2014 iWatch Thingy (Read 271 times)

Feeling the growl again

great story. but its not like you broke your arm and a week later someone realized it needed to be in a cast. You were just with different adults. People who had all these freedoms as kids like to complain online, but rarely stand up for a parent "free-range" raising their kids in the real world.

But I guess I see your point on the constant contact while running. We should probably assume the drunk driver who just hit us is going to call the cops and perform First Aide and CPR while waiting for help to arrive.

It's amazing the human species survived long enough without cell phones to invent them, isn't it?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Birdwell

What does a parent "free-range" mean?

It means you hate your kids 

CT JEFF

What does a parent "free-range" mean?

it's basically the term for letting your kids play outside, teaching them to not to get in cars with strangers and assuming that kids today can be allowed to do what we did as kids.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

#artbydmcbride

My imaginary internet child is being raised "free range"  but I don't advise it.  He/she disappears for weeks on end! 

Runners run

anyone grab a preorder Iphone last night? I grabbed the 6 off Verizon because Apple store and the APP were useless at 3:01am est.

xhristopher

anyone grab a preorder Iphone last night? I grabbed the 6 off Verizon because Apple store and the APP were useless at 3:01am est.

Unfortunately you pay more tax with verizon since somewhere in the bill they have to technically charge and tax you the full price of the phone. Apple, as the creator, only needs to tax you the 199 or whatever the "charge" is to you. That's about the only reason I buy mine from Apple.

I tried. I had the perfect plan and everything, but it went to shit when the site and APP wouldn't load. The plan was order and pick it up on my lunch run next friday at Apple Boylston St. When that fell through I just went to Verizon just to make sure I got it next Friday. Almost called you at 3:15am to go run since I couldn't get the hell back to sleep.

Unfortunately you pay more tax with verizon since somewhere in the bill they have to technically charge and tax you the full price of the phone. Apple, as the creator, only needs to tax you the 199 or whatever the "charge" is to you. That's about the only reason I buy mine from Apple.

xhristopher

It's amazing the human species survived long enough without cell phones to invent them, isn't it?

Wednesday night a car accident happened about 10 feet from me as I was running down the sidewalk. Having my phone would have been useful to call the police and fire department if the people next to me on the sidewalk weren't already doing just that with their phones.

It was kinda of a crazy scene. These two cars were the only two on a lonely and quiet stretch of road in clear and well lit conditions. One guy stopped for reasons unknown and the next plowed into him at about 35 mph, never touching the brakes (probably on his phone). He then staggered out seeming more overtaken by the airbag dust than anything. I had to duck in his car to turn it off quickly since it was oozing fluids all over.

In the end I only took photos. We probably could have knocked on a door to make a call.

xhristopher

I tried. I had the perfect plan and everything, but it went to shit when the site and APP wouldn't load. The plan was order and pick it up on my lunch run next friday at Apple Boylston St. When that fell through I just went to Verizon just to make sure I got it next Friday. Almost called you at 3:15am to go run since I couldn't get the hell back to sleep.

Damn. The lengths we go to just to hand over our money. Unfortunately my phone was on mute. You would have had to come over and knocked, extra coffee in hand.

Feeling the growl again

Wednesday night a car accident happened about 10 feet from me as I was running down the sidewalk. Having my phone would have been useful to call the police and fire department if the people next to me on the sidewalk weren't already doing just that with their phones.

It was kinda of a crazy scene. These two cars were the only two on a lonely and quiet stretch of road in clear and well lit conditions. One guy stopped for reasons unknown and the next plowed into him at about 35 mph, never touching the brakes (probably on his phone). He then staggered out seeming more overtaken by the airbag dust than anything. I had to duck in his car to turn it off quickly since it was oozing fluids all over.

In the end I only took photos. We probably could have knocked on a door to make a call.

Well that was kind of my point...sure they're nice but people who can't disconnect cause a ton of problems too.  I almost rear-ended a woman on my lunch run yesterday because she came to a sudden dead stop to text on her iPhone and dodged a couple distracted drivers on the freeway going home too.  Rear end, no-brake collisions seem to be becoming way more common.  I'm 90% sure the woman who totaled my car last winter was on the phone.

I wasn't so much replying to the desire/need to carry a phone anyways, it's a personal preference thing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

anyone grab a preorder Iphone last night? I grabbed the 6 off Verizon because Apple store and the APP were useless at 3:01am est

I still have to figure out what to do about the one month remaining on my Verizon contract. Looks like their new Edge plan is a ripoff. Considering switching back to AT&T and just eating the last month's bill. Verizon doesn't seem to have an easy way for me to just do that and stay with them.

I did get a "reserved iPhone" in the Apple Store app last night, but I'm not sure what to do with that given the Verizon situation.

xhristopher

Well that was kind of my point...sure they're nice but people who can't disconnect cause a ton of problems too.  I almost rear-ended a woman on my lunch run yesterday because she came to a sudden dead stop to text on her iPhone and dodged a couple distracted driver on the freeway going home too.  Rear end, no-brake collisions seem to be becoming way more common.  I'm 90% sure the woman who totaled my car last winter was on the phone.

I wasn't so much replying to the desire/need to carry a phone anyways, it's a personal preference thing.

I admit that I completely made up the "(probably on his phone)" part. Perhaps his brakes failed or he was digging out his favorite mixed tape from the glove box.

Dorks! Giant flaming dorks!

bhearn

Kalsarikännit

Dorks! Giant flaming dorks!

+1  It's almost as if they enjoy being beat up after class.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart