Just starting out. (Read 744 times)

My Hero

Hello: I am a dog and I have started to run with my best friend. I am a mix of three breeds. German Shepard, Beagle, and Collie. Don't ask, I don't know how that stuff works. I think I am more German Shepard then anything else. I weigh 74 pounds these days and thought it would be a good idea to lose some weight. Well that is what mean vet says. Anyway, my best friend thought running might do the trick. So we have started running together. My goal is to run 600 miles this year. My best friend runs a lot and knows what to do for him but he has trouble answering any of my questions. Yesterday we went for a run and it was about 44 outside. I felt very sluggish. We had been running in 20 degree weather and all was fine. Do you think it is because I am just starting out with the running thing or do you think the temperature had more to do with it? I don't actually run but do more of a fast walk. My other best friend was running with me for a couple of miles at an 11 minute pace and now this guy is running me at a 9 minute pace for 4 miles. Like I said earlier when it was 20 degrees the pace and distance seemed okay. It is hard to notice because I am always running with my tongue hanging out. Smile Any suggestions or ideas on which might be my problem or what sort of running plan I should be using? I searched the internet but they did not have any training plans for meSad Do you think there are any limits on how far I should be able to run? Has a dog ever run a marathon?
    2009 Goal - Run 600 miles. Weigh 65 pounds
      I'm sorry, I really want to help, but all I hear is some barking sound.
      2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
        I think if you were a sled dog or some hunting dog bred to run after prey you would be better at running. I don't think it is wise for you to think about running a marathon, too far, but I am no expert on dogs!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

an amazing likeness

Rocket, Some days you got "it" and some days you don't. I mean a tough night dreaming about actually catching the damn squirrels can lead to a lot of leg twitching, which we all know leaves you dragging the next morning. Sometimes you're just wantin' to stop and drop a deuce and your darn human is on some vision quest to keep going...that just bums you out...who wants to HTFU when that happens, geez. Given all those black labs that we see running when its much warmer than 40, I imagine you weren't really struggling with the temp change as much as desire. Give your owner some hints that it a pain to loose weight and add mileage...let them know that a little treat or two at the end will go along to boosting your enthusiasm. And, I know you wouldn't fall for anything as silly and juvenile as this, but don't let them pull that old ball/toy/live squirrel in their pocket trick to make you really pick it up. Take heart old friend, last Sunday I saw one of the neighborhood show-offs coming back from his Sunday long run -- the one where he usually wears a backpack, just to show he's all Mr. Outdoorsy trail dog and carries stuff and all -- and his human was wearing his backpack. Guess he couldn't "tote the load", as we say under our doggy breath. I'm telling you, man, when you can get them to carry the bag-o-poop, your ball, and your trail backpack, that is impressive. Tail sniffs to ya bro.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

My Hero

Yeah I have no real interest in ever running a marathon. Even with four legs I think you guys are crazy for even thinking about running that far. Don't humans have those things with the big black circle things to get them from point A to point B? I was just curious though on what my limits might be or if a dog ever had actually run a marathon or not. No interest myself whatsoever on doing it myself.

an amazing likeness

Rocket, Black lab up the street, show-off that he is, runs 12 - 18 miles most Sundays. And...he's a lab...you know, built for swimming, brain the size of a walnut -- not a Whippet or something. You've got guard dog, field dog and braying beagle in you man -- you were born for running, with Teutonic precision, so strap on your GPS and go. You've got a marathon in you no problem, or at least what would seem like a marathon to your humans.

My Hero

I should have known someone named MilkTruck would answer some of my questions. Those stupid squirrel dreams and after watching that Cats and Dogs show give me some restless nights. However, even with those bad nights I spend most of my day sleeping so I should be pretty rested up. I'm only three years old. I should be able to run right? Does it really matter what breed I am. I think you might be on to something with the doggie treats (scoobie snacks!). Do you think I can eat and run at the same time? I'm a little worried I might get sick. Getting a doggie treat every mile would be sweet Big grin I thought I had the doggie pop thing solved on Sunday as I dropped a duece in the yard but then on the run I went again. My friend had to carry the bag for awhile but then through at some other guys door. Something about that guy being a jerk. Whatever, I figured it wasn't my problem and I try to help a friend out when I can. Just kidding of course, well about throwing it at someone's door. He is a nice guy, he would never make me wear a trailpack. I feel bad when he has to pick up what I leave behind. Why do you humans even care about picking it up anyway? Won't it become fertilizer or something?

My Hero

Rocket, You've got guard dog, field dog and braying beagle in you man -- you were born for running, with Teutonic precision, so strap on your GPS and go.
                  I looked up Teutonic and I still don't know what in cat blazes you are talking about. Are you saying I am like a Kenyan and made to run or are you just messing with me saying that I should just keep my lazy butt on my doggie pillow and watch that lab run up the street? 12-18 miles really? That can't be good right?

My Hero

I'm sorry, I really want to help, but all I hear is some barking sound.
                    It is okay. This is what I expect from a guy taking a picture of himself in a mirror. Give me paw on that one baby! Evil grin

an amazing likeness

I looked up Teutonic and I still don't know what in cat blazes you are talking about. Are you saying I am like a Kenyan and made to run or are you just messing with me saying that I should just keep my lazy butt on my doggie pillow and watch that lab run up the street?
                      Rocket, Teutonism - the German character or way of life. You know, precision engineering, organized, Dieter-from-Sprockets. As in no lazy field runs bouncing through the heather and lupin will do for you. With your heritage you will want to be out there running 6.3 miles at a precise pace per plan. My advice, just run Rocket, just run. Like every other dog I've known, I'm sure you'll just stop and not go any further when you've had it for the day -- meanwhile, here's some softcore stuff for you to dream about in your afternoon snooze...

MrH

Sorry I can't help with any advice. I only have a goldfish and when I take him out for exercise he doesn't run, he just does crunches.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

It is okay. This is what I expect from a guy taking a picture of himself in a mirror. Give me paw on that one baby! Evil grin
                          How else am I going to have a picture of myself? =( Oops, I mean....What?
                          2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.

Maggie & Molly

Listen, tell your human that just like when s/he was starting out you need to get a base and work from there. Some nice water along the way wouldn't hurt either. It is pretty easy to learn to drink from a bottle. (Iinto the mouth at an angle) Then tell your human that if you are really tired and try to stop - that they should listen and stop. Maybe short loops around the neighborhood so you can go lay down when you've had enough. Now go run and have some fun....

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                            Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Man in Tights

I don't know about a Marathon, but you certainly are the first dog to use runningahead.com

My Hero

Well I thought it would be a good idea to log my runs at RA since my best friend does as well. The girl beagle down the road wanted me to use runnersworld but I dumped that b*@#h for saying something stupid like that. Dogs side with best friends always, were not mans best friend for no reason. I wanted to say thanks for all of the comments. My running partner read some of them and gave me a doggie treat afterwards. Ummm YUMMY.