Do You Parkrun? (Read 165 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Free, timed, 5K races every Saturday. Seems to be quite a long list of countries and cities that hold these races.

So let me toss it out here on RA.

Do you parkrun? Where is your home course?

MTA: https://www.parkrun.com/countries/

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

From the Internet.

Not every week, but I frequent mine as often as I can! JPparkrun in Boston!

It's been around here for a while but I did not discover it till relatively recently. It's way on the other side of town, farther than I would normally go for a 5k, but ends up not being a bad trip on a Saturday morning. I highly recommend it! Races have just gotten so crazy expensive, and for a 5k I don't really care so much about medals, shirts, food, or entertainment. I've done it twice now; ends up being a pretty small field, but a pretty wide range of faster & slower people. Plus the course is completely flat, and in fact got me my PR and first sub-20 time a few months ago. I like that it's always there as an option when I want to fit a 5k into my schedule. They just added another location (3rd in the area) that's a bit closer to me, so I'll have to give that one a try.

Dave

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Disappointingly, there are none local to me.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

I didn't realize this, but there's a Parkrun at Crissy Field in San Francisco every Saturday (I just looked it up).  They're getting one organized in Silicon Valley too, supposed to start in September.  Both are little far to go for a 5k but it could be fun if I've got something else to do in the area that day.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I live in Brighton UK and there are 6 Parkruns that I know of within a 10 mile radius and all well attended. I always make a donation on the website when I race one.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mr MattM

I'd not heard of that... what a cool idea.  Sadly, nothing where I live...

be curious; not judgmental

Cyberic

There is one in Montreal that I know of. Never participated in it. 5K is not a distance I like to race. But I think it is an awesome idea, and maybe I will race it some day.

There's plenty here in New Zealand. No matter what city you go to, you can take your little barcode card with you and they scan it at the finish.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

I recommend Crissy Field. It’s far but parking is surprisingly easy on a Saturday at 8:30am and makes for a good morning outing to the city. I’m looking forward to the Palo Alto one as well. I’m overdo for a parkrun!

I didn't realize this, but there's a Parkrun at Crissy Field in San Francisco every Saturday (I just looked it up).  They're getting one organized in Silicon Valley too, supposed to start in September.  Both are little far to go for a 5k but it could be fun if I've got something else to do in the area that day.

Marky_Mark_17

Not often, but Hobsonville Point (New Zealand) parkrun is about 5km from my house. Nice course in one of my favourite running spots.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I may try it in the fall.  For now, the closest is over a ½ hour away and they don't start until 9:00, so I'd be pretty much devoting my Saturday morning to it, though that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it will often conflict with family activities.

Straight out and back, so a hard 180º turnaround, which is not my favorite thing to do, especially at 5k pace.  Still, for fun it's worth it.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

sophiaK

Any parkrun recommendations in NY city? Thank you.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My home run is Wascana Parkrun which set a new Canadian record yesterday for the most participants at 253. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

I recently started running the ParkRun in Durham, NC.  Currently, it's the only one in NC.   There were some efforts to start one in the Raleigh, NC area about six years ago but apparently it didn't get off the ground.

It's only 15 minutes away from me and it has a great location.  The last couple of runs, there were more than 75 runners.  A lot of people associated with the local Fleet Feet stores local runs, a couple of local running clubs, and people who just want to get out and run.  I usually run alone, but this is a nice change of pace.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335