Scaring pedestrians... (Read 805 times)

I run at night. At least once a month I scare the bejeezus out of some poor pedestrian as I come running up from behind them. I live in a well populated town with quiet neighborhood steets & busy main roads with sidewalks. When I come up from behind some walker I try to give them a wide berth but, it's not always practical. Sometimes I'll try saying a loud "excuse me" as I get close but, that seems to startle people pretty badly too. Two nights ago I scared an elderly woman out walking her dog (lousy watchdog), she laughed about it but, what if she had a heart attack? The teenage girl a couple of weeks ago out walking with her friend let out an actual scream. I was kind of mortified but, as a father I thought she ought to be a little more aware of her surroundings. Do any other night runner deal with this kind of thing? What do you do?
      I try to give warning, but I've scared the crap out of people, too. An apology seems to do it.
      mikeymike

I usually drag my feet 50 yards behind them, but yeah sometimes people are out to lunch or wearing an iPod and you scare the crap out of them. Nothing you can do.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm forever scaring people...it's kind of amusing, since I don't think I run particularly quietly. I always feel bad when I do it, but they need to turn on their "listening ears." Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I don't worry about it; if they are so oblivious to their surroundings that they are frightened then that is their problem and not mine. That being said, I don't go out of my way to run quietly or to scare them, I just don't worry about it one way or the other. As with other runners, before I pass them I will usually say "on your left" or something similar.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I'm forever scaring people...it's kind of amusing, since I don't think I run particularly quietly. I always feel bad when I do it, but they need to turn on their "listening ears." Evil grin
              Really.
              And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'm forever being scared by people coming up behind me (chronically "out to lunch"). Apologize if you want to, but I'd say don't sweat it.
                  Mostly, I feel bad about scaring the elderly. The young, I figure it's an object lesson. The very unstable drunk guy who fell down in front of a church (who might've been actually trying to take a swing at me) I'd like to think had an epiphany.
                  Hannibal Granite

If they are so oblivious they can't here you coming then that is on them not you. If you scare an old lady so badly that she has a heart attack then it was clearly her time to go and if it had't been you it would've been something else in the very near future. One very cold winter day when I was in high school I was out running and because it was about 20 degrees out I was wearing a facemask. As I passed an elderly lady who was carrying groceries she got startled and slipped on a patch of ice dropping her groceries. I immediately stopped and apologized for frightening her and offered to help her up and started picking up one of her bags, she yelled "NO, NO go away" as apparently she thought I was trying to mug her, when I was actually tryingn to help her. Since I was wearing a facemask I guess I can understand why she thought that, but seriously who tries to mug an old lady in the middle of the day when it is 20 degrees outside? Of course she probably thought who the hell would be out running in this weather? Of course, if she had let me help her I probably would've carried her groceries home for her. Anyway, my point is you can't control other peoples reactions to your running, and as long as you are just doing your own thing and aren't going out of your way to scare someone you have nothing to feel bad about.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Imminent Catastrophe

Bells on your shoes will fix that problem. It works with bears.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I try to remember to cough or make some kind of noise, but it doesn't always work. My favorite is when I'm doing track work, early in the morning on a dark track. There are often a couple of walkers there who I seem to scare the bejeezus out of the first time I blow by them. I just say sorry and they're fine after that.
                        Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!
                          i always get scared by bikers or other runners. im constantly looking back. its a little embarassing but whatever. ii think its funny.
                          Goals: Run.

Feeling the growl again

Bells on your shoes will fix that problem. It works with bears.
                            How do you tell the difference between black bear poop and grizzly bear poop? Black bear poop has little berries in it. Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I usually say "on your left" so one it lets people know which side I'm on and that I'm a comming!
                              -Jen
                              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                                Make a game out of it and try and give surprise wedgies. No real advice here. Aside from the guy in his skivvies the otehr day, nobody's dumb enough to be out walking at 5 in the morning in my neck of the woods.
                                Jenny