How should I run a one mile race? (Read 153 times)

Emmie Lou

So I am new here, and I actually joined because I wanted the answer to this question. I am racing one of my best friends on the mile. Now this wont be on a track, it will be on a dirt road. He is a year older than me. And he is a boy. I am a girl, I ran track this past spring, so I know that this is a huge disadvantage to me. The race is in a week. I have never ran a mile race. I was a sprinter in track and always ran the 200m. I have no clue how to run the mile. Right now my plan is too pace myself to him, until the last 400m or so, and than kick it in and sprint. I am hoping to catch him off guard and get a little head start on the sprinting. Right now my time mile time was 7:50 and the last I heard his was 7;05, but that was five weeks ago. I have no idea what either our times are now.

Why are you doing this?  Are both your mile times best efforts? If so, realize that a 50s diff is huge.

if you think you can outkick him, then I'd just sit on  his heels until about 200 or 300 to go then try to make a move. Then, be ready to go all out the last 100.

It's important to be really warmed up before the race. Be sure to have done some fast running so your system isn't in shock the first 200 to 300m.

No more marathons

BoilerTom90 - agree with this advice.

A true  race is much different from most "races" where most of us are not competing for a win, but rather for our best time.

Stick on his shoulder as long as you can and then let he/she with the most speed at the end, win.

The danger with this strategy is that he goes out way too fast and burns both of you up in the first 400.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

A good warmup is really important for any short race as you no doubt know from your track background. The mile takes practice to get right.  Practice running the mile or atleast about 1200-1400m at a hard pace once before your race and see what effort you can hold an what kind of kick you'll have left after running hard for 5/6 minutes.

This is what our group used to do for our mile Time Trial a while ago. 10 min warmup jog, 10 min of drills (high knees, butt kicks, bounding etc) to really get loose, finish up the warmup about 5 minutes before your race.  Finish like you are about to die, a collapse just after the line would be perfect.  Easier said than done. Good luck

P.S If you do decide to practice, make sure you leave 2-3 days to recover before the race

Why is it sideways?

Your only and best strategy is to sit right on his shoulder. You should be breathing into his right ear. Do not think. Or better: your only thought is that you won't let any gap open, and that he is doing all the work. Just sit tight and stay as relaxed as possible while not letting a gap open.

Just sit there, one lap, two laps, three laps, and all the way around on the 4th lap. DO NOT KICK TOO EARLY. Wait, wait, wait, until it is almost too late.

With ~40m to go sprint by him before he has time to react. If you can, it is always good to take a brief look to your left as you pass, so you don't miss the precise moment when you own his soul.

Good luck.

HermosaBoy

With ~40m to go sprint by him before he has time to react. If you can, it is always good to take a brief look to your left as you pass, so you don't miss the precise moment when you own his soul.

Good luck.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob