What's a polite way to refer to a snot rocket? (Read 1867 times)

JakeKnight

Maybe "Booger Bazooka" would work better? Big grin
    That's awesome. I'd go with that. You ought to at least include a list of terminology. For reference purposes.
    Maybe you could describe the technique in case someone is plugged up and can't breathe through their nose and has no idea of how to dislodge the honker cement.
    It sounds silly, but that's not a bad idea. It's surprisingly hard to do your first time, and its a handy trick. I had to teach my lady how to do it ... and it was both funny and sad. Funny part is, this is the stuff that most running books leave out that's generally much more useful than what they keep. Beginner's don't need to know about their VO2 max or lactate threshold ... but tipping them off about how to do a snot rocket, or about the wisdom of bringing some toilet paper to your first big city marathon ... that's useful.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

"Snot Rocket" is easily the best potential band name of the last decade.
      Steve Boyett
      Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
      Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!

Maybe "Booger Bazooka" would work better? Big grin
        Heh, I hadn't heard that one before. What I did was take two non-related and non-running ahead folks (1 a runner, 1 not a runner) and pointed them to this thread, and both said that they had no problem w/the term but that they thought that blowing your nose worked better anyway, so that's the direction that I went. I just put a PDF up of the introduction if anybody has an interest in reading 2 pages of the book. I was thinking of putting a chapter out, but I couldn't decide which one and I'm getting tired so I stuck to the introduction for right now.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

That's awesome. I'd go with that. You ought to at least include a list of terminology. For reference purposes.
          I ran out of time and haven't written it yet, but I plan on putting a reference together with a runner's terminology that is geared towards newbies and spouses. That project got put on hold until after the book is launched, though.

Run to Win

I have also heard it called "farmer blow".
              I've always used "snocket."

Why is it sideways?

... its a handy trick...
                Yes, indeed. Edward Abbey once wrote that all bodily excretions are pleasurable, but I'd say few are as pleasing as a well-snorted snot-rocket executed in full stride.
                UpNorth

Trent -- that picture made me feel a bit ill Dead OK, well then, off to lunch now. I guess it'll be a low-cal day for me Tongue

Into the wild

I'm doing the final edits on my book, and my wife has a note that I should change the following phrase: "If you need to spit or blow a snot rocket, then make sure there is nobody around you or that you are on the side of the course. Pay attention to the wind; it can make it hard to miss people sometimes, including yourself." Help me out - how do you suggest that I word that?
                    Hey Blaine, I reckon you need to use clear instead of blow. (If you need to spit or blow your nose," should cover it) This way you distance yourself the goo somewhat and focus on the problem/solution. Just my .02 centimes Smile

Shut up and run

Hey Blaine, I reckon you need to use clear instead of blow.
                      Good point. Thanks! You know, if that one paragraph can generate this much discussion, I guess that the book itself is going to do pretty darn well when I start selling it tomorrow...

Run to Win

Clear is a good one. If this is an electronic book.... my first searches would be for bm and evacuate... as those are very important terms when it comes to running.

Vim

Into the wild

Oh, and thanks a bunch for that picture...I don't know why but it popped into my head at the dinner table and things justs didn't taste the same any more... Tight lipped Maybe I should print it and fridge magnet it to help stop snacking Clowning around

Shut up and run

May be too late... but how about... Rapid evacuation of the nasal cavity.
                            Kenotic Runner

I hit my own shoe yesterday. That stunk. I think I need to buy the book to learn better technique. Are there going to be illustrations on this just like the perfuctory ones on stretches?
                              CherryDG

I reckon you need to use clear instead of blow.
                                I agree with Johnny Franglais on this one. I'm a technical writer (for software, but this is MUCH more interesting) and I have to be careful in my choice of words especially if the audience includes readers outside of the U.S. Sometimes terms/phrases we use in the U.S. aren't easily understood in other countries. Heck, this site was the first time I had heard of the phrase "farmer's blow" and I live in VA. Smile