active-dot-com (Read 1610 times)

preregister, & mail in registration whenever possible (avoiding active.com fees).

Whenever possible, I avoid Active like the plague.  Unfortunately, some races don't want to deal with your check and paper application.  They tack on a surcharge that makes it less expensive to register online.  The Keybank Vermont City Marathon is one example, this is from the site:

$15 paper handling fee applies. Paper applications may be mailed or hand-delivered; we do NOT accept applications via fax.

I'm trying to marathon my way around New England, and I will probably do the Green Mountain Marathon for $25.00 instead of VCM.

I ran the Irish American 5k Road Race in Malden MA on Labor Day last year.  When I went to sign up this year, I found that they had bumped their fee significantly and were using active.com and surcharging for paper applications.  Sent the RD an email telling them why I wouldn't be running their race, and signed up (at about half the cost) for the low-frills Bad Habit 5k instead.  Avoiding Active doesn't do much good unless you let the RD know.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Imminent Catastrophe

That could be Active's doing OR the RD's doing.  Depends on how the RD has things set up.

It was Active. They didn't turn on the register button.

I don't know the particulars but Ultrasignup is getting a lot of business lately.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Either Active or the RD could have messed that one up.  As RD, you can either automate the process and let the Active.com computer turn on registration at some predetermined time, or you can go into your control panel and turn it on when you are ready. The lack of a registration button does not tell the would-be-registrant who is at fault.

I don't know the particulars but Ultrasignup is getting a lot of business lately.

Ultrasignup seems to offer a much higher value to the runners. I wonder how they compare when seen from the POV of an RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

Either Active or the RD could have messed that one up.  As RD, you can either automate the process and let the Active.com computer turn on registration at some predetermined time, or you can go into your control panel and turn it on when you are ready. The lack of a registration button does not tell the would-be-registrant who is at fault.

Once again, it was Active. Their tech support guy said so and fixed it.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Their tech support guy said so and fixed it.

That is different.  If the tech guy said so, so be it. The symptom of the register button not getting turned on is not diagnostic, the tech guy's admission is.

Ultrasignup seems to offer a much higher value to the runners. I wonder how they compare when seen from the POV of an RD.

I know a number of guys that put races on, so I do know that there is another side to the coin.  Putting on a race is a much bigger job than I ever imagined, so there has to be a middle ground where runners and race directors feel they receive good value.

When Eric focuses his mad skillz on race registration, the world will be a better place.  Hopefully coming soon.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Imminent Catastrophe

That is different.  If the tech guy said so, so be it. The symptom of the register button not getting turned on is not diagnostic, the tech guy's admission is.

I got that the first time. I didn't think it necessary to give a complete troubleshooting log, I said it was Active because that's what it was. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh.  AAnd here I was as an RD implicating an RD as a possible source.

Imminent Catastrophe

Heh.  AAnd here I was as an RD implicating an RD as a possible source.

Is that ironic?

I got that the first time. I didn't think it necessary to give a complete troubleshooting log, I said it was Active because that's what it was. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

E.J.

Imminent Catastrophe

I was hoping someone would do that! 

Yuri Art

> spam
                            xor

^^^ spam

#artbydmcbride

Nobody expects the Spanish spam

Runners run