Light weight marathon shoe for neutral runner? (Read 2731 times)

The Brooks Launch is an amazing shoe. I plan to race with it come November.
      I tried the Brooks Racer T6 and got nothing but shin splints.  I'm just not sure I have a stride for a lightweight shoe over miles.   I'm going to a regular pair of New Balance, also for Steamtown.
      kcam

I use the Brooks T5s(older version of T6) for 10k and below but wouldn't use them for longer races than that.  I like the T5s but they're a little too narrow in the toe box for me or I'd use them all the way thru marathon.  Right now I use ASICS Gel Burrito, errr, Bandito for 1/2 Marathon to Marathon.  They're light and well-cushioned.

I personally use the T6, but I would recommend the Brooks Launch to 95/100 people.

My prewash:)

I personally use the T6, but I would recommend the Brooks Launch to 95/100 people.

What do you use for your training runs?  I have just bought the Brooks Racer ST4 and they feel really comfy.  I just hope they hold up to train in.  I don't run anywhere near what you do a week.  You must go thru a lot of shoes!

"Carpe Diem"

The Brooks Launch is an amazing shoe. I plan to race with it come November.

I agree. Bought those the day before Seattle RNR and they were perfect!

Marathon PR 3:25:23 http://26point2medals.com/metals.html
                I got a pair of the Brooks Launch yesterday, and took them out for a quick 6 miles at a bit faster than HMP.  My first reaction is:  Wow!  I really like them.  They are light enough to feel fast, and just soft enough that while I can "feel" the road, they seem like they will be enough for a marathon.  I should probably reserve final judgment until I get more miles on them, but so far so great.  Thanks to those that recommended them.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Glad the Launch worked out for you.

It appears the Launch are so popular that they are on "double backorder." I put in an order through my local running store and my first pair will come on Sept. 18th. My second sometime in October. ?? Get 'em while the gettin's good.

I too bought them based on this thread.  The shoes felt great on my little 3 miler yesterday.  Not sold on the the Red/Orange color combination yet, I am sure I'll grow into that as well.

Glad the Launch worked out for you.

It appears the Launch are so popular that they are on "double backorder." I put in an order through my local running store and my first pair will come on Sept. 18th. My second sometime in October. ?? Get 'em while the gettin's good.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-BMLNCH.html - In stock.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

And you get a 10% discount at Running Warehouse if you the code YOUNGD or go to Pete McGill's blog and click on the link there

The shirtless wonder

The Mizuno Wave Precision is a neutral "lightweight trainer" that comes in at about 9 ounces.  There is plenty of shoe for a full marathon there.  I use these shoes as my trainers.

The Mizuno Ronin is a neutral racing shoe that weighs about 7 ounces.  I think Mizuno considers it a flat but there is much more shoe than typical flats.  They are certainly good for a half marathon and full marathons.  I've tried my Ronins for some long runs and my feet held up well. 

And you get a 10% discount at Running Warehouse if you the code YOUNGD or go to Pete McGill's blog and click on the link there

Use cp20 in the "team discounts" in the upper right of the main page and you get 15%.

an amazing likeness

Any comments on the ASICS Speedstar 3 as a lighter neutral cushioning shoe for racing?

(hate the color...)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Any comments on the ASICS Speedstar 3 as a lighter neutral cushioning shoe for racing?

(hate the color...)

Very nice shoe. The color is a bit, well, yellow, but if you run on a dusty surface it changes to this rather attractive dull gold color. Apparently yellow+dirt=gold. Any other color plus dirt = dirty. For me it was one of those 'instantly comfy' shoes.

On the other hand I also tried the Asics Bandito which feels, to me, like it has a bit more cushioning but is actually lighter in weight. So with a lighter weight and more cushioning I'd probably favor the Bandito for the marathon except that the Speedstar feels a little roomier in the toebox than the Bandito.

For half marathon and less I like the Asics Hyper-speed but that's more of a racing flat whereas the Speedstar and Bandito are lightweight trainers.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.