Long Runs out of proportion w/ the rest of the week (Read 2158 times)

L Train

Note I'm just training to finish the marathon, so I don't need to train to run a 2:20 or anything. Just bop along at 3:30 to 4:00 hour pace.
    I'm not going to be holding myself back. Unless I have a legitimate concern of injury, I'm going to go run, run far. Nobby is completely right, I was looking at this the wrong way. I'm going to go out there and compete, not finish.
    I think the interesting paper would come from reflecting on what inside you changed between these two quotes, and then adding the experience you have (whetever it is) in the race itself.

an amazing likeness

As Nobby sez...you get a lot of different experts in a thread like this. Even from fools like me. But looking at your log, I'd vote that you are all set to knock off a pretty good spring marathon, throw in a couple of more of those long ones like your recent 18 miler down the Shore Rd and you'll have done more training that about 70% of the field in most recreational marathons. There's always some impressive beast like MikeyMike who can knock off something in the mid to high 2 something range, but they are pretty small number of the field outside of the big races. Some of those daily runs you've logged are on some pretty tough routes...Mile Creek is plenty hilly, wicked cambered and that rough texture of the pavement hurts. Wipporwill is plenty rolly, polly -- I usually head uphill from Cross Lane and then loop back to the Shore Road on Buttonball and repeat.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Running in the dark is like running in the rain -- where's the problem? Get a light, no big deal. Still, I think you might get sick if you push your long runs too fast too soon. Watch for signs of exhaustion and cut back if necessary: elevated heart rate in the morning and insomnia at night. Great discussion, by the way. I like Nobby and value his advice but find his "marathons are for gutting it all out with everything you have" perspective pretty limiting. Although I'm hell bent on BQ'ing, I see others who are perfectly content to just run a marathon for the scenery and camaraderie, and I think that's just super, too. Besides, without the Lumpenproletariat to back me up, I'd finish so far back in the pack it'd be sad.
          Running in the dark is like running in the rain -- where's the problem? Get a light, no big deal. Still, I think you might get sick if you push your long runs too fast too soon. Watch for signs of exhaustion and cut back if necessary: elevated heart rate in the morning and insomnia at night. Great discussion, by the way. I like Nobby and value his advice but find his "marathons are for gutting it all out with everything you have" perspective pretty limiting. Although I'm hell bent on BQ'ing, I see others who are perfectly content to just run a marathon for the scenery and camaraderie, and I think that's just super, too. Besides, without the Lumpenproletariat to back me up, I'd finish so far back in the pack it'd be sad.
          Econo: I like your posts too. So not that I'm trying to defend myself but just to clarify... If I came out sounding I was promoting elitism with the marathon, I wasn't. I have no problem people running a marathon for scenery or camarderie. But I still remain that that camaraderie comes with knowing that you did go through what the guy next to you went through; all those long runs and blisters and carbo loading and sore knees and chafed nipples... Getting up early morning still in the dark and lookng outside where it's pouring rain and think to yourself; "25 days to go..." and went out anyways. I have a picture of Frank Shorter who just won his fourth Fukuoka marathon, sitting side by side with Joe-Schmow (or more like Yoshio-Schmow because he's Japanese...) who probably finished 45 minutes behind Frank. Frank has his hand on this guys leg and they're both smiling. I remembered what he said about marathon--"Damn it! We all did it! We all went through the same thing..." To me, that's what running camaraderie is all about. This is a touchy subject and I actually prefer not to talk too much about it on the internet message board because there always seem to be some people who get it wrongly and think I'm talking about; "It ani't good if you're not bleeding to run it...." What bugs me is people settling with low standard. Setting a low standard and settling for less. When I was in high school and runing track, I wanted to be like Frank Shorter; not a 4-hour marathoner and be happy with a 54-year-old lady next to me. Heart-warming it may be; but I don't think that's quite "young and invincible". Sure, they are "young and invincible" and run a 4-hour marathon with half-ass-hearted training. But that's not "young and invincible" in his heart. And I feel today's society and attitude justify that kind of thinking among the young. Personally, I don't think it's good.
          xor

Buttonball
            Lumpenproletariat
            I am learning all kinds of new lingo.

Nobby, you're great. I'll buy you a beer sometime. Smile

On My Horse

As Nobby sez...you get a lot of different experts in a thread like this. Even from fools like me. But looking at your log, I'd vote that you are all set to knock off a pretty good spring marathon, throw in a couple of more of those long ones like your recent 18 miler down the Shore Rd and you'll have done more training that about 70% of the field in most recreational marathons. There's always some impressive beast like MikeyMike who can knock off something in the mid to high 2 something range, but they are pretty small number of the field outside of the big races. Some of those daily runs you've logged are on some pretty tough routes...Mile Creek is plenty hilly, wicked cambered and that rough texture of the pavement hurts. Wipporwill is plenty rolly, polly -- I usually head uphill from Cross Lane and then loop back to the Shore Road on Buttonball and repeat.
                Old Lyme is a great town, I just wish there was more extensive trails. Doing the same 1.x mile loops over and over gets a bit boring, although the unsure footing keeps you occupied Big grin

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

What bugs me is people settling with low standard. Setting a low standard and settling for less. When I was in high school and runing track, I wanted to be like Frank Shorter; not a 4-hour marathoner and be happy with a 54-year-old lady next to me.
                  Econo: Once agan, I was reading through what I've written and thought this part could be misleading (it's not my language...!). Surely, I do NOT think running 4-hour marathon is "low standard". I'd be the first to admit; I'm a sucker when it comes to watching some grandma finishing the marathon in 7-hours (in fact, I have a picture of such occasion, this old lady is finishing Grandma's marathon in 7+ hours and her daughter, who finished a couple of hours earlier and her friend, rushed to her and they were all hugging and crying... I wrote an article about that race for a local running magazine and, if I didn't use that picture, I was gonna!). But...you know what I mean! Someone like the OP, c'mon, if I were his coach, I would tell him to "Go get'em, Tiger! Don't settle for just finishing...!" But, again, it's just me...

Eat, Play, Run

I'm glad to see this thread, because I had similar concerns about my training.
                      whiny post removed Cool

On My Horse

Just a little bumpity bump for those who were interested with how this turned out. I ran 3:34:09, which was pretty good. I definitely went out conservatively, and from mile 17-23 I was running around 7:20-7:40 pace, before I died really bad and closed in 8:50, 9:50, 11:00 for the last three miles. My halves were about 1:46 then 1:49.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Father Russia I am impressed with your marturity and calmness in all your post. These quality I am sure served you well during training and running your marathon. Nice to have had you over the Spring Marathon Thread. Once again congratulations, and all the best for the track season. Keep running.

On My Horse

Thanks, I certainly will (although it might be a few years before I run another marathon Tongue)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Only a 3min fade in splits -- that's not bad at all, I'd think.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hey, good job! Thanks for providing the update.