magazine (Read 870 times)

Running Times or Runners World. I've read both and I used to have a subscription to RW. I'm ready to start reading again now that I have the time and I just can't make up my mind. Whichone do you prefer and why?
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      Bite the bullet and go buy both this month; read them both and YOU decide which one YOU like. They both have goods and bads and it'll come down to personal preference. I don't subscribe either of them. I go check out what articles they have and buy them at the book store. I have bought both in the same month; there's also a time I don't buy neither.
      JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

VictorN

I have to say, I find little of value in either magazine. You are better off with a good book. Pick up a copy of Danies, Pfitzinger, or read some old Lydiard books. RW is especially bad with its "Top 10 ways to do this", or "12 ways to do that". Victor
            I enjoy Jogger's World (i.e. RW) even though it is filled with fluff. I like the ads and I'm a fast reader, so it's no big deal if some of my time is wasted. As they say, "take what you need and leave the rest". I do spend a lot of time online on running forums, too. Running Times is the more serious publication, and I pick it up occasionally, especially for Benson's articles.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Half Fanatic #846

I've suscribed to both. Considering they each have their share of pros and cons, the only difference I can really think of is that RW has about 40 more pages per issue of whatever to read/peruse/skip. I'm thinking of giving "Marathon & Beyond" a try instead. Undecided Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I'm thinking of giving "Marathon & Beyond" a try instead.
                Good idea.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm thinking of giving "Marathon & Beyond" a try instead
                  Second the motion! http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/ I would add that the March issue of RW is pretty awesome too, at your newsstands now Smile (see especially page 117)
                    I get both and they both have their pluses and minuses... I like Runner's World in the since that it's a little longer, and has more "how to" type stuff. But, at the same time, there's a lot of fluff in there. Sometimes it seems like they try to make every issue so that a complete non-runner could pick it up and get something out of it. It gets a little old when it's the same stuff month after month. Running Times is great because it actually follows the world of professional running. A lot of race reports and more up-to-date coverage about what's going on with the pros. They also get a little more technical with their help sections. More science involved. I haven't read Marathon and Beyond before. What's it like?
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I haven't read Marathon and Beyond before. What's it like?
                      Go to the website, linked above. Check out several of the editor's favorites. That will give you an idea. M&B is incredibly in-depth, takes a month or two to get through, is written like a book and usually I keep my issues after I am done. Very good. Written for relatively experienced runners, but with plenty of good stuff for new folks as well. They also reprint famous running novels as serials, a couple chapters at a time. Right now they are printing Flannagan's Run, good stuff!
                      invisible

With a subscription, RW costs about $2.25 an issue. Can you buy a coffee at Starbucks for that? It's good throne/bathtub reading and if you can learn a couple of things a year from it, it's worth it. My 20 push-ups before a run, came from Tips From The Top.
                        90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the link, Trent. It was cool to read your article! I'm sure there are a lot of other new RA folks, like me, who didn't know you'd started a marathon! Wow. Teresa
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

jeffdonahue

I thought I read the other day that Runners World just bought Running Times.

Hoodoo Guru

Thanks for the link, Trent. It was cool to read your article! I'm sure there are a lot of other new RA folks, like me, who didn't know you'd started a marathon! Wow. Teresa
                              And he finished it too. Big grin

The tangents are moot.