Do You Have To Love Running To Run A Marathon (Read 337 times)

DoppleBock

This is just some random post I found - But I think this applies

Has anyone read the excerpt of the new book that was in Competitor Mag this month? The Hanson brothers, as well as Jack Daniels have stated that you don't need to run more than 16 miles for a long run and gave some nice examples of why. I know there's been a lot of questions over the years about how the BT plans, many of which I have written, and how the runs aren't longer than 2.5 to 3 hours. Dr Daniel's was quoted as saying there is no physiological advantage to running over 3 hours. Yes, I do know there is a mental advantage for sure. One of the important reasons not to run more than 16 miles in a long run was that you should keep your long run within 25%-30% of your total weekly volume and this pertains to those running a 5k all the way up to a marathon. For example, if your long run is 16 miles, that means you are running around 48 miles per week. : )

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

My longest runs for my first marathon were two 17 milers at about 2:40-2:45. Finished one of the tougher marathons just fine, no real pain apart from fatigue and the time was not really all that great but the goal was to finish and I did that in fairly good shape.

Weekly mileage of 40 MPW for about 6 months anyway you can get those miles (obviously not 6 miles each day of the week, but with a 9-10 mile long run building up to 16-17 miles 3 weeks before the race) will let you finish the marathon just fine.

Mostly I think I want to run a marathon now because I worry at some point in my life, that opportunity will be gone physically as I age.  

Man, you're ONLY 45.   There are a lot of us that consider 45 a virtual youngster - It ought to be quite a few years before you break down...I know people in their 70's that run marathons so I wouldn't sweat age much unless you have some underlying health problems that are of concern for your future..  

Run a marathon when you are good and ready and when you want to.    I have a friend in his upper 50's that runs about 45/50 MPW and only runs 5K's.....and he's very competitive.     He loves it that way....  He doesn't want to do the extra training required to properly run a marathon and he loves racing almost ever week......  What ever you want to run - run - you can never run a marathon and still be a great runner........

Run what feels good to/for you but most importantly what you want to run.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

carlos49er

Sometimes I hear people say "I'm not a runner" and I think back to the book, Born to Run. I believe all humans are runners, some just choose not to run.

Julia1971

I worry that just a 2.5 hour run will not quite get me marathon ready given my slow speed.  I worry about boredom.  I worry about not spending enough time quality time with the kids and husband.  I worry about failure. I worry about being the last runner crossing the finish line after 6 hours or more.  Geez.

On 2.5 hour runs: That's plenty long.

On boredom: Yes, some days, it will be boring.  I'm guessing you're not jumping out of airplanes every weekend as it is.  Smile  You'll find ways to deal with it - vary your course, run with a group, listen to podcasts.

On kids and husband: Or, maybe you'll inspire them and give them someone to look up to.

On failure: And, so what if you do?  I'm sure you can Google a better quote but failure does not define you - if you're not failing, you're not trying in the first place.

On being last: And, so what if you are?  Someone's gotta be last.  Guess what?  You get the same medal.

Now get out of your own way and get out there already, old lady!

To see it as the "superbowl" of running is not correct.  Maybe, if we are talking about Boston or the Olympics and you are an elite athlete.

For the rest of us mortals it is something completely different.  Just about anybody could go out tomorrow and "run" a marathon.  With time limits of 6 or 7 or 8 hours, I'm sure you could do one this weekend.  After all, you are already running 30 MPW and have completed a number of half marathons.  You could probably run the first 15 miles and walk the last 11 or so and "do a marathon" like many people do.

But would doing something like that really make you feel like you've accomplished anything?

Maybe a better approach is to just work on slowly increasing your longer runs and see how that goes.  If you are finding that your weekend long run is getting to 15, 16, 17 miles and you are enjoying it, think about signing up for a marathon and set up a good training plan.

For me, I always find it more motivational to schedule my marathons as "destination" races, where I travel to some new place AND run a marathon.  It doesn't have to be far or a necessarily expensive trip either.  Just something special.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals