Suggestions on training for my 2nd 5K (Read 496 times)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some training suggestions for preparing for my 2nd 5K. I broke my leg since the last one and my doctor told me to add miles very slowly. I added 1/10th of a mile every month for the last 12 months and have finally reached 3.1 miles on the treadmill. I'm afraid of hurting my leg again so I don't want to get back to road too fast but I want to run a 5 K again. Any help would be appreciated.
      Well, I'll hand it to you, that's adding miles slowly. Do you think maybe you could bring up the mileage just a bit faster?
        I talked to the doctor and he told me under no circumstances do I add more than 1/10th of a mile per month. My break was a spiral break on the radius bone in my lower leg.

Go Pre!

your leg is healed. run more.
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can you do some runs fast, and others slow? I'm no expert, but it seems that a couple fast runs a week, and the rest slow or anyway comfortable, is a strategy I've seen.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I talked to the doctor and he told me under no circumstances do I add more than 1/10th of a mile per month.
              Until when? That may have been good advice directly after the break, but surely you don't believe that it will hold true for the rest of your life, so how long until your leg is considered 'fully healed'?
              Slo

Wow, I'm with the others. Your increase sounds extremely conservative. Not knowing your sitiuation I can't recommend anything other than putting a call into your Doc and getting clarification. Good Luck !
                RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Well, congratulations on getting back! 1/10 sounds a lot like the general rule of not increasing mileage by more than 10% of your prior weekly/monthly mileage... 1/10 of a mile per month sounds wierd. However; I'm not a doctor and nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So, if that's what your doctor ordered... My guess is that you just want to finish a 5k without walking, right? Time should not be a factor. I think you need to focus on building miles at a faster rate to at least 1 run of 5 or 6 miles (i.e. double the 5k race distance) per week. After that, gradually start transitioning to road vs treadmill miles. The speed stuff can wait.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

The leg break was not caused by running, right? If not I'd say, if it feels ok, you're good to go. Does this doctor have a lot of experience treating runners specifically?
                      Any help would be appreciated.
                      Sharing your training logs would help a lot. 1/10 of a mile per month increase is only 1 2/5 increase in miles in a year. I suspect the Dr misunderstood the 'rule of thumb' or perhaps isnt a runner. Its always better to be cautions, but surely you can increase your mileage at a quicker rate. Even 1 mile (per week) every month only increases your today distance by 12 miles in a year (which is a a VERY VERY conservative increase also). I think an average, reasonably healthy person that wants to get good at runnng should be able to increase at at least 2 miles per month (at least) which will get you some miles under your belt in a few months... However, the more miles you run the better your running will get.....so getting your mileage up at a rate that doesnt get you hurt and helps you improve should be your goal (no one can tell you that rate, except you). If I were you I would definately revisit the 1/10 of a mile per month (this sounds like advice my wife would give me)..... Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching