Flying Pig in Cincinnati (Read 850 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Perfesser: You have to explain further about the eating please. I have been trying to do a good job of carb loading. During my short runs for my taper runs I could feel my legs were not the best. However, my legs actually felt good for the first 13.1. In the next 5 miles my legs started feet started hurting and then my legs. Once I got to mile 21 it really hurt. I had a bananna and a half before the race along with a large gatorade. I didn't sleep well Saturday night but slept great Friday night and took a nap Saturday afternoon. It really didn't seem to be my energy level as much as the pain in my feet and legs. I want to learn more teach me. I've had stomach issues in the past so I didn't take any gel shots during the race even though I carried them. Do you think my legs and feet could be because of what I ate or didn't eat?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

That is awesome PerfesserR. Congrats on the new PR. Are you doing anymore Marathons this year.
        2011 Goals:
      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Trent: No I did not wear a GPS device. I have an adeo and have had the speed and distance from Timex. I also have the Nike+. None of these seems to work very accuratley. I plan to give the adeo another trial now that the flying pig is over. I hate it when I get inaccurate data. I run on a bike train here that has mile markers on it. It is pretty flat but at least I get somewhat consistent numbers using it. Using my timex here were my times by mile. The thing is that I never felt I was really breathing hard at anytime so I kept my pace as long as I was not breathing hard. Could it be it just wasn't my day, did I not eat the right things, was it because I started out too fast or did I not train hard enough, did I not taper right. So many questions and I have no answers. Maybe one of you experienced runners could look at my running logs and let me know what you think. As painful as miles 23, 24 and 25 were I think maybe I need to run longer distances or miles per week or maybe just more Marathons. Mark my words though I have a three more flying pigs to go to qualify for Boston and I will do it! At the age of 40 I think I only need a 3:20.59 right. So I need to shave off 33 more minutes. So 22:30 down 33 to go. Mile Time 1 8:12 2 7:51 3 7:56 4 7:56 5 7:56 6 8:20 7 8:32 8 8:27 9 8:14 10 8:11 11 7:50 12 8:13 13 8:19 14 8:29 15 8:42 16 8:29 17 8:50 18 8:46 19 9:14 20 9:15 21 9:34 22 9:49 23 10:09 24 11:44 25 11:56 26 9:56
          2011 Goals:
        JakeKnight

Bearcat: Make your log public. You'll get all the help you need. You really and convincingly ran into that wall at 23, didn't you? Ouch on those last 2-3 miles. Fixing that'll be your first step on your road to that 3:20:59. I definitely think you'll have to experiment with nutrition during the race. Did you eat nothing at all? Did you take energy drinks and/or Gatorade? Finding what works for you in that department will likely allow you not to so dramatically slow down. Ask Trent to repost the oft-reposted info on glycogen. It explains pretty well why you need to take in something. Just my experience, but in good marathons - I finish feeling almost full. Seriously. I'll bet I took in 1000 calories (or more) at the CMM. I wasn't even hungry afterward. By contrast, after last years disaster I was starving. Finding that balance seems important. But the obvious thing in your splits is those first 5 miles. Just taking a guess, but I think if you did absolutely nothing different next time except went out 15-30 seconds per mile slower - you'd shave 10 minutes off your time pretty easily, and avoid that March o' Death in the last couple miles.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

Jake, here are my splits: MILE---------- TIME----------LAP PACE--------CUMULATIVE PACE 06.8-----------0:58:33---------08:37-----------08:37 12.0-----------1:42:34---------08:28-----------08:33 13.1-----------1:51:28---------08:05-----------08:31 19.3-----------2:42:38---------08:15-----------08:26 26.2-----------3:39:14---------08:12-----------08:22 the third segment had the best bands! (edited to make the table formatting readable)

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jake, here are my splits: MILE TIME LAP PACE CUMULATIVE PACE 06.8-----------0:58:33---------08:37-----------08:37 12.0-----------1:42:34---------08:28-----------08:33 13.1-----------1:51:28---------08:05-----------08:31 19.3-----------2:42:38---------08:15-----------08:26 26.2-----------3:39:14---------08:12-----------08:22 the third segment had the best bands!
              How did you get these data? Cool! Bearcat, I have been swamped, but I have an extensive answer to your nutrition question. Miles 20+ are hard for everybody and training and miles are only part of the equation. Long story short, though, when you slow down in the last miles it is typically a combination of inadequate glycogen (either because you ran too hard in the first miles or because you did not eat enough leading up to the run) and inadequate miles in training (although not necessarily inadequate long runs). In the meantime, check this: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/ed7f3851dcfb40fcb1f6bd1a628dd34d#focus
              JakeKnight

Jake, here are my splits: MILE---------- TIME----------LAP PACE--------CUMULATIVE PACE 06.8-----------0:58:33---------08:37-----------08:37 12.0-----------1:42:34---------08:28-----------08:33 13.1-----------1:51:28---------08:05-----------08:31 19.3-----------2:42:38---------08:15-----------08:26 26.2-----------3:39:14---------08:12-----------08:22 the third segment had the best bands! (edited to make the table formatting readable)
                Wow. That's like a page out of a textbook on how you *should* pace a marathon. How did you hold yourself back so well in the first 7 miles? And how hard/easy was it in the last 10k? I think we could all run a lot better if we could learn this trick. I was much, much happier with my recent effort - but my splits still varied almost 2 minutes from fastest to slowest, with - of course - the last 5 being the 9+ miles. I swear I'm going to use your splits as a cheat sheet on the next one. Your splits are frankly more impressive than your time.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Sorry I thought they were public. They now are. So will the bonk affect your legs and feet like they did mine. I had not felt this kind of pain since the previous year when trying to run 26 miles a month and half before the flying pig. Being the idiot I am I wanted to make sure I could actually run that far before the race. Felt good the first 13 but when I turned around and hit mile 17 this same pain hit me and had to stop and walk at mile 18.5. That was a painful 8 mile walk. I took gatorade in during the race as the need hit me. I tried to do every other station. I did not take any cliff shots or anything else. I worried about upsetting my stomach too much. Don't you worry about that? I honestly wish I could run this race again in a month with these same weather conditions. I know I can do better if I ran smarter. Thanks to all of you for trying to understand what I did wrong. I am starting to think it wasn't so much my training but maybe what I did during the race. Can any of you tell me what you usually eat the few days before a race. I have heard that the Friday night meal is the most important. I ate a big meal on Friday night and a big meal Saturday morning. A medium sized meal for lunch and dinner. I did not eat anything after 8pm. I also ate a bananna and a half around 4:30 and drank a large gatorade to get some carbs in me.
                    2011 Goals:

Imminent Catastrophe

Dude, pick your next race carefully. You're looking good to do it next time. How soon can you run a 3:35 and use it for 2009 Boston? (I can never keep that straight). Also - I'm *really* interested by the fact that you ran the CMM so slowly and then had these results 8 days later. I really wonder what the relationship was there, and whether it may have actually given you a boost. (Not that I'm recommending 26 mile training runs a week before PRing a marathon ... but it sure is interesting ...)
                    The 2009 Boston qualifying window opens Sept 22. I really think that running the CMM slowly helped a lot, I was pacing a guy who ran a 5:38 (third in his age group, by the way) and that forced me to keep it slow, in fact the entire race I was solidly in the aerobic zone, which I would never have the discipline to do on my own. It was frustrating at the time but I think it helped. But I agree with you, I would never recommend a 26 mile run just 8 days before a race. Trent-the splits are now posted on the Pig web site, and the math was just an Excel spreadsheet. BTW I have a correction, my fastest segment was the third, not the last, but it was only 1.1 miles.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bearcat, pain and weakness in the legs is about exhaustion. A bonk is when you run out of glycogen, and that effects how you feel from head to toe (usually you feel like you just want to lay down and die). So if you felt pain and weakness in your legs, I would not really consider that a bonk. The best way to prevent exhaustion is a good base of a lot of aerobic miles combined with good recovery. Also, it is reasonable to take it a bit easier on the uphills and, more importantly, on the downhills. Taking grades hard can exhaust your muscles to where they are too tired for flat segments, such as what you saw at the end of Pig.
                      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well miles 22 - 26 my legs and feet were killing me but when I got to the finish line and was finally done I was a sick puppy. I felt better after I got home had a couple of IBU and some food. After an hour I felt much better. However, today my thighs are KILLING me and I have an ankle injury I never had before. I am going to rest that ankle because I don't want it to linger. I was expecting the thighs but not the ankle problem.
                          2011 Goals:
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The leg muscle pain is usually the worst at day 2. Today, my friend, is day 2 Big grin Things should improve tomorrow. Nurse that ankle, but do keep moving.
                          JakeKnight

Sorry I thought they were public. They now are.
                            Okay, so I peeked at your log. More obvious answers in there. Sure, you've got to figure out the race day part ... the nutrition, and going out much slower than you did ... ... but I think you also just need to run more. A lot more. Your January, February, and March were barely over 100 miles. I think most people are going to hit a pretty hard wall trying to do a fast marathon on 25 miles per week. Yeah, you ran a pretty good April, but I'm convinced that what you do in January and February is more important for a May marathon. My advice to you would be to get your mileage up to a consistent 35-40 miles per week (at least) and leave it there for a while. Lots of slow miles. I think that'll do you more good than all the other little details.

Can any of you tell me what you usually eat the few days before a race. I have heard that the Friday night meal is the most important. I ate a big meal on Friday night and a big meal Saturday morning. A medium sized meal for lunch and dinner. I did not eat anything after 8pm. I also ate a bananna and a half around 4:30 and drank a large gatorade to get some carbs in me.
                              I PR'ed and qualified for Boston at my last marathon, which was my third attempt. I learned lots from my first two marathons. For the first one (Towpath marathon), I didn't eat much the evening before the race (too many logistical problems) or the morning of (too nervous - first marathon). I also didn't eat anything or dirink much during the race (too stupid). Also, my peak mileage was only about 40 a couple weeks before the race. I bonked real bad at mile 18. Preparing for the second race (Detroit marathon), I increased the mileage and ran a few more 20's. The night before the race, I ate a huge meal - mostly spaghetti, then ate 2 bananas and toast race morning. I also had started using GU on my long runs, which helped dramatically, and ate four of them during the race. I was doing well at 20 miles into the race, ahead of BQ pace, but my calves cramped up and I struggled in and just missed qualifying by 39 seconds. I look back and realize I didn't take in enough fluids during the race. The water stations were difficult to get to in the early miles. For the third race (Athens marathon - a small race), I increased my mileage and ran more longish tempo runs. The morning of that race, I ate three bagels, a Powerbar, and a couple bananas, and washed everything down with plenty of water. That was two hours before the start. Then right before the start, I ate another banana. During the race, I also ate four GUs,and my wife was able to hand me water bottles every 3-4 miles so I had plenty of fluids. I ran really well for about 20, but slowed down the last 4-5 miles. I didn't bonk completely, but it was a struggle to finish nonetheless. Still I was able to qualify (3:34 and change; 3:35 was my BQ time). The moral of my story is more mileage, with some longish speed/tempo work thrown in 1-2 times a week, and drink and eat lots before and during the race. I also chose a smaller race for #3 since I could focus on my pace/running, not worry about other runners cutting me off or tripping me, and could get fluids. I still don't have it figured out completely, though, and feel I can run faster.
                              The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Agreed. Your problem in the late miles sounds like inadequate slow miles. It sounds like nutrition was not at issue and that you did not bonk. I would pass on Hatfield & McCoy and spend the Summer building up your milage to the 30s or even the 40s, then target a cool late-Fall marathon to see where you are. You should shoot for a goal marathon in the Spring and try to get your miles up to 50ish per week by then. Don't get your miles too high too fast, and make sure to build in a bit of speedwork, but keep most of your miles easy.