Mississippi's Lehigh Valley Marathon Report (Read 946 times)

fantastic, what training plan have you been following for the marathon? Becasue it is one of the things I want to do.
    Training plan? What's that? Sorry, seriously - I think I lack the attention span to follow a training plan. I've been just tagging along with Pam and Tim. I definitely did not train well for a marathon. With having just 3 long runs (more than 15 miles) done prior to the marathon I think that I really did short myself on being prepared. I should have followed a training plan but I didn't. Yesterday at the 20 mile point after running a few steps past that I was excited and said to Pam, "this is officially the furthest I've ever run in my life!!".

Michelle

Great work...
        Congratulations Michelle! You did awesome! Did you take an ice bath afterwards? That really helps you cut down on the inflamation and soreness the week or so after the race. I feel like I have a fever afterwards too, and I think that's due to dehydration. Drink lots of chicken soup or whatever liquids you can down and you'll feel better in no time. Oh, walk down the stairs backwards. It's much less painful! There were times when my quads were literally sore to the gentlest of touches, but that was my badge of honor and I would trade that for anything in the world. Awesome trophies too! What a great achievement for your FIRST marathon! Congratulations!
        Thank you! No ice bath. I was being stubborn and refusing to let how much pain I was in really show (to my running un-supportive husband). I've been drinking lots of water and milk, and grape juice. My legs are sensitive, in fact they feel hot to touch on some parts of my quads. I can't wait to run though, I think that will do me a world of good. I'm happy with my time (although I really did want under 4 hours). I'm shocked about placing in my AG, and that really does add a lot to my first time experience. It almost adds that curiousity to see how well I could do if I trained a little better. Smile

Michelle

awesome job everyone on a particularily warm day. sweet! when's the next one?
          When's yours? Tongue How was your Tri on Sunday???

Michelle

Congrats Michelle. First marathon is special.
            Thank you! And it was special. I learned a lot yesterday.

Michelle

Hey girls, I wrote you this elsewhere Wink but I just wanted to reiterate, great job and I am so taken by your friendship. I think it's amazing to have this. Thanks for letting us all be a part of your first marathon experience. You did well and without those pains I know you'll do amazing if you want to do another marathon. Pam you're a great friend to M and I am just so proud of both of you! hugs! Jen
              Thank you Jen! And yes, Pam is great, she's completely supportive and understanding. She was very good at keeping me realistic and even after I attempted to push forward on my own and quickly burnt out, she not once said "told you so"!! Tongue Running without all the little issues would have been nice. It does make me wonder how it would be without them. Hmmmmm. Something to consider for another life time.

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

When's yours? Tongue How was your Tri on Sunday???
                not so good. my first DNF ended up puking on the bike then later started to overheat/dehydrate. maybe I should stick w/ running?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

not so good. my first DNF ended up puking on the bike then later started to overheat/dehydrate. maybe I should stick w/ running?
                  OH, wow. Sorry to hear that. WOW. How are you feeling today?

Michelle

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

My legs are sensitive, in fact they feel hot to touch on some parts of my quads. I can't wait to run though, I think that will do me a world of good.
                    Mine were hot to the touch too, which is why you should take an ice bath. It'll hurt for several days, and the only time it will really bother you is when you're walking down steps. If you don't mind taking drugs, ibuprofen will help reduce the inflamation and cut down the pain. I didn't want to bring up the subject of your husband, but since you did, what did he think of your achievement? He better be proud!
                      Great Job, Michelle. Loved your report, too!
                      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

The voice of mile 18

OH, wow. Sorry to hear that. WOW. How are you feeling today?
                        like I need to run a faster 5k by then the end of this year.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Mississippi, thanks for giving us a report. Sounds like you all had great finishes. Perhaps I'll give one of these marathon races a go in 2008. I hate stomach issues! Evil grin How hot was it? What was your focus when it came to hydration? Good to know there was a Tim around to take photos. Cool I'll have to check them out later. ********************************************************** Did rockenmamof5 get an award for best abs?

Vim

I didn't want to bring up the subject of your husband, but since you did, what did he think of your achievement? He better be proud!
                            He didn't ask how I did. Sad

Michelle

like I need to run a faster 5k by then the end of this year.
                              Me too!

Michelle

OOPS I skipped over part of your report... disregard the hydration question!

Vim