Is It Okay To Run In A Cemetary? (Read 2197 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

The America's Finest City Half Marathon in San Diego runs down a road that splits the Fort Rosecrans Cemetary. Both of my Grandparent's ashes are in the wall that we run past. I always touch the wall as I pass and tell them that I love them. The last few years I have run it I have seen people stop for a moment at a grave site. I say, if it is okay with the people who work there: Run it, respect it and reflect on it. aim
    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=1195001111
      Looks really cool. Sort of like running through a cemetery, actually. Here's the official site: http://www.battlefieldmarathon.com/course.html Wanna run it with me this year as a warm up for the Monkey? I do need Georgia ...
      Maybe. I did not know they had their own website. They usually use the Chattanooga Track Club site. Cool beans! I ran this a couple years ago. It is a good marathon with a great postrace spread. Along the course, they have been known to run out of fluids. It is a rolling sort of course. MTA: Doh! I will be in DC that weekend.
        Rental coffins. Or caskets? What's the difference between a casket and a coffin?
        Coffins are barely ever used anymore (in the US, at least). Coffins are six-sided and anthropoid shaped (wide at shoulders, narrow at head and feet). This is why they used to say that undertakers would "size you up." Undertakers used to also (some still do) own furniture stores or cabinet making businesses. You would be measured and a coffin would be made by the undertaker to fit you and your proportions exactly, taking into account your height and the width of your shoulders. Caskets are the modern day generally more "mass-produced" version of a burial box...four sided rectangular wood, laminate, metal, steel, copper, or bronze. Some have gaskets and some don't. I just had someone work with me to make their own casket...it was the most incredible piece of functional artwork I have ever seen. So, the take-home message is: don't call a casket a coffin...they are different things! What's the next question? Here's your chance to ask 'em if you've got 'em...

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

xor

Coffins are the thingies you see in old westerns. (modified to remove redundancy) <tangent> Which reminds me of my pet peeve in Tombstone. The seemingly glass topped coffins that the Thomas Hayden Church character and his unlucky buddies get buried in after the OK corral shootout. I think the tops are just supposed to be "off", but they look like they are clear and why would they transport them with tops off anyway? Glass tops? What? </tangent> (another hallmark of comet threads. Tangents.)

JakeKnight

See? So educational. Like PBS. But with more commercials. So if I get hit by a bus this afternoon I'll get stuck in a casket, but my scary hexagonal looking Halloween decorations are actually coffins. I always thought the words meant the same thing. Okay, easy question first: how'd you decide to go into mortuaryishness? (I assume that's the technical term). Or maybe since you're second generation, I should ask how your mom or dad went into it? Now a better but open-ended question: tell us some cool stories. You must have some great stories. Some strange things must happen in your line of work.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

JakeKnight

MTA: Doh! I will be in DC that weekend.
              You don't have to make up phony excuses. A polite "no thanks" would have sufficed. I'm still waiting for your next Tupelo excuse to pop up. You don't like me, do you?

A Saucy Wench

Remember, a funeral and/or celebrations after death are for the living. Consider the needs of those you leave behind. Some people need to view a body to accept the reality of a death...others would not need that. Cremation is just substitution for earth burial. So, if you think your family does not need to view you and you do not want to be viewed, you need to say "I want to be cremated with no viewing" or "I want to be cremated after viewing" or "I want to be shown in a rental casket or cremation casket and then cremated." Basically, be specific because otherwise you won't get what you want!)
                Thats the truth. DH and I both want to be cremated. But he has already said that if his mom is still living then bury him.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

You don't like me, do you?
                  Wow that is just opening yourself up

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Okay, easy question first: how'd you decide to go into mortuaryishness? (I assume that's the technical term). Or maybe since you're second generation, I should ask how your mom or dad went into it? Now a better but open-ended question: tell us some cool stories. You must have some great stories. Some strange things must happen in your line of work.
                    Long answer to first question: I avoided thinking about funeral service as a career...didn't want to do it because every time we got to do something fun as a family when I was a kid, the phone would ring, and Dad would have to go to work. "To help people," he always said. I didn't want that inconsistency and dissappointment for my future family. So, I got my bachelor's in biology with a double major in natural science/minor in chemistry. Then, I did a semester of grad school for a doctorate in pharmacy...hated it and decided to get out while I was ahead after just one semester. Then, I started thinking about working with dad, tried it, and loved it! I then went to mortuary school and did my apprenticeship and my internship. My dad is an expert embalmer and specializes in reconstruction of difficult cases, so I am so lucky to have learned from him! Answer to 2nd question: I've got some good ones. I will think about which ones to share and post soon...with names changed to protect the innocent. As a teaser, I had voices coming from a casket during a Catholic Mass once...

JakeKnight

Wow that is just opening yourself up
                      I know. I weighed those words carefully before hitting enter. Alcohol has very little to do with the fact that I left them in.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As a teaser, I had voices coming from a casket during a Catholic Mass once...
                        There really ARE zombies!!! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Answer to 2nd question: I've got some good ones. I will think about which ones to share and post soon...with names changed to protect the innocent. As a teaser, I had voices coming from a casket during a Catholic Mass once...
                          That's cool that you can work with your Dad. If I tried that, he'd end up in a coffin casket as one of the customers. I look forward to the stories. If any are particularly inappropriate, you can always post them here: http://runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum

I look forward to the stories. If any are particularly inappropriate, you can always post them here: http://runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum
                            Hmmm...

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

http://runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum
                              You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

AroundTheHorn

Why? Someone is likely to drive by you and probably faster than someone jogging through. Is someone driving by even more disrespectful than someone jogging by?
                                apples/oranges my friend
                                Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.