrun

I just did 4 5ks in 24hrs.  All about adjusting effort and tempering expectations.  Started with a 5k XC race, kinda difficult, ran hard, but didn't beat me up the same way a hard road 5k would. 6hrs later, 5k road in torrential rain; ran hard but controlled and the horrible weather made it fun.  8:00am next morning, 5k run, 15mi ride, 5k run as part of a duathlon.  Stiff warming up for the first 5k, but ran ok.  Final 5k after the bike segment was pretty awful, but still squeaked in under 20:00.  Times got progressively slower with the same effort, partially from fatigue, partially from my already busted hips getting angry :P

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

College and post college several times did the mile (or 1500) and 5000 m double. It was usually pretty brutal.

Once when I was young and didn't know better I did an early season 10K as a race, jogged for 45 minutes, and then ran the 5K at marathon pace. Total workout was about 16 miles. This was before we had Gu and such. I had a banana and some water right after the 10K and the ground was seemed to be like waves and I was seeing stars in the 5K but I finished pretty well. And to this day I think the crazy double helped with my debut marathon, which was about 5 weeks out.