Any one running Steamtown in October? (Read 781 times)

progman2000

Just curious - after not getting into the NYCM I am looking for alternatives - Steamtown is awfully tempting, although the potential for hot weather in early October is a little scary.
      Just curious - after not getting into the NYCM I am looking for alternatives - Steamtown is awfully tempting, although the potential for hot weather in early October is a little scary.
      Did it last year and will be doing it again this year!! AWESOME AWESOME marathon!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

I ran it last year, too, and can't say enough good things about the race. It was a very warm day, but that would not deter me from running there again, as it was unusual for that time of year in Scranton.

Not at it at all. 

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I had planned to, but it was actually cheaper for me to get to and stay in Portland, OR from Boston, so I think I'm going to do that instead.
          mattw1970

Injured

Running Steamtown this year as my first marathon ever! I Doubt the weather will be that warm in October. last year was not the norm for this area that time of year.
            INJURED
              I had planned to, but it was actually cheaper for me to get to and stay in Portland, OR from Boston, so I think I'm going to do that instead.
              Or you could just drive up Route 3 to keep me company at Baystate in Lowell. Clowning around

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'm running Steamtown! It will be my third marathon. I'm running it with about 10-12 members of the Shamrock Running Club out of Woburn, MA. Good Luck, Bob
                Timbodeener

I'm registered and have a hotel booked so I'm hoping to be there....a touch of runners knee could keep me away if it gets any worse than it is right now though. BTW it will be my first marathon....really excited about it! Tim

Hawt and sexy

I live here and train on part of the course, so it's a no-brainer. I don't think I am racing this year though, I think Steamtown will be a training run for a November PR attempt. I do have a few friends that might claim me as a pacer for this one though. Oh, and hot weather here is odd in October, last year was not normal temperature wise. But, on the good side, even when it does happen, the people that live on the course come out in full force to set up unoffical water stations. Chicago will never happen here. There is even a beer and donut station on the last mile if you feel the need.

I'm touching your pants.

Add me to the list. First marathon, too. I've already scoped out the hills I need to run around here for downhill training.
                      seeEricaRun

Awesome

Or you could just drive up Route 3 to keep me company at Baystate in Lowell. Clowning around
                        What's your goal time Dawg? I thought about that too, but the looped course already has me psyched out. It actually looks like I'm going to Hartford (eh) thanks to time/financial constraints. I would have MUCH rather done Steamtown or Portland. For some reason I'm feeling a lot less bad about hijacking other people's threads these days.
                          I ran here last year and loved the event. The course is similar style and feel to Boston, with about 20,000 less people. I would do it again some year. In case it's helpful, I wrote a lengthy race report here. Best wishes in your preparations. When it comes time in your training cycle to introduce some sharpening, I recommend a few downhill runs at easy, tempo, or marathon pace. Cheers!
                            What's your goal time Dawg?
                            Anything that gets me to Boston, so under 3:30:59. Training's going well so far, so I think I should have a good chance.

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Another Passion

Anything that gets me to Boston, so under 3:30:59. Training's going well so far, so I think I should have a good chance.
                              That's awesome news, Ed! Keep up the good training! Piggybacked highjack... out

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I ran this last year as well! It was hot as hades but I loved the race atmosphere. Nothing beats starting a race with a canon Big grin You can read my experience here I'm heading to the midwest for the other hot marathon last year: Chicago!