The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Fred - Nice job on the slow build of speed.  That first workout you attempted is a big one to get back into speed with.  No matter how fit I am I have to ease into speed with either short repeats or slowly increasing the pace.

Caitlin - I can understand that - you've got to decide what's right for you and if you're not 100% committed, a 50 miler will be even more brutal.

James - Good to hear some promising signs with your hamstring.  It feels like it's been going forever!

Mark - Such a strange summer down here so far with hot days followed by very cool changes for this time of year.  Tonight it's not going to drop below 25C (77F) all night but luckily my run tomorrow morning is just recovery.  Then later tomorrow afternoon another cold change comes through just in time for piwi.  Our Friday morning run will likely be in cold southerlies and rain.

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Rune - LOL, I’m nursing a back injury caused by strength training. I had a few very good years without injuries though.

You seem to be losing the Viking genes, better stay out of Norway until you’ve recovered them.

Caitlin - whichever you choose we’ll be here to support you.

I will say that it seems like a very short turn around from the 50 miler to that 10k. You will only be able to give your all to one of those.

Fred - Oh, a Hansons fan!. I’d say maybe try to go for a slower pace the next time.

RP - You are truly a freak of endurance. You and Keen are in the top 0.01% of mankind.  I reckon you would also do well in the zombie apocalypse, since you would be able to run for hours on end. Both of you would also make for terrifying zombies πŸ˜‚

Mark - LOL you had a ready answer for that hahaha, so awesome! Well now not so awesome since you posted your plans all over the internet… 😞unless that was a diversion...

Piwi - I've read on Quora that crazy cat lady is a state of mind no matter how many cats, so I guess that's great news. You can be a crazy cat lady πŸ†I will leave the final say to Darkwave though as she knows better the legal aspects of it.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

RP - I know what you mean about not bothering for anything less than 30 minutes of running.  My solution is to simply not be as fast as you, so I don't get as many miles in the same time.  I, too, would love for my job to be as rewarding and inspiring as running.

Mark - Here it's the same thing.  Unless you're winning a major race, "Prize money" is really a gesture and a supplement to income.  My son came in 2nd in a 2-mile race last fall and won a free pizza.  I think enjoyed his "victory pizza" more than he would have a $20 check.

SteveChCh - I'd run into a streak of bad weather, which kept putting off my speed work another week, and then another week.  Back in December I'd done 3 x 1600 near 5k pace, but I missed too much time in between so while I had been working up, there was too much down time.  That's one reason I wasn't upset about not doing all 4 intervals.  I'll get up to the longer distance eventually.  Thanks.

Flavio - Yup, I've had a lot of success with Hansons.  I know what you mean about going slower, but much slower and I'd be doing HM pace intervals and I already have an HM run coming up (possibly in 36º rain tomorrow ).  I've been running on a lot more hills this training cycle, which is taking some getting used to, but it will pay off, even it if means not getting all the intervals done.

Rest day for me today.  As noted, possible run in the cold & rain tomorrow.  Friday looks like it could be a washout.  Heavy rain and 34º changing over to sleet and freezing rain.  I might be doing a double on Saturday to make up for it.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Steve thanks. Leaving shortly for the airport. Will pack the gloves. I will text you later.

Flavio 2 cats is plenty but I get out voted.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio I'm sure I'd do well in a zombie apolocypse because of may reasons. One of them would be the mentality of "dying isn't an option." The other is I'm not a cat person. Zombies like cats, or cats are part zombie. I'm unsure which one.

fred Sometimes, well actually almost rarely, I regret getting faster. Most of the time it's when I'm around slower runners and push the pace thinking I'm doing their easy pace. I'm struggling to run 8:30s and was dragging a runner to tempo pace the other weekend. One of the very few times I'll say sorry and mean it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - LOL you had a ready answer for that hahaha, so awesome! Well now not so awesome since you posted your plans all over the internet… 😞unless that was a diversion...

If zombies can read, then I think all bets are off.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

If cats are part zombies I also think all bets are off. We are doomed!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

fred Sometimes, well actually almost rarely, I regret getting faster. Most of the time it's when I'm around slower runners and push the pace thinking I'm doing their easy pace. I'm struggling to run 8:30s and was dragging a runner to tempo pace the other weekend. One of the very few times I'll say sorry and mean it.

RP - I think I know what you mean.  Though my son is way faster than me on shorter distances, he hasn't built up endurance for longer runs and I've done the same sort of thing with him:  running at what I thought was easy pace, but was too fast for him.  It's tough sometimes to judge others' ideal paces based on our own abilities.

I had a really good pace run with my RP this morning, despite it being 38º with a light misting rain.  We tackled the hills early and were behind our goal time, but picked up the pace for the second half of the 6-mile HM section and finished strong to hit our goal.  The trouble with having a great early morning run is by 7:30 in the morning the best part of my day is already behind me.  It reminds me of a quote attributed to Dean Martin "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  At the end of my morning run, I felt as good as I'm going to feel all day.

zebano

1. Zombie Cats are terrifying

Fred, having the best part of your day behind you is still worth it. You get to reflect on your win for the rest of the day. That said, I love sunlight so I run at noon which has the bonus of breaking up the workday.

CC I hope you give the 50 miler a try. It's understandable to not to but going through all that training, you should go for the finish line! Just my $0.02.

I did my first workout since Jan 2 and wow I'm slow. I'm hoping some leg speed comes back really quickly as I've got a 5k on the 19th. I also discovered that running a fartlek makes running on a treadmill bearable, and much better than being outside in -20 windchill (yes Mark, I'll trade for your stupidly humid days).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ccoakley

I guess you put your goals out into the world so people can hold you accountable provide outside motivation.  Seriously, thanks everyone. I’ve gone from definite no to probably 50-50, might come down to weather on the actual day.

Fred, 4 x 1 ½ is a pretty intense workout, seems like something you would want to gradually build to so 3 is a great start!  Where in the country are you?

RP, I’m in awe of your ability to keep pushing yourself without injury.

JamesD, I know how horrible recurring hamstring issues can be…keep at it.

Mark, humidity it hands down the worst running weather.

Rune, amazing how easy it is to still run on an injury and hope it disappears

Steve, 77 at night would be a gift in our summers

Flavio, hope the back is feeling better

Zebano, a month off is a long time but it should come back.

Treadmills…in my 20s when I did all my running at the gym before work I probably logged 8-10 hrs a week on the treadmill.  I found only 2 ways to make it tolerable: get absorbed in something visual (TV/movie) or play games.  My favorite was to pick a mph range (6.0-6.9) and then pick a distance (¼ mile) and at every ¼  mile look at the elapsed time and whatever the second was was your pace for the next ¼ mi.  So, if at 1.25 mi it reads 12:37 you run 6.7 for the next interval etc.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Zeb yes its always a bit of a shock when you restart speedwork. I haven't done intervals for months.

Fred I find my son starts quite fast then slows towards the end of a barely 6 mile run. He doesn't have the endurance because he hardly runs much but still has speed. I'm the opposite warming up slowly.

I run early but have a couple of beers around 5pm  so get my treat πŸ˜‹

Got some Pegasus 38s this week as they were cheap. Not great reviews on them but a solid daily trainer nonetheless.

I'm in Christchurch and meeting Steve soon for a run.

I had a very hot run here yesterday as I couldn't get out till about midday.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Zebano - I certainly share your preference for sunlight during winter, but I don't always have time for a 9-mile run in the middle of the day, so the joint runs with my RP are pretty much done before work.  I think your speed will come back as you get back into training.

CC - I'm glad you're sounding more optimistic about your race, though I understand not wanting to do it in bad weather.  Yes, 6 x 1 mile is a tough place to start, but theoretically I worked up to that by previously doing 3 x 1 mile at a good 20 seconds/mile faster; the trouble is that was a few weeks ago....

Piwi - I'm the same way when I run with my son; sometimes it seems like I've just warmed up and gotten loose and he's fading.  Good luck with your midday run.  Mad dogs & Englishmen, and all that.

Treadmills - I've used a treadmill 4 times.  3 times in the newly opened gym at work, which was just before Covid closed the office 2 years ago.  The other time was when visiting relatives in Tampa, Florida, in August - I barely survived a couple of 5-mile runs, so I used my in-laws' treadmill for my 14 mile long run.  I'm fortunate that the weather in NJ (your answer cc) is such that I can pretty much run outdoors year-round, though I may miss a day here or there.

Marky_Mark_17

Well the forecast for Monday's 10k looks like a continuation of the recent hot, windy, humid garbage.  Luckily there is rain in the forecast for Monday morning which would be ideal given the temps.

They are running the starts in 5 -10 minute waves, I actually quite like this because they've done it on expected finish time.  It's a two lap course so this will mean everyone gets spread out more which should reduce any possible congestion on the second lap.  And it means your competition is always in the same wave as you as well.

Given the course (a few hills, some trail, and a u-turn) and the weather I think it's gonna be a slow day again but it's still infinitely better than virtual races or no races.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark sounds like typical summer weather but at least it's a race and you should get to run with fast people like yourself πŸ˜ƒ

Had an awesome run with Steve today. He lives in a beautiful area and makes a great cup of coffee β˜•

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Had an awesome run with Steve today. He lives in a beautiful area and makes a great cup of coffee β˜•

When are you coming to NYC? I'm jealous of all of these other people who have gotten to run with you. The area I live in is not beautiful and I only have Nespresso pods for coffee, but...please?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)