I HAVE to be doing something wrong (Read 1519 times)

Jazz hands!

So I ran 6 miles today. Hurrah! Longest run ever! I'm running a 10k in a about a week, so, that's good. It took me 1:43:02. That's 17 minute miles. I know we're supposed to run easy miles and all, but that. Is. Ridiculous. I didn't even walk. I wish I had, I probably would've made it in under an hour and a half. Here are my issues: 1. Cramps. I get side stitches / other assorted abdominal cramps (there's a nasty recurring one along my ribcage) really, really easily. Like, if I push the pace AT ALL. I don't think I've ever run faster than 12:30 miles, mostly because that entails lots of pain. b. My feet are killing me. The hurting starts in my arches around 3.5 miles and gets worse until I stop. It feels like I'm flattening my arches with every step I take. I wear a pair of beasts known as Brooks Addiction, which fixed my knee tendinitis but apparently have no arch support. I have heard nice things about superfeet green. Will they fix all my problems? iii. Possibly related to point b, my hips & lower back hurt like a mother when I go up hills. This could be because until now I have strenuously avoided anything larger than a speedbump, but could be related to the above foot issue. Ugh. I am a mess and I can't believe I have to do this AGAIN in a week. HALP, as the LOLcats say.
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

First of all, you are running and you haven't quit. Good stuff! Smile Are you eating or drinking before you go running? Aside from the obvious going too fast=side stitch for me, if I have too much in my stomach, I get cramps. I try not to eat or drink anything at least an hour before I run. Just one thing to watch out for. If you aren't doing any cross training, that might help you too. As for your feet, maybe insoles would help. I don't know much about the supergreens. I hope you get it figured out. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Dude don't fear walk breaks. Unless you are a natural runner you will GREATLY benefit from walk breaks especially on long runs. I find that on any more than just a couple miles I am faster if I talk walk breaks. Also one bit of advice take then before you think you need them. You will be amazed at your stamina.

Giants Fan

As for your feet issues, I had the same problem but moved into a stability shoe and can not believe the difference! Pretty much pain free. Just something to look into. How long have you been running? We all start somewhere, I think as long as you are still going, don't worry about the time. It will get faster as you run more.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'd say watch your posture on the hills. It sounds like you might be bending forward a little, I'm guessing because of the cramps. Instead, try to keep yourself standing straight. Concentrating on tightening your abs should help take some of the stress off your back. Something to think about on the cramps: This sounds like a problem I had a couple years ago, that turned out not to actually be side stitches. They were often bilateral and poorly localized, but otherwise felt like side stitches. They didn't go away over the course of a run (as side stitches tend to do), but instead got worse until I was doubled over and walking. Eating didn't change anything, breathing didn't change anything, supporting my liver didn't change anything, and they started to hurt when I did anything at all, including washing dishes. It turned out to be from twisting of the intercostal fascia (at least, this was what my PT told me, I've never been able to find any further information on it). I could reproduce the sensation by raising my arm, sticking my fingers between my ribs directly underneath my armpits (and some other spots) and inhaling. The magical fix for this seemed to be to do exactly that a number of times to massage them out, while stretching my arm sort of in front of my face and upward. That worked great for me, but she also told me that a good myofascial massage therapist could sort it out.
              Congrats on your longest run ever (yet)! That's a great accomplishment. With your arch and lower body aches, it might be worth trying the Superfeet. They work for some people and not for others, but they are relatively inexpensive and have a money back guarantee (I think), so it's cheaper to play around with insoles than try a new pair of shoes. I have been struggling with side stitches for the last year. Never had a problem and then one day they just showed up and now they come and go as they please. I asked about it here awhile back and mikeymike posted this link which has some helpful tips. For me I find that I don't get them with exertion but rather when I am running really easy. I think I'm not taking deep enough breaths. If you say you are already running really easy, try breathing out hard on the exhale and pushing on the stitch. Hopefully that helps.
                Hi there. My feet have a long history of being a mess. I'd suggest going back to a good local running store and tell them your troubles. And you can likely try some Superfeet there. I've run in them and they helped keep my feet from flattenning out. But I have new Mizunos and they feel beter w/o the SF greens. my feet are weird. It can be frustrating but the best advice I got from my running store was simple, "Running shouldn't hurt". Don't give up, it took me over a year to get to a point where I liked my shoes rather than just saying, "Well, these suck the least". I say go back to the running store because you want to make sure they're not over-correcting. That's what happened to me. Not enough stability, I get shin splints. Too much stability, I get shin splints. Finding that happy medium is immediate for some. For others, it can take quite a bit of trial and error. As far as the side stitches, I get them too. Other suggestions such as not eating too close to running are good. One other I use is to belly breathe. Relax and make sure your stomach expands as you inhale and exhale, rather than having your chest expand as you inhale. I also always exhale as my left foot hits the ground. I heard other people echo that trick. There is some physiological reason for exhaling as your left foot strikes. That and being relaxed, belly breathing really works (at least for me).

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not enough stability, I get shin splints. Too much stability, I get shin splints. Finding that happy medium is immediate for some. For others, it can take quite a bit of trial and error.
                  Another thought with the arch pain. Regardless of stability, I get BAD arch pain (battled peroneal tendonitis in my right foot for about 3 months last year) if a shoe is too stiff in the forefoot--which most moderate and high stability shoes are. Stinks, 'cause I apparently need moderate stability through the rear and midfoot of my shoes. What I finally found to work was combining my favorite low stability, lightweight trainer (NB 902/903...the Asics DS Trainer would be a similar shoe if this is a combination you'd want to try at some point) with its super flexible forefoot and a pair of Superfeet insoles. Right now that combination is the only thing allowing me to run without bad right knee issues. I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires that didn't work at all for me, even though they are reported to be the most flexible moderate stability shoe in production. My knees like them, but not my feet.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It sounds like you could benefit from some strength training for your legs and core. All of the symptoms you describe are likely the result of running with a heavy stride which puts a lot of stress on your legs. Try running barefoot on a hard surface to see what I mean. To do so without pain, you need to land lightly and with your weight forward to keep you off your heels. Some exercises to consider are squats, lunges and leg extensions for your quads, toe lifts or taps to strengthen the ankle dorsiflexors (to keep your feet from slapping down when you run), and good old sit-ups and back arches for your stomach and lower back. If you've had trouble with ITB pain you may also want to pick up an exercise back and work your hip adductors and abductors. This will help keep your pelvis level when you run instead of tilting with each step. Another thing that will help reduce the impact forces on your legs is to work on shortening your stride which will force you to land more on your mid foot and less on your heels. There is an excellent book on form called Programmed to Run by Thomas Miller. It is loaded with drills and exercises to help improve your form. Tom

Jazz hands!

Thanks for responses, everyone! I suspect you're all right in some way. Brooks Addiction is actually super-extra-duper stability shoe, which I'm kind of wondering if I need. I'm actually about to go out to my running store and get me some arch support--and I'm wondering whether I could get some atbilizing inserts and then put them in a pair of neutral shoes I have (Saucony Something), which were great until I upped my mileage last year doing OHR for the first time, and my right knee flipped out. Then the running store put me in these beasts. Figbash, I think you're probably right about the core thing--I tend to totally ignore any sort of non-running excercise. Hoping that you're right, I just 1/2 hour of core stuff. It was ridiculously hard, which seems to support your theory... if I can run 6 miles but 10 leg lifts hurt, that's probably a problem. I think that might also help with the stitches / cramps, too. Okay. Thanks for the input, I'll see if this helps.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Hey Squeaky. I just wanted to add my support. Quite awhile back I was "mis-diagnosed" as needing a motion control shoe and led to the Addictions and I only lasted 3 months before I had knee issues. It turned out I'm not a pronator and don't need them, but those things are bricks and can really do a number on you. In my case I switched to neutral (I'm a high arched semi-supinator) and have never had knee issues since. So you're doing the right thing to question them. My other thought is just something to keep in mind. We're all different, but I try to keep my long runs no more than 50% of my weekly mileage. Pace aside, maybe you could consider backing off the miles until you get things figured out. Perhaps fewer comfortable miles might be a better starting base than more painful ones. Take care and keep us posted!
                        ~ Fly ~
                        Only as much as I dream can I be.
                        veggies on the run

Jazz hands!

Hey Squeaky. I just wanted to add my support. Quite awhile back I was "mis-diagnosed" as needing a motion control shoe and led to the Addictions and I only lasted 3 months before I had knee issues. It turned out I'm not a pronator and don't need them, but those things are bricks and can really do a number on you. In my case I switched to neutral (I'm a high arched semi-supinator) and have never had knee issues since. So you're doing the right thing to question them.
                          Yeah--thing is, they fixed a knee problem I was having, and I've run 150 miles in them and they're only crappy over about 3.5 miles. I got superfeet green today after hearing about how great they are (and making extra special sure I can return them no matter what), and when taking my factory insoles out was kind of amazed at how squashy those insoles are and how flimsy the arch on those suckers are. I suspect that the arch pain makes me run funny to avoid stepping on my arches too much. If these work out well, they're probably going hiking with me at the Grand Canyon in a week.
                          My other thought is just something to keep in mind. We're all different, but I try to keep my long runs no more than 50% of my weekly mileage. Pace aside, maybe you could consider backing off the miles until you get things figured out. Perhaps fewer comfortable miles might be a better starting base than more painful ones. Take care and keep us posted!
                          Good point. I really do know better than that--last week I cut monday's run short because it was super crappy, and on wednesday was too dumb to run a pre-mapped route properly. Sigh. The Boyfriend also pointed out that I gave blood last Thursday, so there's that.
                            I haven't had issues with side stitches much but I've heard that doing a few sets of crunches or sit ups before heading out for a run can really help with that. Might want to give that a go.
                            The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                            • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                            • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                            • Complete a 10K fun run
                              I 'think' there is another factor that no one has mentioned in this string, and that is that you haven't yet established a strong base miileage. Your average MPW is pretty low right now, and in my opionon (for the little that is is worth) I think you probably need more consistency concerning days per weekand miles per week to be taking on longer individual runs. I know that as i progress in the miles, its not unusual for me to feel some off your same pains.... If I were you, I would do the following: -Get a gait test to make sure you are wearing the right shoes -slowly increase your days per week to 4 or 5 (and absolutely take the rest days) -be careful NOT to run too far for a while.....maybe 3 miles a couple time per week and 2 on the other days - so that your body can toughen up to the rigors of running Then after you have done the above running for about 2 months and had your shoes rechecked, THEN start consider increasing your daily and weekly mileage (and only by 1 or 2 per week)... I think some of your problem comes from a lack of consistency and then trying to run too far and too fast on a body that hasn't become accustom to the regors of running.... You can do it == but it has to be gradual....(again - my 2 cents for the little is may or may not be worth).... John

Champions are made when no one is watching

John Gives GREAT advice for you.... I think what might be going on is just the Increasing your mileage thing. It happens. Once I battled and got over shin splints, as I got over the 20 mile per week mark, my knees started shit with me. I did make a shoe change, with a GREATER degree of Stability, as I think the increased mileage was too much for my moderate stability shoe, My arches and lower legs were killing me, suffering major dead legs, and not enjoying running all that much. I needed something more stable to support the miles, and keep my arches happy. When your arches get the proper support, you take all that stress off of your lower legs, and Mine seem to really be helping me. ( although my knees are still cranky, but I think it's from a muscle imbalance because my calves were working entirely too hard and made for weaker knees and quads). We all benefit from slowing down, running smart, and listening to our body. You will find your magic combination, we all do at some point. Good Luck!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"