New Shoes or Wear Same Old Crappy Ones for Marathon (Read 2168 times)

Cool Jump Suit

I have less than 2 wks before a marathon and I really think I need new shoes.  Not really sure if it is too soon before the race to buy or not.  But I have milked my currently shoes fore just about all I can.   I think the soles are worn out...

So, better to buy new shoes and hope they work for me OK  or  wear the old shoes and just deal with it??  Confused

So bittersweet,
    This tragedy
    Won't ask for absolution;
    This melody,
    Inside of me,
    Still searches for solution.
    A twist of faith,
    A change of heart
    Cures my infatuation.
    A broken heart, 
    Provides the spark
    For my determination.

mikeymike

Two weeks is plenty of time to road test new shoes before a marathon. A couple runs is all it takes, really.

Runners run

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

I agree.   Just don't change brands/styles...stick with a new pair of the old faithfuls.

Jeanne

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'd agree 2 weeks is a good amount of time if it wasn't during a time where I'd personally be tapering (or at least one of those two weeks).

Just how milked are the shoes?  I usually tell my fellow runners that if the shoes are still good but the milage is getting to "that point" then wear them for the marathon and reward yourself after with some new digs.

BUT, if you really feel like they're pretty warn down and you might be pushing them too far, then I won't wait any longer to start the new pair up.

And good luck either way!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Last year i wore a pair shoes for only the second time during the marathon, and the first run was about 4 miles the day before. I didn't have any issues. However, it was exactly the same shoe model, and about my 4th pair of that model. 

If you've have two weeks, that's plenty of time. 

Given that leg and feet soreness is a critical issue during the marathon, get the new shoes now.  

Buy some new ones and try them out in the 2 weeks before the race.  But if you are unsure stick with the old ones.  I usually like to get about 100 miles or more on mine before racing in them at any distance.  The last thing you want during a marathon is to have blisters and then have to drop out because you went wtih the new shoes.

Cool Jump Suit

Just how milked are the shoes? 

Prettty milked.....almost 1,000 miles!   Joking

I am going tomorrow night to check out new ones.  Don't know if I can get the same shoe or not. 

Thanks for all of the advice!!

So bittersweet,
                This tragedy
                Won't ask for absolution;
                This melody,
                Inside of me,
                Still searches for solution.
                A twist of faith,
                A change of heart
                Cures my infatuation.
                A broken heart, 
                Provides the spark
                For my determination.

Two weeks is also enough time to order online. I also vote that you should order the same ones you already have, just new.

Imminent Catastrophe

After 1000 uneventful miles, They'll surely last another 26. Why change now?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xhristopher

I'd say go ahead and get a new pair, which you'll need regardless, and decide after a couple runs in them. It could go well. If not, use the old ones.

I think if the shoes are right for you break in can be quick. This summer I took my DS Trainers out for 18 miles on their first run and declared them "broken in" after about two hours. You've got two weeks.

Two weeks is also enough time to order online. I also vote that you should order the same ones you already have, just new.

Running Warehouse has free 2 day shipping.

Prettty milked.....almost 1,000 miles!   Joking

I am going tomorrow night to check out new ones.  Don't know if I can get the same shoe or not. 

Thanks for all of the advice!!

In 2008, I got a new pair of racing flats (in a style I'd never used) about a week and a half before my marathon. I set a PR, won the race, and had a course record for a year.  

2 and a half years later, I just wore that same pair in another marathon this past weekend. The shoes don't quite have 1200 miles on them...around 1175 I think.  (Had I known how close to 1200 they were I probably would have wore them for my next marathon the next day as well which would have put them over 1200.)

I don't know if there's any advice in there...since I basically am saying it will work out fine either way, most likely. Just don't stress over it.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

After 1000 uneventful miles, They'll surely last another 26. Why change now?

true but it could possibly cause shin pain

Goals For 2011:

sub 2:30 800m

Sub 6:00 Mile (PR 5:34)

Sub 20:00 5k

250 Mile Club

The Running Green Girl

Two weeks is plenty of time to road test new shoes before a marathon. A couple runs is all it takes, really.

Yup, yup, I agree!

You have the power within you to do whatever it is you want to do. Rachelle Disbennett-Lee, PhD

www.therunninggreengirl.com

All due respect, there aren't too many situations you can say that "it all depends" (well, actually there are...) than this one.

If you are a very neutoral type of a runner and there is hardly any controtion of the sole other than possibly the rubber compressed a bit; and the shoes you had been wearing, regardless of how many miles you have put in them, are not causing any apparent problems like sore knees or ankle twisted or anything like that; then why change them?  I mean, is it because some magazine or shoe salesman told you that you should change them?

If you are a neutral type of a runner and you can actually feel the wear and tear of the shoes during the run and you're planning on getting the same model or at least very similar type of shoes, by all means, go ahead and get new pair and get used to them--2 weeks is definitely enough to try them out and break them in.

If you are NOT a neutral type and you can actually see some contortion of the shoe--for example, extreme wear on the outer edge of the heel or the outside of foot sticking out over the mid-sole or things like that; then I actually wouldn't recommend switching the shoes, providing they are not causing any knee soreness (loss of cushion) or anything like that.  This is because your running form actually has gotten used to that shape of the old shoes.  If you switch them to a brand new pair, that small change might actually cause some problem.  I know some people might just laugh about it but, can you imagine switching shoes from, oh, whatever the number might be, 25mm thickness of the heel down to 22mm only 2 weeks before you're expected to take some 26000 steps?  I mean, that 3mm change would mean extra Achilles pull and it would cause hell of a trauma to your calves--I can gurantee that.  So now you're talking about switching shoes with, say, certain angle of the heel, from inside to outside, to totally even?  What do you think it would do to your muscles and tendons around your ankles? 

It is hard for me to imagine anybody just running and running and running in the same bloody pairs over 1000 miles--you mean to say you've never rotate different types of shoes?  Rotating shoes would do so much more than just simply allowing them to last longer.  Far too many people only thinks of a workout--not even a program but just a few workouts here and there.  Training is only a part of a whole puzzle.  It's like worrying so much about the engine and never pay attention to tires--do you think a car runs well like that?  And when they talk about shoes, it's only how many miles you put in or  or motion control or minimalist or barefoot...or worse yet, what color!!? ;o)

Moving forward, when you do the final long run which I'm sure you have done 2 or 3 or sometimes 4 weeks before the marathon; take it as a last dress rehearsal.  Depending on the time of the year (temp could differ), you should wear the shoes you're planning on wearing for the actual marathon; same singlet and shorts (you never know if they chafe); try to do the run at around the same time of the day you're expecting to run the marathon (early in the morning, mid-day, etc.), have the same sort of dinner the night before, same kind of breakfast, same routine; this is one time I'd allow my runners to try out energy gel (not the same number) to make sure it is compatible to your stomach...  You'll need to find out those things in a carefully orchestrated fashion. 

I know some people run just fine without all these small details.  But even then, I'd say if they think a little more, they'll perform even better.  Performing well is not luck--some may have some luck.  If you want to think it's luck or genetic, that's fine with me.  But good perfomance comes from discipline and hard work; there's no way around it.  You can wait for your luck to come some day but you may be waiting for a long time.