Did you hate running when you were young, but now love it? (Read 949 times)

I started running competitively at an early age. I am interested in learning about when (what age) and why people start running, especially those that start later in their life. I have also known several that hated running when they were young and now love it (late twenty/early thirty). Why the change?
    "Live Healthy" www.blonderunner.com/blog/ Goal: Under 18:00 min in 5K
      I ran track in high school and hated it. I was a two-miler, but didn't receive much coaching. It was the lack of good coaching, I think, that caused me to dislike running. My coaches were good at conditioning, but didn't help me put running in my head. I learned to love running a couple of years later in the Marine Corps. There, I met coaches who loved to run, knew a lot about it, and knew how to get the potential out of a runner. My competitive years were during this time, and the 10K and 3 mile were my races. Now, at forty years old, I run for the fun of it, and love it more than ever. The only time I "race" anymore is against myself. A couple of times a year I'll take out my stopwatch and run a measured distance, but that's about it. Thanks for asking.
      Do bears bear? Do bees be?

Cause I CAN

hated it...any running to me then felt like I was going to die. I'd think, god people actually do this for fun?
        Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
        http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In junior high and HS I ran track, but short stuff...100, 200, 4x100, 4x200. I HATED running anything more than a mile. Tried to get back into running a few times as an adult, but it always went the same...try to go and pound out 1-2 miles from day 1, end up in misery, quit. I probably had the wrong shoes, definitely had the wrong medthodology. 2.5 years ago found the Couch-to-5k program. Started running to drop my last 15-20#s....which are still firmly attached, BUT I just ran my first marathon almost a month ago. Most days I do love running. The days that I don't I still get out there, knowing that bad runs are normal, not a message that I should quit.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

In 8th grade, all the students had to run a certain distance, probably a mile. I was THE slowest out of 200 kids, and the results were posted in the gym! I will never forget that. At that point, I said I would never run unless forced to. I even told my future husband that when we first met, because I knew he did and I didn't want to give him the wrong impression. About three years ago, though, a friend knew I wanted to lose weight and said she would pick me up at 1:00 the next day to go for a run. When I protested, she said, "All you have to do is run from one telephone pole to the next, and then you can walk." I figured I'd do it to shut her up so she wouldn't bug me any more, and lo and behold, it wasn't as bad as I expected! She ran with me faithfully until I got injured skiing, and then I started C25K with an ex-neighbor two years ago. I'm still slow as molasses, but today is the one-year anniversary of reaching my goal weight. I had to diet to lose the weight, but running is the reason I've kept it off.
              When I was in junior high, I can remember I was the fastest kid in my class in terms of sprinting. I liked running short distances, but when it came to running "the mile" I had a hard time breathing with my asthma. As I went through high school, I never really enjoyed running and felt handicapped with my asthma. As I've grown older into and out of college, the asthma hasn't bothered me as much, and I've really grown to appreciate running.
              2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

today is the one-year anniversary of reaching my goal weight. I had to diet to lose the weight, but running is the reason I've kept it off.
                I ran in high school. Started back running 13 years later, in1989. Congrats!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

I always hated running as a kid. Slowest in the 50 yard dash in 3rd grade or whenever that starts. I would occasionally run around playing tag and stuff and that was ok. I liked soccer but where I grew up that was a boys sport only. Pretty much running or walking had to have a PURPOSE. Junior high I was in a car accident and on crutches for 4 months with damage to the cartilage in my knee and that provided me all the reason to not run I needed for another 15 years. That and sportsbras for the well endowed didnt really exist then. Shortly after moving to Oregon in 1995 (25 years old) I was desperate enough with my weight to try running a little on my lunch time walks and eventually did a 5K and was pseudo hooked. I loved it, but I would still fall off the bandwagon and stop running for 3-6 months and then start again. Did a few 5K's, I think the longest even I did was an 8 miler, but then I did a sprint tri. but shortly after that I stopped running, not sure why. Back then when life got busy, running was first to go. It wasnt until my first kid was born when I was 33 that it became a permanent part of my life. Actually in a ironic twist because I will be the first to advise that people NOT try a marathon too soon or on too low a mileage, it wasnt until I ran my first marathon on dd's 1st birthday (woefully undertrained and injured to the point where I couldnt run for another 8 weeks) that I became committed to running.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Well, I wasn't really a kid, but I started running when I was 16ish. I was trying to get ready for my scholarship application for rotc which involved the 2miler blah blah. I hated going out every day and running my little 3 miles. My mom would have to yell at me. And I was never consistent. It wasn't until I sold my horses and had time to focus on running that I really started liking it...
                      Didn't think about running when I was a kid. Sports just wasn't something I was brought up around (other than watching on tv). Didn't even really think about it until 2005. THen it was a way to lose the last few lbs from my last 2 kids. Not sure how or why I signed up to do a marathon about 6 months after I started running however I did. VERY undertrained. Took 6 weeks of afterwards cause of something I had read. I'm still wowed that I'm where I am today and didn't completely blow myself up the first year. I don't think running even became serious for me until after a health scare in 2006. Now it's in my blood and will probably die running.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Rundadrun27

I hated running when I was young. I used to get teased in school because when I run, I look like I'm trying to take off. As a result my nickname was 'Flyin Brian'. Now I don't care what people think. The overall health benefits of excercise outweigh how I look when I run.
                        Roses Revenge

I ran a little in gym class in school, but there was nothing really available for the girls to do. I'm pre-Title 9 and the powers that be were convinced that if we ran out uteruses would fall out. I've walked a lot over the years and tried running once in awhile, but never could go very far. About 2 1/2 years ago when I was 64, I decided I wanted to do a marathon (and then another marathon) and started training. I still walk more than I run, but I'm getting there. Now I've completed seven marathons, three half marathons and a 5K.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Hated it as a kid. I was overweight, wore glasses and was smart. Talk about an easy target. I tried out for track and was just awful. Got spit on my bullies hiding by a fence at the halfway point of one of the regular courses. Of course, when I see those idiots today, the only thing they have to say to me is, "Want fries with that?" But I couldn't run a mile and gave it up when I was 12 or 13 I think. My inlaws were marathoners and my older brother ran hist first at the age of 45. I became surrounded by runners. I worked in Boston right near the finish line and saw the runners every Patriot's Day and I had a choice: Resent them for doing something I'd never dreamed of or just do it myself. I just finished my first half and plan on running my first full marathon in the Spring. I'm no longer overweight and I wear contacts instead of glasses - but I think I'm still smart Wink.

I mocked every moron with sneakers for being dumb enough to run. Boring boring boring. Did that for about 40 years. Who knows why. Shoot me for saying it, but the Ipod makes a world of difference on many a day.
                                I ran track and hated it. Now that I'm out of school I love it. I'm not sure what changed. Maybe it's the freedom to run when I want to run rather than a set schedule.
                                And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus