How do YOU do it? (Read 1085 times)

she runs like a girl

Rotating shoes.

What's the best way to do it to get the most life out of your shoes?

rotate daily? every third day? weekly?

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

an amazing likeness

Here's how I do it.... I have 3 or 4 pair in rotation, each progressively older and higher milage. I use the oldest for the shortest runs, or for wet days...just stretching them to end-of-life.  Then I generally mix the other three evenly, just grabbing the next pair, the next day.  Some days I just feel like using a certain color, so I take them and screw the rotation.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Rotating shoes.

What's the best way to do it to get the most life out of your shoes?

rotate daily? every third day? weekly?

I just wear them until they fall apart.  Some have been at 600-700miles, my last pair was at ~4,000 (that pair lasted me for over 10 years, as I wasn't running much at the time). 

mikeymike

It totally doesn't matter.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

The only reason I rotate shoes is so they have enough time to dry out between runs.  Two pair usually does the trick.  As far as getting life out of them I have to agree with Mikey.  I don't think it makes a difference, at least nothing of significance.

Not at it at all. 

Here's how I do it.... I have 3 or 4 pair in rotation, each progressively older and higher milage. I use the oldest for the shortest runs, or for wet days...just stretching them to end-of-life.  Then I generally mix the other three evenly, just grabbing the next pair, the next day.  Some days I just feel like using a certain color, so I take them and screw the rotation.

Pretty nuch what Milk said is pretty much how I do it..........and I have one pair I purchased recently and broke them in (50 miles) and now wear them only for races.......   And i have one pair that i dont like much but wear them on Tread Mill days (so currently I am running in 6 pairs of shoes).....

Wife and kids think I have a shoe feddish............

Champions are made when no one is watching

The only reason I rotate shoes is so they have enough time to dry out between runs.  Two pair usually does the trick.  As far as getting life out of them I have to agree with Mikey.  I don't think it makes a difference, at least nothing of significance.

I'm usually rotating two or three at time. I agree with both of them as far as getting life out of them. I also rotate mainly to allow a given pair to dry out. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I don't rotate. I wear the same pair until I feel like I need to switch.
                  dennrunner

Same as the other's said:  For extending the life of the shoe, it doesn't matter.

However, I keep several shoes in rotation for mainly two reasons:

1. It's keeps me from becoming too attached to one particular shoe which will undoubtedly be discontinued or revised within a year or two.

2. It helps me keep niggles away because each shoe model/brand fits and performs slightly differently, so the stresses on my body are slightly different.

have only one pair, wear them until they fall apart.  Somewhere between 800-1500miles.
                        I was into rotating, but didn't notice a difference.  I will switch to flats for speed work or for specific training, but that's about it. If you like a particular model and its still wet from the rain run the day before, well, it can be bothersome to have to revert back to an older pair. In this case, having a back up is nice. That's about it, though.

she runs like a girl

This is what I figured. I have two pairs - Both Asics (Nimbus 11 and cumulus 10) and then I have flats for speed work but I've just been kind of randomly using them based mostly on colour.

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                          ymmv

I run daily and rotate between several shoes, mainly to let them dry out. When they get really wet, I remove the footpads and stuff with newspaper.

I like to vary my shoes somewhat, I mostly use kayanos for long runs, but also rotate in nimbus, landreth, and ds trainers. I like to rotate in a neutral shoe, like the nimbus, or a lighter, less structured shoe, hoping that as i run more my form will improve and i won't need as much stability. i also spend all my time at home either barefoot or in socks. i think that helps keep my feet strong and the floors clean. i know that the latter works, as my floors are cleaner than the bottoms of my socks.

I don't rotate. I wear the same pair until I feel like I need to switch.

I think I remember that your shoes got drenched during some treadmill workouts.  Do you do something to speed up the drying process?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I think I remember that your shoes got drenched during some treadmill workouts.  Do you do something to speed up the drying process?

I take out the orthotics (gasp, I wear orthotics), and then put them in a well ventilated area. The shoes and orthotics are always dry by the next morning. 

It happned again today -- the last 6 miles of my 16 miler were on a TM. Wha ta sweaty pig I am....