Compression for training or recovery, or both? (Read 1152 times)

When I first started running, I thought what a good choice of exercise this may be as it appeared that it needn't be expensive.  Just me, some basic equipment and the road.  Suits me, and it must be said that I haven't yet bought loads of equipment.  I have a basic Garmin (FR 50), some good neutral running shoes, a drinks bottle belt and some inexpensive tracksuit trousers and old t-shirts.

I have just been recommended some compression tights by a colleague at work.  Apparentley these cut down your recovery time significantly and help avoid muscle aches.  My work mate is much more experienced than me and I decided to have a look online.  I have a few questions that maybe somebody can help me with...

Do people wear compression tights to run in,  rest in (post running) or both?  Is there a type for each?

Are there any specific brands that you would recommend?

Would you recommend them?  Do they make a significant difference?

Cheers,

Bernie

Prince of Fatness

I've worn them years ago.  The main reason that I did was to avoid chafing on my thighs.  The thing that I didn't like about them was that it got awful hot and sweaty under them.  I couldn't wait to get them off.  Now I just wear shorts and use a little body glide on some longer runs.  Much better.

As far as recovery goes I did not notice a difference.  There are other things that you can do to aide recovery, walking, some dynamic stretching, and also look at nutrition.  What do you do now after a run?

My 2 cents...

Not at it at all. 

I pretty much echo MrPHinNJ  -- they are pretty hot but I wear them on longer runs because they stop the chaffing which can be a problem for me on 10 - 13 mile runs...

I dont know of any special properties that help them cut down on recovery time (have never heard that)...

Champions are made when no one is watching

I've worn them years ago.  The main reason that I did was to avoid chafing on my thighs.  The thing that I didn't like about them was that it got awful hot and sweaty under them.  I couldn't wait to get them off.  Now I just wear shorts and use a little body glide on some longer runs.  Much better.

As far as recovery goes I did not notice a difference.  There are other things that you can do to aide recovery, walking, some dynamic stretching, and also look at nutrition.  What do you do now after a run?

My 2 cents...

Right now, I just try and eat as soon as possible after running and, particularly after my long run, I try and rest.  My job isn't very physical and I run in the morning, so I can be pretty sedentary afterwards. 

So far, eating right and getting a fairly good amount of sleep are the biggest things I have noticed affect my recovery.

L Train

I have a pair of the CWX tights and I've been told they can help recovery.  But honestly I'll wear them only when it's below 20 degrees pretty much just to help me warm up in the cold (once I get going it doesn't much matter what I wear on my legs when it's cold).

If you are buying them for recovery I think you are wasting your money.  Higher mileage people could probably benefit from quick recovery between harder efforts, but for us lower mileage people we are better off recovering differently. 

Try running more than 4 days per week and vary the effort. Keep the easy days easy.  Don't be sedentary after your run.  Build your mileage up slowly.  I know this sounds counterintuitive but if you do these things there won't be too many times you need "recovery".  

This is probably off topic, but I like to run long runs a bit fatigued as I think the training effect is greater (read "I'm lazy I don't need to run as far") .  So I try not to take a day off before the long run, but maybe the day after if I need to.

Of course all this talk is a bit mute, as my running is in the crapper this month due to life and ankle issues.

I hate wearing tights, ever, compression or not. However, after running (long and/or hard days), I wear graduated compression socks and I think they make a difference in recovery.  Not the over-priced sleeves, but rather ones that look just like dress socks. I've felt like I've always had a lower-leg circulation problem (feet get cold real easy) and this seems to help in many ways.

I sit on my duff most of the day and I've noticed when I'm wearing  them and I get up to walk around, my calves aren't nearly as stiff compared to when I'm not wearing them. 

Prince of Fatness

My job isn't very physical and I run in the morning, so I can be pretty sedentary afterwards. 

I have an office job myself and have been trying to get up and take a walk more often.  Just a couple of minutes.  All sitting around all day does is tighten you up, which does not help with recovery.  Light exercise is better.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

This isn't necessarily responsive, but I can tell you one thing not to do in compression socks.  I have some of the nice Sugoi ones that I now use for recovery.  No idea whether they actually work, but sometimes even a placebo is great.  One of the first times I used them was during my first marathon.  It was a very cold trail marathon and I thought they might help keep my shins warm if nothing else.  They didn't.  Not only are they not insulated, they got wet and helped heat leave my legs throughout the race.  I didn't notice during the race, but my bones thawing out afterwards was intensely painful.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

The theory is that they control the jiggling of the muscles from the impact shock and thereby reduce damage.

I think it's bunk, another marketing ploy.

Running is simple, why complicate it.  You have the basics.  I've had the same conservative stable of running clothes for years, my only major expense is races and shoes every 700 miles.  Get some body glide if you have chafing problems and forget the compression shorts.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This is just anecdotal, but Lisa Batchen-Smith uses tights for compression, and is wearing them even in 80+ heat -- of course she is running very high mileage (250+mpw right now I think).

I have no experience with compression anything. I might be curious, but I am pretty sure it would be more important if I would remember to try hydration and nutrition on my long runs, darn it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'm a fan of the leg sleeves / graduated compression socks.  I think they do help recovery and I have some I wear for long and/or fast runs and some I just wear around the house afterwards.

Especially if you are just getting them for recovery afterwards, you can probably get by with cheap diabetic socks from the local pharmacy.  Thankfully, I didn't have to purchase any of mine so I use the Zensah Leg sleeves for running and the Recovery Sock for sitting around at home.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I've raced a HM and run long in the winter with compression tights but always feel too constricted .  I prefer them for long run and marathon recovery.  Probably a waste of money in the big scheme of things but I figured it's worth trying as I end up sitting at a desk a lot and that is not fun.

Also, I have some compression calf sleeves, mainly because I was having some issues prior to Boston.   They worked out very well.  Highly recommended if you have tweaked your calves.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I have skins and I wear them after long runs of 16+  I do think they help but I am not sure they are worth the money.  The problem with knowing if they help or not is just too hard to prove.  Too many variables to prove that one thing did the trick.  I like them, I wear them on some runs when it is around 20 degrees and for recovery.  I would not plop down the $80 or whatever I spent on them again though.  However, I do feel confident enough to say that the only thing it will hurt is your wallet.
                                2011 Goals:
                                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)